Fireplace

Started by diyfrank, May 23, 2010, 12:41:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diyfrank

OK, who can tell me. Who is this made by and is it junk?
I pulled this out of a demo job and it looks to be hardly used.
I thought it may work nice under a covered outdoor picnic out building or something along those lines.

Home is where you make it

Pine Cone

Can't tell you who made it, but they were popular back in the late 60's and 70's. 

Nice to look at a fire, but horrible to heat a building.  I worked at a place that had two or three fireplaces like that.  They got replaced by Vermont Castings stoves that increase the heat and cut wood use dramatically.  Your picture brings back some good memories of evenings past.

I'd love to have one for an outdoor picnic building...  Lots safe than an open fire.  For real heat I'll use an airtight stove.

rick91351

Use to see those in a lot of mid sixties homes early seventies if I remember right.  Seems they worked okay, however never was around them at all when they were burning.  Seems to be a great application in a gazebo or patio.
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

poppy

They are a great cheap fireplace.  We had one in an apartment that we moved out of at the end of 2001.  We used it every winter and loved it.  They were never meant to supply heat but probably do better than the typical modern masonry fireplace because of all the exposed metal.

I would have bought one for the cabin if I hadn't found the Franklin.

The apartments have since been turned into condos.  Not sure if they kept the fireplaces.

Now that I think about it, I may buy one anyway for a future rehab on a 1950's ranch house.

rick91351

Easy Poppy I own one of those 50's early 60's ranch houses and no way.   ;)
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

supershrpy

i read somewhere that stoves or fireplaces can be inefficient if not ventilated right. all the heat gets sucked up through the chimney flu - all the heat in the room as heat rises a suction occurs. hot air produced but is quickly sucked outside...

for real economic stoves as far as heat is produced i would say go with a rocket stove. go to youtube and check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=235m0EzZF4U

i think it would be awesome to see one of these in a countryplans home... i want to do this possibly w/ a 14 x 24 foot house.

rick91351

Welcome the to the forum... w*

I was merely kidding Poppy about those fifties / sixties fireplaces.  They are just not my style!  I don't think even if they were the most efficient stove / fireplace on the planet I could handle that in my house.   ;D  

Yes you are correct about some fireplaces and even some stoves that can suck a lot of heat out of a dwelling and into the atmosphere.  You could certainly use a rocket mass heater in most any build.  In fact one of the forum members family does indeed use a rocket mass heater in their home.  

If interested in rocket mass heaters Amazon books offers Ianto Evans and Leslie Jackson book Rocket Mass Heaters: Superefficient Woodstoves YOU Can Build.  

Paul Wheaton does post some things here and this is a link to Youtube - this is my favorite (though he claims poor video is better than no video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKHVoCY2so  Paul also has more postings on YouTube concerning Rocket Mass Heaters.   Also check out http://www.permies.com/ if you have never been there.

handyman

There were fire places just like that made right here in Santa Rosa, Ca. in the 60's by Malm Fireplaces.

They were kind of a home industry, but were replaced by the air tight wood stoves.  We had one that was not too bad.

waggin

Wow, that brings back memories!  We had one in our family cabin.  It puts out "heat" as long as you have a hot fire burning in it.  With no ability to control air and no thermal mass to store or radiate (guessing that is how things work) heat like a woodstove, they're not even remotely efficient.  It would look groovy next to your conversation pit though.  Just be sure to buy matching lava lamps to complete the swingin' decor!
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

diyfrank

Quote from: waggin on May 28, 2010, 03:53:54 PM
Just be sure to buy matching lava lamps to complete the swingin' decor!

lava lamps, got it  ;)
Home is where you make it

JavaMan

YEAH Baby!   8)   :)

I wish it would stop raining here... I have things to do besides hang out here...  ;)