20 X 36 in Central Utah

Started by suburbancowboy, June 16, 2011, 12:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdzone

Looks good. [cool]  Lots of bracing is a good idea.  It doesn't take much to tip the trusses over if they aren't braced well. Your 2 rows of OSB will help out a lot to stiffen things up.
Chuck

oifmarine

Looks good.  I really like your floor plan as well.  Can't wait to see the finished product!

astidham

nice work, the trusses go up fast!
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

suburbancowboy

With my in laws not being up this weekend I need to figure out a better way to get the osb up to the roof.  I will have the wife who isn't great with heights,  one step son who is terrified of heights and a 14 year old step son who is like a monkey.  I was going to start with the side that doesn't have any osb on it.  I can't man handle it like we did on the south side, just passing it through the rafters, so I was thinking of pushing the 5/8 osb up two ladders for the first row.  Then for the second row I was thinking of using a block and tackle approach where the wife and scared son would tie on the osb and the monkey son and myself would pull the osb up into place and then tack it down.  Anybody have any better ideas for a limited crew?

sako

Wow progress looks great, your plans must have came from my dream,it looks even better
in the pictures.We hope to start ours soon, keep up the good work and keep the pics coming.

Don_P

If you nail 2x6's or larger on edge from studs projecting outside and nail posts up to support the free end. Nail blocks under the horizontal and diagonals between the posts. Walkboards on top. This should place you in a safer location to work the bottom sheet. After that I nail up toeboards on that row of osb and do the next. Your help can usually slide up sheets on a pair of leaned up 2x's onto the walkboards. It looks like they could stock you from the high bank easily.

suburbancowboy

Update for the weekend.  We went up friday night and worked on getting the end boards put on the trusses so that we could start on the osb on saturday.  Well I found out that my truss crew on the weekend before switch on which side of the line they put the trusses on.  This was found when the outer board no longer lined up.  So on saturday we started on the other end which I had measured and everything lined up good.  So we got to cut out about 1/3 of the trusses and move them to the other side of the line.  Then everything fit great. 

It was hard work getting the osb up and nailed down.  I had rigged a pulley system to the trusses to pull the osb up.  I also nailed an extra board on the bottom of the truss for the osb to sit against.  I had a 14 years boy up on top and a scardy cat 16 step son on the ground helping the wife tie the osb to the rope to pull up.  We leaned two extention ladders agains the roof for the osb to slide up.  This worked ok but by 2:30 i was beat and called it a day.  Hopefully the in-laws will be up next weekend and we can finish up the roof.

Here is where we ended up by the end of the day.

suburbancowboy

More pics from this last weeks work.  I have my mother, father, brother and sister in law and some of the kids come up this last weekend.  This brother in law is a building inspector for a city not far from here.  It was his first time up.  Friday night we didn't get much done, mostly clean up and prep for the next morning.  We ended up watching "red riding hood" the movie in the bunk house.  In the morning I let the brother in law look at the plan and asked him what I was missing for the framing inspection.  There was 5 or 6 small things that I need to do.  The one big things was on the east side where the front door and widows are I put the hurricane straps on the inside the osb instead of the out side.

This was a job taking the osb off and putting straps on the outside of the osb.  This is what the women and kids worked on for a while.

The men focused on the rest of the roof.

Here a pic of how we got the osb on the roof.  I had rigged a double pully system to pull the osb up to the roof.  We had two ladders leaning against the roof, we would then lean the 5/8 osb against the ladders.  The outside person whould pull the osb over to the ladders and connect the rope.  The inside guy would pull the rope and slide the osb to the roof.  The two truss guys would then place the osb and tack it down.  This took us about three hours to get the rest of the osb on the roof.  Here is a pic of how things where set up.

Here we are trying to get the end boards on the roof.  That was a lot of work.  I'm glad my father in law age 62 isn't afraid of heights.  He is the one on the top.  30 feet up and 12/12 pitch roof.

By end of day all the osb was on and the end boards was on the west side.  You have to love good in laws.  It was my mother in laws birth day and she spent it helping us.  But what else can be better than spending the day with family working together.  Last time my family helped me like that was 1998 :-[

end of day

Next task for this next week is to get the internal blocking in and the rest of the osb on the outside.

suburbancowboy

I went up to do some work on the cabin last night after work.  I focused on doing some prep work for this weekend.  I have a couple of days off and I am hoping to get dried in.  Anyway when after I pulled up I felt like I was coming home, it was so peaceful.  I only saw one other person on the mountain.  The feeling really kind of surprised me.  It was like the scene in avatar when the guy says "things are different now, when I am a navi that seems real and being a human is foreign."  Has anybody else ever experienced this?

rich2Vermont

Oh yeah, definitely! We're more or less dried in, but when I get up to our place and it's so peaceful, I feel like I've entered my sanctuary. Can't wait to get up there again this Friday. My only regret is we have no view, certainly nothing like yours.

John Raabe

Nice work and a real handsome location. I do remember that feeling of connectedness. It's powerful but it can slip away with too much familiarity and a nagging to-do list.  :D :D :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

suburbancowboy

Well I have been busy the last four days.  Friday and Saturday the wife and kids came up and we put in over 100 blockings for the trusses and the walls and the rest of the osb on the north side.  We also got the end boards on the roof and tacked the rest of the roof osb down.

Here we are putting the end boards on the roof.

Here is me and the step son tacking down the roof.

This is where we got by end of day Saturday.

I took the family home on Saturday night for some rest.

Sunday morning I got up at 6 and headed back for two more days of work.  I finished a lot of things that my bother in law said needed to be done for the framing inspection.  I also finished the osb on the south side and the windows put in on the north side.  That stuff is heavy pushing it up 10 feet.  I also got the upper wall framing done on the east and west side.  I started putting the osb on the east side but when I would get them up and about to staple them they would fall outwards and about knock me off the ladder.  After this happens twice I decided to call it a day.  No sense getting hurt.  Where is a shot of the east wall framing.

I am going to take a week off to go camping with my daughter from Washington.  In two weeks hopefully I will get the metal on the roof.

suburbancowboy

Last weekend the wife, my step son went up to see what we could get done.  Friday we got some osb on the north end.  We also started on the roofing.  Got the sticky felt on the bottom and two rows of metal on.  After the sticky felt we went with vertical felt instead of horizontal.   We  would put down a row of felt then a sheet of metal with out having to move the ladder several times.

Here we are getting the metal on.

Here we are trying to get the east side finished.  Man the scaffolding was shaky and high up.

Here is the end of day progress.

Monday and tuesday I went up to spend some time on the interior framing.  I'm not sure if it is needed for the framing inspection or not. 

Here is the bathroom.  It was nice to work on something inside for a change. 

This last weekend I went and visited my daughter on orcas island in washington state.  The weather was great.  Never over 75.  The goal for this next week is to finish the roof, West end osb,  windows.  I will then be dried in.  YES!!!!!!!!!

duncanshannon

Looks great!

Are there trade offs for making the felt go vertical?
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

duncanshannon

Also.... 12' walls? How tall at the interior peak with the scissors trusses?
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 

MountainDon

Quote from: duncanshannon on August 14, 2011, 07:36:32 PM
Looks great!

Are there trade offs for making the felt go vertical?

It's wrong

You will use more felt than running it horizontally because there should be more overlap with vertical lap joints than horizontal lapping.

At least according to standard methods approved by codes.

Vertical placement would provide more points for wind blown water to be blown under the lap.

Probably more reasons why vertical is a bad idea.

I understand the reasoning behind vertical placement, but that still doesn't make it right. Better to hire out and have it done right.

My opinion of course.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

suburbancowboy

Don points out some of the negatives.  Positives you have to move the ladders less and it felt much safer.  I'm also about out of money for the project this year.  Lots of bad luck this year with cars, horses and kids.

The peak on the second floor is 9 feet.  It really feels like a full second floor.

duncanshannon

Quote from: suburbancowboy on August 14, 2011, 10:14:30 PM
The peak on the second floor is 9 feet.  It really feels like a full second floor.

12' 2x6 walls?

suburbancowboy

suburbancowboy

Well here's an update for the last weekend.  We got the osb on the north side tacked down.  When we put it up it was hard to reach the bottom sheets.  My step son is like spider man,  he loves this kind of stuff.

We also got the rest of the metal on the roof.  What a relief to get this finished.  Notice the reused of the wall jack, that is next to me.  That is how we got the sheets of metal up.

Sunday I also went back up and cut out five of the windows and put three in.  I had the other two windows but they ended up being bad.  I had bought them used and I guess I didn't check them close enough.  No biggy, just another 200 dollars for HD.  I also worked on the 2nd row of osb on the West side.  Another half day and I will be dried in.  Man I'm pooped.

Sassy

Great job! Your stepson is brave!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

nysono

I know exactly how you feel...pooped.  Im about a week ahead of ya as far as build goes.  few more good days and I should be dried in.

suburbancowboy

This has been a great weekend and a very frustrating weekend.  I spent the last five days on the cabin.  I finally got it dried in!! :)  I worked my butt off because I scheduled the framing inspection today.  It was set for 9AM.  I was sick with anticipation and nervous as heck.  Well when the old guy gets there I can tell this will be tough sell.  I guess that things must be slow for the county because he was very picky.  I had 4 things fail.  None of which I would have cared about.  His attitude was like a cop.  Not a very pleasant experience.  All together another weekends worth of work and another 200 - 300 dollars.  After all the work I put in I felt like I was punched in the gut.  I did gets some good info from him on how to do the plumbing.  Is this typical of most inspectors?

MountainDon

The only ones I've ever dealt with ranged from a folksy old fart who I got along well with to the rather stiff and proper but pleasant.  Picky yes, but on things that I'd say count. Like that collar ties were used along with rafter ties/ceiling joists.

What did he pick on, out of curiosity.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

suburbancowboy

The failed items were:
1. Not enough staples on a few sections of osb on the walls.  Some where spaced 12 inches versus 6 inches.
2. No foam under the seal plate.  I had been told this was optional with a crawl space. They said spray foam will be ok.
3. I used the 2" washers for the anchor bolt supplied by the foundation guy.  The foundation did pass inspection.  They want 3" square washers.  Put in where I can.  I crawled under there and it will be a major pain to put in.
4.  When I put the floor boards on I was told if I used staples I didn't need to glue the floor boards to the floor joist.  Well some of the floor boards have come loose over time so he wants me to re-nail all the floor boards to the joist.  This isn't even part of the code, how squeaky the floors are. 

Like I said before nothing huge just a big pain in the butt.  >:(