10x14 storage shed

Started by NathanS, November 05, 2015, 07:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NathanS

Hey folks, bought 24 acres in upstate NY this summer. Starting a homestead with my wife, and we are building the 20x34 universal 2-story next spring.

This fall we decided to put up a storage shed because our apartment is overflowing with chainsaws and winter tires.

144 square feet is the limit for no permit building in the great state of NY. I went with a 10x14 shed. I put it on solid concrete blocks on grade with PT skids. The whole floor is PT as well. Did not want to commit to slab or 48 inch deep piers because I may drag the shed to another location once the house, garage, barn are built. I also framed it stout enough to become a guest room some day, or who knows what else.

I'm a little under the gun because winter is coming. I have spent 6 fulls days building so far...

rick91351

[cool] in your spare time come to Idaho and build a couple here!!
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

new land owner

Looking good, Nice to see another up State New Yorker.

NathanS

We are in Chenango County. We really love it here.

Sheathed the roof today and started to frame the gable walls. It was raining off and on so had to let the OSB dry out a few times before walking around up there. Will put up felt tomorrow, weather permitting.

Lowes sells 8x3 metal roof panels for $25 and our local store has them for $16. It was the same story with lumber.

pocono_couple

looking very nice!   you certainly have been blessed with nice weather for this time of year.    we are in north east PA,  and  we are considering the past 10 days to be a bonus as far as getting things done outside!   keep up the good work!   jt

NathanS

It's been raining a lot around here. I should be able to get the metal roof on Monday/Tuesday next week. I have been trying to find board and batten from local saw mills. I know there is plenty of cheap hemlock around here, but I'm having trouble finding it.

I put 30lb paper on the walls by myself.. that would have made for some funny pictures.

flyingvan

Will you have some sort of vent up in the gable?
Find what you love and let it kill you.

NathanS

Right now I have the felt paper overlapping at the ridge. When I put the ridge cap on, I could cut that open and ventilate the whole ridge.. I left a small gap in the sheathing on either side of the ridge board.

For the next couple years it will only be used to store gardening stuff and tools while building the house.

On the other side of the shed I also framed out a door for an attic access. I'm leaving that closed off for now though.

SWOzarks

Great work so far, NathanS!

I'm planning on building something very similar for a home office in the near future. Would you mind sharing your costs to date for the building and maybe where you hope to end up in total costs (shed only)?

NathanS

So far we have spent $1,537. About $630 of that is from Lowes, and that was a kind of big screw up because if I had gone to our local construction store I think we could have saved at least 10-20%. The local store has 2x4x8 'construction grade' for around 2.30, and #1/#2 for 2.70ish. Lowes was around 2.96 for #2.

That number also includes a hammer or two, caulk guns, a $100 roofing safety harness kit (wouldn't go on a roof, especially alone, without it), and some other tools. Also, I bought things in bulk, like 50 pounds of 16d nails and probably didn't use more than 10-15 pounds of that.

We have 8 leftover sheets of OSB, which is $90 of 'waste,' but I'll use it for shelving and other misc projects.

I think we need about 450 sq/ft of siding, which will be used for the doors and windows as well. I can get 12" wide "3S" pine from the local store for .79 cents a foot. 3S pine has one rough side, and 3 smooth sides. It could be used for board and batten. I think including fasteners, hinges, bolts, locks we can have the whole shed sided for $500-600-ish. I am hoping I will be able to get board and batten hemlock from a sawyer down the road, we'll see.

The metal roof should be around $300 including fasteners, ridge and end pieces.

We will hopefully come in around 2200-2500. May very well be doable for under $2000 if you take out roofing harness, tools, and other leftovers.

astidham

Very good progress, looks good.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

NathanS

Didn't get a chance to work on the shed for a few days. Started the roofing. Will hopefully have it done by Wednesday, then will work on siding and doors.

I did the first panel without predrilling holes, and it took way too much effort to screw everything in. I tried to predrill the other panels but kept breaking my old drill bits. I picked up a new one from the store and might grab a few more tomorrow morning, as backups, so that I can predrill all the panels.

I felt like I had too exert too much downward force to get the screws started. Didn't feel safe doing that.

Also built a little roofing ladder today. Notched all the ladder steps and the part that overhangs onto the other side of the roof is very secure.

Roofing cost more than I was planning. The eave trim, ridge cap, and especially rake trim cost more than I was expecting. I also bought mastic to seal the rake trim, and I bought vented ridge cap sealers which brought the cost up. The roof whole roof is constructed to be ventilated, so I could put a wood stove in there and insulate if we want to change the function of the building in a few years.

A 10 foot rake trim was $25... $9 more than a whole roof panel. I guess that's how they get ya. This winter I am going to go to another supplier for a quote for trusses + all metal roof components.

The entire roof cost $600 including tin snips, screws, etc..

NathanS

Today was nice, so we finished the roof. Came out pretty good, could have done a better job on a few parts of the trim, but I'm happy.

The lumber store sold as twice as much ridge vent as we needed, so we should get back 60-70$. Total roof cost was about $530ish. In retrospect, as a shed, it would have been more cost effective to use drip edge on the rake, and just leave the edge of the panels exposed. I am happy with how the rake trim looks, though.

You can also see on the one wall we were about 1 ft short on drip edge.. So i just cut out a leftover piece of the rake trim to put there.

NathanS

Got a chance to start siding today, after being away for Thanksgiving for the week.

I'm just making all the doors and windows (shutters) from the board and batten I'm putting up. I forgot the hinges so I just propped the door up to see how it looks/fits. The plan is to do the first 8 feet of the building all the way around, building the doors and windows. Then I will do battens, then I will do the gables.

azgreg

Great looking shed you've going here.

NathanS

Thanks azgreg.

I had some time to do a bit more today, but the weather was pretty terrible. Calling for more rain tomorrow, but I'm going to at least get latches on the door and window to hold them closed. If the rain isn't too heavy, I might go ahead and do the double doors.

NathanS

A little more progress.. was tight doing it inside the shed, but I was able to build the double doors in there.

Once the shed is fully enclosed I will put up some weather stripping to make everything more water-tight. I'm thinking I'll staple felt paper on the inside of all the doors and windows as well.

NathanS

Had a few hours to get the front enclosed today.

I was finally able to leave my tools (except the saws and drills) at the property, which feels like a huge step. No more chainsaw in the apartment!

Tomorrow we should have most of the day to work on the gables, and time permitting start putting up trim and battens. I'm going to save the wall with no doors and windows for last, I think. I'm even debating putting up plywood + battens since no one will ever see that side.

NathanS

Had a few hours, so the wife and I trimmed out and finished the south wall.

Will finish all the other walls like this, then save battens for last.

Finally had some great weather, and tomorrow is supposed to be even nicer.

aktundra

Great progress.

The board and batten is a look I really like (helps I have a sawmill). 

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I know I learn a lot from build threads, so please continue when you do your house ! I'm a lurker that doesn't post a lot but I get great ideas from here. 

Don_P

This is how I do the bottom edge of board and batten siding to block the critter crack at the bottom of the boards. A skirt board is ripped with a 15 degree angle on the top edge then I just cut a 15* crosscut on the bottom edge of the siding boards. The battens then run to the bottom of the skirt and nobody notices it.

The splash line is going to be trouble, think about ways to keep that dry.

NathanS

That is a really nice detail, thanks Don.

By splash line, you mean the lower foot or so of siding that is getting wet when it rains? I don't think it would have been quite as bad if it wasn't an absolute mud pit right now from being constantly trampled during all the bad weather.

When I do the gutters on the house I could order an extra bit to put on the shed.

Don_P

Yes that is the wet line I was seeing, it will get better when the grass returns but that is where the trouble will begin. The drier you can keep it the longer it will last.

NathanS

Quote from: Don_P on December 06, 2015, 05:33:22 PM
Yes that is the wet line I was seeing, it will get better when the grass returns but that is where the trouble will begin. The drier you can keep it the longer it will last.

Thanks for the tip. I will address it once I have finished up the siding, which might not be till next spring.

Somehow the weather is sunny and in the 40s all week. Last year there was 8 inches of snow down already.

Don_P

Shhh, don't jinx it, we're starting a metal roof tomorrow  ;D