Newbie here

Started by cacheriver, October 14, 2009, 11:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cacheriver

I've been lurking around for several months and I want to say I am impressed with all of you. You have given me some great ideas to run with. I am planning on building something after the first of the year hopefully. My first question since I am planning on using the Sonatubes is what is the best type of concrete to pour? I am not very familiar with concrete and I was planning on using Quickrete and then found out they have all different types so I was wondering what ya'll thought would be the best type of Quickrete to buy and use? Thanks in advance for any help.

Randy

ListerD

It would help to know what type of structure you're building and what your regional area is.
"We shape our dwellings, and afterwards our dwellings shape us" -- Winston Churchill

cacheriver

I am in Northeast Arkansas and I was going to try building a 20x30 cabin. Something like this but want it built on concrete piers.

MountainDon

w*

The standard yellow bag Quikrete will do the job. It's very important to not get the mix too wet. That is the most common error I've seen. How are you planning on mixing it? If you're going to have a power drum mixer you might want to think about buying a sand-gravel mix and bags of Portland cement to make up your own concrete. It's much less expensive than buying the packaged goods. I've used both. Quikrete is great for smaller jobs.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

cacheriver

Thanks MountainDon. I was planning to mix by hand unless I have to rent a mixer. The reason for the premix is because like I said earlier I dont know much about concrete and it seemed simpler to me to just buy it ready to go with just adding water and and stir. I may decide after starting that I may want a mixer. LOL

cacheriver

I also noticed people putting rebar in the tubes before pouring the concrete. I have an abundance of old metal T posts from a fence that was tore down. Would you see a problem driving them in the ground and putting the tubes over them and then pouring concrete around the posts?

SkagitDrifter

Wecome -
I use Quickcrete for all smaller projects, like piers, but for each bag I mix in a half shovel of Portland cement.
I find it stengthens the Quickcrete and makes a big difference.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

cacheriver

Thanks SkagitDrifter. I might give that a try. Also, is there a much of a difference in the regular and the fast setting Quikrete? Other than the obvious timeline.

MountainDon

I don't know about using pipe for reinforcing concrete. I'm sure it would not be accepted by a code inspector.

Regarding quick setting Quikrete vs the standard, even if they were the same price I would not want to use the rapid setting for pier footings or piers. I'd feel rushed to get it mixed and in the hole, properly tamped, etc. Depending on environmental factors the rapid set gets impossible to do anything with in as little as 20 minutes. It's not any stronger than the yellow bag.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

If no inspections the t-posts could work but wrap them with barb wire for a better grip holding the whole thing together - around -- say--- two to four of them or so.  Otherwise follow the plans and use rebar if inspected.

The sand - gravel- portland cement Don mentioned is easy.  use equal sized shovels full - one formula as I recall is 3 rock - 2 sand - one cement.  Don't overwater it.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

If you have a harbor freight store nearby their mixers work pretty good or cheap. I have one that has mixed a lot of concrete and is still ready for more. Glenn nailed the average use mix, 3:2:1, gravel, sand, cement. A little extra portland cement will make for a stronger concrete.

I have a rock, gravel and sand vendor nearby and they sell the gravel/sand mix for about the same price as individual parts. That made it a little easier to haul it in one load rather than two. Worth checking into.

Bobmarlon

if you have never mixed cement before I would just get the quickcrete its gonna save you alot of hassle and if you do get a mixer get a gas mixer because you wont blow as many breakers buy under watering your mix.  Although ive only ever used a mixer to mix plaster.  Also you will get a more consistent mix with quickrete.  Aso having a big pile of sand cement and gravel just makes a mess.

If you your brave and live close to a cement plant you could always drive up to the plant with a trailer. Ask them to spray the trailer down with retardant and get a half yard of concrete then haul ass back to camp and shovel like a mad man.  I kid you not I saw landscapers pull this!

cacheriver

Glenn, I never would have thought of barbed wire. Great idea. Thanks

glenn kangiser

No problem.   I have read a lot of alternative building info.  Ken Kern and others used barb wire.  The barbs give the concrete something to grip.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.