Battery set up and installation

Started by MNJon, May 24, 2012, 02:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNJon

OK, with your help I have gotten started on my power setup. I am starting with (4) 6V Golf Cart batteries from Costco with 225 ah rating for 12 V 550ah. I will be using a Powerbright 2300 W inverter also from Costco as the Pure Sine wave is not in the budget yet. Charging will be via a 2,000 watt Champion inverter generator, (very quiet and fuel efficient) until  I can add solar next year.

Questions:

Do these batteries have to be vented?

Should I place them inside (I am in Minnesota) along an exterior wall with venting directly out if needed?

Should I place the inverter nearby but isolated from the batteries?

I have a perfect place for the batteries and inverter but it would vent near my propane tanks, is this a safety concern?

Thanks

hpinson

I'm going through this myself right now.  Assuming these are liquid lead acid batteries and not gel or AGM, they will vent waste gas, hydrogen, which you do not want to let build up, as it is explosive and corrosive.  So yes you want to vent.   

The batteries are sensitive to temperature extremes in that higher temperature will increase performance but decrease longevity, and low temperature will decrease performance, and subject the electrolyte to freezing more or less dependent on discharge state. 70 degrees seems to be the temperature that batteries like this are rated at. So yes, if you can, place them inside, optimally in some climate controlled place. 

Electronics should be placed away from the batteries due to the corrosive fumes that they emit.

Placing something that is potentially explosive near propane tanks sounds like a very bad idea. See Hyneman and and Savage, et. al.

If I might suggest a good book that is helping me (a lot): Photovoltaics Design and Installation Manual, by Solar Energy International. It is basic, but quite well written.

http://www.amazon.com/Photovoltaics-Installation-Solar-Energy-International/dp/0865715203/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337890587&sr=8-1