Adobe Brick Project in Australia

Started by Robbo, May 05, 2008, 01:00:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbo

Dear`All

Looking at all the work being done by owner builders, I thought you might be interested in this project, if I can get the photos to load

Hope this works

Robbo

glenn kangiser

Looks like you are getting it, Robbo.

You can just copy the bottom link in Photobucket and you won't have ot use the img link on the forum.  The one on Photobucket is already coded for the forum.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

I think you've got it.  What a cute little girl. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Robbo

Quote from: glenn kangiser on May 05, 2008, 01:07:57 AM
I think you've got it.  What a cute little girl. :)

Takes after her mother :), who, by the way, comes from the Laurel Highlands of SW`Pennsylvania

Cheers

Robbo

Willy

Since you were asking about my cabin I thought I would ask a few questions about your project, how do you vent/insulate the roof? How do you keep the adobe walls protected earth quake wise is there any re/bar tie downs ect to the foundation? Around here they require the walls to be tied into the building. Can you add some pictures of the building process and give us a little detail on how it is built. Adobe bricks won't hold up in our wet cold winters very well and hard to insulate unless you frame behind them for it. To build where I live you have to build for cold weather and pervide lots of space for insulation like up to 10 inches on the floors and ceiling and 6 inches on the walls.  Thanks, Mark

glenn kangiser

A question to add to that --

Are the mud bricks plain mud bricks or stabilized with asphalt or cement?  Do they have reinforcement such as straw? Thanks, Robbo.

hmm That was two questions.  d*

MountainDon

FWIW, here's what New Mexico State University has to say on the subject of adobe.

It's a PDF file, but only 56KB
http://www.cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_g/G-521.pdf.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Robbo

Quote from: Willy on May 05, 2008, 09:31:01 AM
Since you were asking about my cabin I thought I would ask a few questions about your project, how do you vent/insulate the roof? How do you keep the adobe walls protected earth quake wise is there any re/bar tie downs ect to the foundation? Around here they require the walls to be tied into the building. Can you add some pictures of the building process and give us a little detail on how it is built. Adobe bricks won't hold up in our wet cold winters very well and hard to insulate unless you frame behind them for it. To build where I live you have to build for cold weather and pervide lots of space for insulation like up to 10 inches on the floors and ceiling and 6 inches on the walls.  Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark

Thanks for your questions.

Firstly, about the bricks.  They are not true adobe in the accepted sense although they are sun dried.  Theye are a manufactured product called timbercrete.  The main ingredients are mud, sand cement, sawdust and more sawdust.  They have excellent insulation properties compared to traditional adobe.  I chose them because I like the appearance and texture of adobe but adobe was completely impractical in our sub-alpine environment, in gthe foothills of the Snowy Mountains.  The "R" rating exceeds that of double cavity fired clay brick.  In addition, they are way more resistant to erosion even untreated, but eventually these walls will be sealed with a clear sealant to offset any future possibility of water damage.

In terms of you specific questions.  There is a 150mm gap between the cathedral cieling and the roofing iron and tgis is filled with insulation.  No vents are needed.  It has an "R" rating exceeding 3.5 on our scale (not sure how it equates to yours but is is quite high for this country.  Insulation is also achieved thriough double glazing of all windows.

Earthquakes are not an issue here but in any event, the adobe walls are not load bearing.  The roof is actually fully supported by 250mm square posts (some are visible in pics).  The walls are mainly infil between posts but are reinforced every second course from the 6th course upwards with horizontal hoop iron straps running from post to post.  Also, wall ties hold the masonry to the post.

I will try and find some pics of earlier in the building process but to be honest, I didn't take all that many.

Best Wishes

Robbo