Ponds

Started by FrankInWI, August 06, 2008, 06:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankInWI

One thing I would LOVE at our get-away is a pond.  Having a water view is so awsome, but I can't aford lakefront property. So many very capable DIYs here, but never seen ponds noted on the building sites.   Anybody out there have one and can share a little about the experience?
Thanks
god helps those who help them selves

Redoverfarm

Frank ponds are nice but believe it or not require alot of up keep.  Not to mention a place for the pesky Mosquito's.  Yes you can put the kind of fish that feed on them but they usually don't get the job done.  I believe I would opt for a water feature. Something that would have a small pond and a rocked falls and spillway. Use a cheap pump to circulate it back to the top again.  If you a pretty inventive you can create a natural looking stream and small pond. Unless you walked up or downstream you wouldn't know it's not real.  Just a thought.

John_M

We had about a 1/3 acre pond put in on our property about 4 years ago.  Best thing we ever did!!  Took a low, wet, unused area of our property and made it one of our favorite places!! 

Lots of factors to consider....soil type and water runoff being the two most important.  Slope of the land is a concern as well.  All were perfect on our property!!

Talk to your soil conservation department to see if you have the right soil that would hold water.  Then find excavators in the area who do that type of stuff!

...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

NM_Shooter

A relative of my wife built a small trout pond on his property.  He had a year-round cold water irrigation ditch running through, and he dug a 400 sq ft pond in a kidney shape, laid down pond liner and covered it with rocks.  He then piped in a 4" PVC pipe off of the irrigation ditch and a 4" return from the pond to the ditch.  The pond liner did the trick and it looks great. 

We have a couple of ponds on our property that were constructed by the earlier owners.  In the past, they have had issues with the spring runoff eroding the dam, but the rocks they have subsequently placed seem to be holding well.  There is some seepage through / under the dam, but not bad and it has been doing so for years. 

Lots of mosquitoes here, but they are in the marshes from the streams as well as the pond.  Just make sure and put fish in and you will be okay. 

How big of a pond are you after?
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

muldoon

I have been interested in ponds much longer than cabin building.  www.pondboss.com is to do it yourself ponds what this place is to do it yourself small houses.  I would start with ordering some of Bob Lusks books .. perfect pond...want one? is a good one to start with.  register with that forum and lurk a while to get the feel of the place and an idea who the main contributors are.  Alot of great people over there too.  If you have specific questions I can try to answer here based on my experience ...  but thats really where the experts are. 

TheWire

It think soil type has a lot to with how much water a pond will retain.  The more clay the better and the scum layer that forms on the bottom will also help seal it.  My neighbor had to fill his pond a lot the first 2-3 years but now rarely does.  Do you have a good source of water to fill it?

glenn kangiser

How big a pond, Frank?

One thing I found out after it as too late is to start the edges rather deep so not as much algae will form.   We have a 10 x 15 cement pond at the other house.

EPDM liners are great for smaller ponds.

We have a couple ponds at the spring but the clay here holds water well - only 1/2 gpm and also need to transfer some mosquito fish to it.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

FrankInWI

John_M 
would love to see those pictures... not showing on my computer

most of my lot is in lower area, a hundred feet from a creek (on neighbors land) and 300 ft from river.  High ground water, but SAND.  I'd have to use a liner I guess. I did one a big pond and I know it's not a effortless venture.  I do think I would love it enough to not regret it though.   Will take a look at those websites and books listed.   

Thanks All!
god helps those who help them selves

considerations

I think ponds are really great.  My situation seems to be leading to a rain garden, though.

Just remember about kids.  We lost a 4 year old here in March or April.  We were looking for him within 5 minutes, and he had never gone near the pond or showed any interest in it before that day.

The odds are low, the stakes are high.

glenn kangiser

Finally got a cell phone pix of our pond at the other place.

another

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

desimulacra

Glenn is that gleam the pond? Neat looking area have you got anymore pics?

Since ponds is the subject I'll mention the trick of using fertilizer in a large pond if the algae gets too bad. It causes the water to cloud and prevents the growth of said algae and weeds, seems wrong doesn't it?
In my fish pond I use the blue dye (bought gallon from Co-op $38.00) It workd great and I've had the gallon for YEARS.
West Tennessee

glenn kangiser

Yes - that is the pond ---

Sorry I didn't get better pix - just had the Blackberry at the time and it's hard to get a good pix because of the shade under the pergola and grapes etc.

One more rather washed out one from yesterday.  May have some old ones if I can find them.

Sassy

With all the shade from the pergola, we don't have a lot of algae build-up & the dogs use it for their swimming pool  :D ao the algae doesn't get a chance to grow.  The water is crystal clear & we have quite a few fish in there so wouldn't want to harm them with the fertilizer or blue dye.  Every-so-often I have to clean all the sludge at the bottom caused by the leaves & grapes that fall into the pond.  But I love it - looking out from the kitchen - I'll just stand there gazing out daydreaming...  maybe that's why Glenn moved me to the mountains  [crz]  Although I love the cabin & the mountains & views we have here.  Hopefully, some day we'll have our little pond & waterfall built for the uphill patio hydroponics - then I'll be able to see that from the kitchen &  bedroom windows up here - there is just something about water...  

BTW, I've had to put rocks & stuff all around to try & protect my plants as the dogs (our renters live behind our house & have several dogs, plus just got rid of 8 or 9 puppies) & my son & our dogs (3) they walk & lie on everything... 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Redoverfarm

But Sassy you do have a pond on the mountain.  I saw it in the pictures next to the bench and slate floor.  I think Glenn put bamboo around it.  ;D

Sassy

That is true, but I can't see it from my windows!   ;) 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

This should be easy - I have mirrors - large industrial size convex mirrors.

Redoverfarm

That's taking the easy way out. I suggest you move the room. c*

glenn kangiser

Maybe I should just send her up there to look at it.  Did she say she wanted fish in it? hmm

Squirl

Here is the USDA guide to building a home pond.  It is 96 pages.  I don't know how to post the file, but I will post the the link.  If someone can post the file, it should probably be in the free info section.

www.in.nrcs.usda.gov/pdf%20files/PONDS.PDF

What size does it go from being a pond to a small lake?  If I made one 5 acres is that a pond or small lake?

MountainDon

FYI Squirl, it is NOT possible to post files on the forum website. With things like PDF's you can link to the url so others can D/L from there. I also find it best to keep a copy on my own computer as some things tend to disappear/move after a while.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Thanks for the link Squirl.  I am working on stock water supplies from a pond/spring on the next mountain over and hoping to make water retention ponds on my place this year.  I saved a copy also.

Pond to small lake is in the eye of the beholder I think.

Squirl

Ok.  I will start a new post in the free info section.

glenn kangiser