Building 6X12 Beams

Started by Rusman, November 21, 2006, 02:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusman

I about ready to get started on my VC in South Carolina.....gonna dig holes for Thanksgiving Day (I'm trying to convince my kids that it will be a great bonding experience! So here is my question...

I am building my 6X12 Beams using 2 X 12 PT with bolts and glue.....
...what is the proper spacing for the bolts? I know (I think) that I need to be 2 inches in from the top/bottom, and that they should alternate up, down.....but how far apart?

I was guessing around 20-24 inches...
thanks in advance for your help,
Rus
[timestamp=1164136271]

John Raabe

I would suggest around 18" with washers on both sides. When you use nails they are 6" o/c but bolts will have many times the shear strength of nails.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Rusman

Would nails suffice? If I were do use nails what recommendations would you have?

50 Holes through 6 inches of PT is a lot of drilling! I wouldn't mind missing that experience if I could, but I dont want to comprimise the structure starting with the first pieces of lumber...on the other hand I dont want to be pointlessly excessive.

thanks again, Rus

John Raabe

Yes, nails are what are normally used. Get a nail compatable with the wood (hot dipped galvanized or Zmax). I have shown nails spaced 6" o/c, 3" from top and bottom. Stagger any joints by 4' or more have have them break over a support. Use a nail that makes it into the far board - a 5 incher for a built-up 6x should be about right.

Checking with Wagner (House Framing) p. 75, 78 - he shows nails about every 10"-12" with three rows. I don't think the middle row adds much except to hold the boards in place.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Kevin

Drilling holes is not that bad if you get an auger bit. Goes threw the holes nice and easy.
The bit does most of the work.
Kevin

OldDog

I am surprised no one mentioned the glue!

If you use a latex glue, I would thin it with water until it spreads evenly with a roller or brush and get a even coat over the entire surface to be glued.

Bolts and washers are the way to go!

If the glue does it's job it will "out live all of us" ;D
If you live a totally useless day in a totally useless manner you have learned how to live