20x30 1.5 Story in Flagstaff AZ

Started by Matthewpeace, August 04, 2014, 12:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthewpeace

My wife and I decided that we wanted to build our own primary residence in our goal to become completely debt free.  After plenty of searching we decided on the 20 x 30 1.5 story plan.  We purchased property just outside the city limits that has all utilities available which will help the build in terms of simplicity.  Our goal is to be completed by the 1st of April 2015.  The county has so far been very pleasant to deal with in terms of permits as well as offering advice.  A few modifications to the plans had to be made to comply with local codes and snow loads here.  I will update as we go along.  Enjoy

[/URL][/img]
The new property ready to start digging
[/URL][/img]
[/URL][/img]
[/URL][/img]
[/URL][/img]
There is a lot of rock to dig through just to cut my driveway in, so we will see how this first week goes

Matthewpeace

pocono_couple

best of luck to you guys.. it is good to hear that your dealings with the permitting folks have been favorable...  looking forward to hearing about your experience and to seeing lots of pics!   jt

kalstar

Looking forward to following your adventure.

dablack

Can't wait to see how it goes.  Keep us up to date.  Our goal is also debt elmination.  We are building a two story with cash. 

thanks
Austin

astidham

"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

Matthewpeace

So its been a productive week.  Between working normal days at my job I found myself working on the property before work , after work and 13 hours a day Saturday and Sunday.  I was able to get to lot grading done, the house laid out and the footings dug ready to be inspected on Wednesday.  We encountered rocks, solid rock ledges on the last 20ft section of the footer.  That involved a lot of jackhammer work and hand digging out the crumbs. 

Matthewpeace

Matthewpeace

Matthewpeace

Matthewpeace

Matthewpeace

Matthewpeace

This is where we ran into the rock ledge

Matthewpeace

This is where I have to cut my driveway in.  Needless to say it was nothing but rock.  Two broken hydraulic lines and a lot of hours on the backhoe and I am getting through it.

Matthewpeace

Matthewpeace

Matthewpeace

rick91351

Hey this is important -  YOU GOT ROCKS!!!   :D  well just in case you did not notice.....

Looks good ......  One thing about it with those rocks your footing and foundation is not going anywhere....  If they stay put so will the house.  Keep on posting .....
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Matthewpeace

I agree that the foundation will be much stronger and that is worth the extra work to me. 

Matt

Matthewpeace

We have accomplished a lot this past week.  The footings are in and the stem wall is up.  My original estimates called for 4 yards of concrete.  That was not accurate once we were ready to pour.  It ended up being around 7.5 yards averaging 20 inches wide and 12-14 inches deep.  The block work came in around 580 blocks since I am building on a hillside.

Matthewpeace

Matthewpeace

Matthewpeace

Matthewpeace

Matthewpeace