18 x 32 cabin in NY

Started by John_M, July 10, 2006, 10:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_M

Well, I finally have things fairly well buttoned up for the winter.  We will start back again on major work in the spring.  I will probably "tinker" with a few things while out there over the next couple of months!

My goal this spring is to get it shingled and put in the septic system!

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions!  :)

http://ourlittlecabin.blogspot.com/

glenn-k

Sassy

Really enjoyed browsing through your blog - the place looks great!  Nice job - beautiful area.   :)

Sassy

John_M

Well, it sure has been a long time since I have offered an update but spring is approaching and we are getting ready to start up again!

We are hoping to get things sided this spring (we are going to use beveled cedar siding on the bottom and then cedar shingles on the top half) and then we can finally focus on the interior, mostly electrical and insulation. 

Next year we plan on the plumbing and septic and then hopefully, we can go out there and relax for once. d*

We wound up adding a completely enclosed mud room and will also add an outer deck as well. 

I really envy those who finish their projects up quickly.  We have been enjoying our first child for the last 8 months, so that has certainly taken a lot of time away from us.  We have only gotten this far in about 2 years.

I will post some pictures instead of the blog, but for now, this will have to do.  I actually have newer pictures to add and will hopefully do that soon.

...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

Sassy

Very nice, I really like what you've done - don't worry about it taking a long time - with a new baby & all - we've been working on ours for over 5 yrs - been doing it in stages - kept expanding - so now we have to finish the downstairs, do some finish work upstairs & of course, Glenn wants to get his underground extension to his shop done...  so - it will be awhile.  We also have to modify a couple experimental things which will entail a lot of work...  but it's totally liveable as is although I go through periods of really wanting the rest of the house finished  ::)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Redoverfarm

Looking pretty good.  The little one will be old enough this year to play in the sawdust.  As the old saying goes "It takes time to build perfection".  I usually find that I have more time than money.  Good Luck.

John_M

Well....a little more progress on our project!  One of these days I will get that photobucket thing figured out..but until then...here is a link to our blog.  Finally got some of the siding up...hope to have more progress by weeks end!

One thing I have told myslef over this long process....its a marathon not a race!!!  I have been at this for over two years now.  With a new son and only weekends here and there to work on it, I think we have made some ok progress!!!  ;D

://ourlittlecabin.blogspot.com/

Sassy

I really like what you've done - the siding so far is very nice - the shingles will really set it off - great job!  So where's a picture of your little one?  I like the way you combined the mud room & the open porch - keep us posted! 

(don't feel bad about not posting in the blog for awhile - it's been a couple years since I've posted in mine - kinda got discouraged when I lost all my pictures from my other computer)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

MountainDon

Nice Mike. I like the looks of the wood.. :)

I took the liberty of posting an image here.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

soomb

Congrats on the weeee one!

My wife an I are expecting #1 in Jan 2009, so I am sure it will be a game changer, but I hope to be out there hammering away on the weekends in the next 2 years.  So until then I will live vicariously through folks like you.

Beautiful place BTW.
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

John_M

Well, it has been quite awhile since my last update, but small newborn children sometimes slow down certain things in life that may not be priority #1.  Anyways, my wife and son (and future son to arrive in mid-february) have been busy doing what we can at our cabin.  We were able to finish the electrical work and most of the siding and are preparing to install our well and septic in the spring. 

Many of you have accomplished some amazing things.....and I'm really proud of what we have been able to get done as well.  I have included a few of our most recent photos and hope to have lots to show everyone in the upcoming year (I know ow everyone loves those pictures).  There is more information on my blog, which goes all the way back to the beginning a few years ago.  I know that there are a lot of new members here and I'm happy to share what we've done.  I know how helpful all of those photos and information were to me when I started!!

Happy Holidays to all and many wishes for a safe New Year!!!

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

John you have done a great job. It looks like you are over the hump now. You are probably anxious but now you have breathing room that it is air and water tight.   You can work at will on the inside.

diyfrank

Home is where you make it

jdhen

The house looks great, John.
I have a couple of questions for you on your siding. 
Can you talk a little about the materials you used? I see in your blog you mention that the shingles are cedar, is the siding also cedar?  What type of stain/finish did you apply?
Is the transition board simply a 1x nailed above the last piece of lap siding and does it act as the starter strip for the shingles?  One final question- did you nail the shingles directly to the sheathing or did you use some sort of furring strip to create a drainage plane?
I really like what you've done and I'd like to do something similar with my project.
Jesse

John_M

Thanks for the comments everyone....I do however prefer to use the term "cabin" though....."house" makes it seem much more overwhelming! ;)

To answer your question jdhen, I used a product by a company called Sikkens.  It is an oil based stain that I applied to the shingles before installing and the beveled cedar planks after.

I built a drying rack for the shingles so I was able to dip them at home and then let them dry.  The siding was harder to do ahead of time so I decided to do that after it was installed.  

I was able to purchase a used coil siding nailer on ebay that shoots the stainless steel ringshank nails I needed.  This was a great investment.  Both the shingles and the siding are installed over tarpaper without  a rain screen.  I just decided that with my big overhangs and the fact that I am not in a super wet climate, I would be ok.  I have tried to do everything right, but this is the first time I'm doing something like this so I'm sure they'll be some decisions I would like back!

Good luck with your project as well!  I have been following your progress on your 14 x 36 as well!!  It looks great!!