Small Cabin Retreat New York

Started by Micah, January 16, 2009, 03:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Squirl

http://www.inspect-ny.com/

General Code for Composting toilets.  The question is do you need to still get a septic system for any other plumbing?

Squirl

For the well.  Do you need to have it drilled before you get the building permit or before you get the certificate of occupancy?

Micah

Thank you Squirl for that website! I spent almost an hour and a half reading it and didnt realize it. There wont be any other drains in the cabin except a kitchen sink. For that Im going to use a grey water system. I have to talk to the zoning officer about that. As for the well. That wont be drilled for a few years. The zoning officer told me that he would allow a storage tank system. We will only be there 2-4 days out of any given month, so theres no need for a big store of water. I plan to bring 10-20 gallons up with us, and if we run out I can always go to the store and buy a few gallons.

Redoverfarm

Micah just took a look at your cabin projection.   The Dogtrot does pose some problems but you can work through them.  One suggestion is to connect the two cabins via a single or double sliding or french glass door.  That will give you the illusion of being open but still provide the weather protection while moving from one cabin to the other.  In the summer months just leave everything open.  But you will still have to address the roof between the two.

Jens had a good idea as far as the mid centered fireplace flue. I am not real sure what the demensions are between the two cabins but for my Dogtrot I placed a fireplace mid center of the main area between the two cabins.  The fireplace outside demensions are 80" wide which allowed approximately 38" on each side.  There are three flu liners in mine and that is just about pushing the envelope as far as how many you can properly place in that amount of space. 

As far as the doors.  36" is pretty well standard and the cost verses a 32" is very minimal when considering mowing things in and out.  Also if for some unforeseen reason that anyone would need to get a wheelchair in it would be very difficult in a 32" door.  I try to look down the road.

Well if nothing else you have a little more food for thought.

Micah

Thanks for the suggestions Redoverfarm. I think for the time im going to build simple. Im on a very limited budget so simple and inexpensive are my 2 best friends. I just ordered the "Little House Plans" can wait till they get here and I can rifle thought them. 14x24 with loft I think is going to be my best choice at the moment. My building permit application should be here soon. Once it gets accepted Im going start keeping a better eye on  sales flyers and craigslist for materials.

b33b

Nice views and god work on the preplanning.  If you haven't already done so, check out some of the pictures in the gallery section to get an idea of what some of the choices look like, several show their interior lofts.

Your views will drive site orientation and windows but don't forget how the sun can move with the seasons.  I find my self moving to the sunny room and wish I had more of them.

The old houses and cabins were built around the fireplace for winter heat.  You may not plan on being there winters for awhile but some early spring and late fall visits can get pretty cool.

Might start letting neighbors know that you are interested in downed timber and start collecting.  It will be a long time until hardwood grows to firewood size and, by then, you will hate to cut it.

JustMimi

I found this thread very interesting, and wondered if you ever finished your cabin, Micah!  Let us know!

[cool]

Quote from: Micah on January 26, 2009, 12:13:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Redoverfarm. I think for the time im going to build simple. Im on a very limited budget so simple and inexpensive are my 2 best friends. I just ordered the "Little House Plans" can wait till they get here and I can rifle thought them. 14x24 with loft I think is going to be my best choice at the moment. My building permit application should be here soon. Once it gets accepted Im going start keeping a better eye on  sales flyers and craigslist for materials.