Portable Housing

Started by StinkerBell, February 28, 2008, 11:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StinkerBell

Willy

Hey that pretty neat! Looks like you could do the same with a container building yourself for a kids play area or just a getaway place. Mark

StinkerBell

The stackable cabins on the site made me think.

From my understanding we have a larger surplus of those shipping containers. Can't help but think that if the local government had some common sense they can use the surplus to make temporary housing for the homeless. Instead our local government made lovely housing for the local drunks with no restrictions to live free and continue to drink. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/05/us/05homeless.html?ex=1309752000&en=4379667f0e75cd38&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

I think that the local government could have got more housing for the tax dollar using the stackable idea.

glenn kangiser

Cool -- George can move to Seattle after he gets the boot at the White House, and he won't even have to claim he choked on a pretzel.  You Washingtonians have thought of everything.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

StinkerBell

Umm, No. He goes back to Texas.

glenn kangiser

You know you want him, Stink.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

StinkerBell

Only in a g string.......... :P

tanya

The portable buildings are pretty cool but I wonder about the same things the Katrina trailers have going on now with fumes and toxic substances, and by the way those Katrina trailers on the news looked a lot like any other camp trailer so I was wondering if long term living in a camp trailer might also be hazardous?   Portable housing needs to be as safe and toxin free as any other housing before I am going to move in. 

Now as far as delelict housing goes I am all for it, I would much rather stand in line at the grocery store with a derelict who has showered and washed laundry than one who has been sleeping in a lice infested cardboard box for weeks with no laundry or shower facilities.  Not to mention riding on a bus or attending church services. 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

StinkerBell

In general Shipping containers are empty. Just a steel structure. As for the Katrina trailers I am sure they have some issues with the materials used for carpeting and such. If you go into any mobile home they have signs up that say that materials used maybe hazardous.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: StinkerBell on February 29, 2008, 01:14:42 AM
Only in a g string.......... :P

I'd like to see him in a shipping container.

MountainDon

FYI;  Prices, single unit, delivered to NM

Thank you for your inquiry we are located in Santa Rosa, Ca.

20' Genesis  $ 12,750.00 EA.

20' Essential $ 15,390.00 EA.

20' Ultimate  $ 16,530.00 EA.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.

Thanks

Sean Taylor
Vice President Sales & Marketing
Global Portable Buildings
888-547-0840

http://www.globalportablebuildings.com/Portable_Storage.html
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

StinkerBell

I read just recently you can buy them used/emptied for about $900.00.
Then you can decorate and do all that fun stuff like windows and doors.

desdawg

Havng one that would fold up for transport would be handy. But at those prices, well, maybe not so handy. I have a site where I can't get one in without a lot of effort if then. My flatbed trailer has been up that hill many times however. Transport and unloading a regular container can be tricky business without the right truck and trailer. I had a 20' container loaded on one of my backhoe trailers for quite a while until I located someone that could lift it while I drove out from under. I had purchased the trailer and the container at the sme auction so it was the logical way to get it home but then...woops  d*. Once it was on the ground sliding it around with the backhoe was easy. BTW a tyical 20' steel container weighs in at about 10K pounds.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

They tried to deliver a 20' one to a friend last week after the rain.  City boy driver with a new diesel tilt bed truck and the container on the back.  Friends called me to pull him out.

He was a bit of a know it all driver, and wanted to do it his way so I said -OK - we'll try your way first.  He slid about 5 feet closer to the edge of the drop off when we did.  I went back and got the crane truck with the big winch and he came up with his next brainstorm.  I told him if we did it his way he would be into a tree and near over the edge so we were doing it my way.

A couple of setups and a couple of pulls and we had him up on top the hill again.  We told him to just drop it and get out of Dodge and I will go back there later and move it into place.  I charged them $150 but heard later that the wrecker guys up here charged up to $500 for the same job.  Oh well -- it was for friends.

desdawg

All drivers delivering containers are not created equal. I had a 40' container dropped and the driver couldn't get it where I wanted so he just dropped it where he could get to. I paid someone else $100 to get it into the position I wanted it. Sometimes doing something like that is just simpler. I have had another driver on two different occasions that would do exactly what I wanted no matter how much time he spent. He was excellent. He delivered a new one and moved an existing one for me. I like containers and currently have four in two different locations, 3 here at home and one up north.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.