12 x 20 Storage building

Started by new land owner, April 13, 2010, 07:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

new land owner

This is my summer project

I want more storage on my lot so I can take advantage of the deals I keep finding.

I have built the trusses already

I plan on placing them 16" on center due to the snow loads.

My next issue is the headers for this building.  I have a supply of 2 x 8 material and am wondering if it would be strong enough for the headers.  The door will be 36" wide and the windows less than that.  I am going with 2 x 4 walls for this building.

I also plan on putting a 6' opening in the end of the building and am I right in thinking that there is not much of a load on the end of a building and that it is on the sides?

MountainDon

Quote from: new land owner on April 13, 2010, 07:36:48 PM

I also plan on putting a 6' opening in the end of the building and am I right in thinking that there is not much of a load on the end of a building and that it is on the sides?

Gable roof = big loads on side walls. The ends more or less just hold themselves up.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

new land owner

Went up a couple of weeks ago to get the foundation in.

Woke up to this

There is no better way to "dig" the post holes

The foundation is in ready for the next step

I have the Rim joists and the floor joist cut to size and loaded in the trailer for next weekends trip.

I also have the top and bottom plates cut and marked on 16" centers

I also bought a new tools (toy), a framing nailer.  I used it to pre build the corner post as well as the header.

new land owner

Went up this weekend to get started on my project

Started with this on Sunday afternoon after it rained all day..

I was working alone for most of the day and had to figure out how to stand up walls and not have them fall over.  I used a 2  4 frame to stand the wall against and then plumb them true.

After I put up the walls I ran a string line to make sure the walls were stright.  I also started to put up the rafters.

I had to figure a way to get the end trusses up by myself so I attached a temp 2 x 4 and slide them up the walls. 

Even though I know it is not a race I went from the base to this point by 1:30 in the afternoon.

I had precut all headers, Top and Bottom Plates and all studs so it went fast.

I made a door out of osb so I could secure the building until I get up there again.

This is how the inside looks with the raised trusses I built.  The top part of the ceiling is 10' off the floor

My next project is to get power to the building

One last thing I saw OSB near rochester at a lowes store selling for $8.97, the best price I have seen in a while, but when I went up north the Lowes up there was selling it for $12.99.  I asked it the would match their own price and they did as well as giving me an additional 10% comp price off.  I used 32 sheets on this project and just by asking I saved about $150.00. 

It never hurts to ask.

SouthernTier

Holy smokes that a lot of progress in a weekend (day?), even with everything pre cut!  [cool]

Good to see yet another upstate New Yorker on the forum.  But if you are going "up north" from Rochester, you must be up in the Adirondacks?  Tug Hill?  That early May trip with the snow must have been the same Mother's Day weekend I saw the snow down in the Southern Tier (http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=8853.msg116003#msg116003).

new land owner

I think it was the same weekend.  My land is a place called loon lake 15 miles from Saranac Lake, one of the coldest places in the winter.  That is what we call "upstate" NY.

Here is a link to last years project.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=6670.0

I am going to create my version on the adirondack great camps.lol

SouthernTier

Nice area.  We camp a lot over at Rollins Pond, not too far from there. Great Canoeing.

archimedes

Nice job, very organized.

Did you use 6 X 6 for the post and beams?
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

OlJarhead

https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257/loonlakebound/DSCF1310.jpg
Your trusses got me thinking.....

Why not do the same in a cabin like ours?  I have 2x6 rafters that have collar ties in the top 1/3rd and I've never liked how they sit on the wall.  It creates a bench of about 3 inches between the birdsmouth and the inside knee wall.

If I were to cut 2x4's I could join them to the 2x6's and run them up to the collar ties like you did.  This would add additional insulation to the roof and provide a much better anchor to secure them to the wall.

I'm curious as to everyones thoughts?  One thing to bear in mind though, is that I'm pushing the limits of the 2x6 floor on post and piers which is one reason I didn't put in 2x8 rafters (or larger).  I'm probably fine (the floor didn't mind the 300 lbs (or so) wood stove being set on it and moved around) and I plan to do so foundation reinforcing work too but I'm thinking I like your trusses :)

bayview

Quote from: OlJarhead on June 12, 2010, 10:20:42 AM

I also like the way you were able to extend the inside height while allowing for additional insulation. . .

Are you going to place a rafter vent between the soffit and the attic space?   (Between roof deck and insulation)  Allowing air flow from the soffit, over the insulation and vent out of the top of the roof.   Or, would you allow the insulation to contact the roof deck, and vent the attic.  Or?

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

new land owner

Quote from: SouthernTier on June 12, 2010, 08:15:44 AM
Nice area.  We camp a lot over at Rollins Pond, not too far from there. Great Canoeing.

I think rollins ponds and fish creek are the same area and we have camped there in the past. 

My family bought a one room school house in 1963 so I have spent quite a bit of time up in that area.

new land owner

Quote from: bmancanfly on June 12, 2010, 09:57:29 AM
Nice job, very organized.

Did you use 6 X 6 for the post and beams?

I used 5   6 x 6 PT for the posts, for each beam,  and 3  2 x 6's for the beams.  All joints were over a post.  They were guled and nailed together.  I then used scrap peices of PT 2 x 6 to secure the posts to the beams.  I figured this would be a good use of the left overs.  I also never know what to do with leftover PT as it can't be burned?

I did buy metal ties to secure the beams to the floor joist.  I think it came out very secure.

new land owner

Why not do the same in a cabin like ours?  I have 2x6 rafters that have collar ties in the top 1/3rd and I've never liked how they sit on the wall.  It creates a bench of about 3 inches between the birdsmouth and the inside knee wall.

If I were to cut 2x4's I could join them to the 2x6's and run them up to the collar ties like you did.  This would add additional insulation to the roof and provide a much better anchor to secure them to the wall.

I'm curious as to everyones thoughts?  One thing to bear in mind though, is that I'm pushing the limits of the 2x6 floor on post and piers which is one reason I didn't put in 2x8 rafters (or larger).  I'm probably fine (the floor didn't mind the 300 lbs (or so) wood stove being set on it and moved around) and I plan to do so foundation reinforcing work too but I'm thinking I like your trusses :)

I don't think adding 2x4 stock to the sides of your trusses would add much weight at all.  I set all of my trusses by myself and it was do able. he only issue I now have is that the my 2x4 stock hangs proud of the wall by about 2 inches.  I have 2 x 4 walls I don't think this would have been an issue with 2 x 6 walls.  I will need to create some kind of soffit to cover this area.

new land owner

Quote from: bayview on June 12, 2010, 12:48:38 PM

I also like the way you were able to extend the inside height while allowing for additional insulation. . .

Are you going to place a rafter vent between the soffit and the attic space?   (Between roof deck and insulation)  Allowing air flow from the soffit, over the insulation and vent out of the top of the roof.   Or, would you allow the insulation to contact the roof deck, and vent the attic.  Or?

/

I will be using soffit vents and my intent is to install vents on the gable ends so I do not have to put and holes in the roof.

new land owner

Went up this weekend.  Spent some time relaxing, did not get alot done.

I did set up some temporary lights. I bought a service panel but have not decided how I want to set it up yet.

I also created a temporary fireplace,  and stairs to get into my building.

I also spent some time sawing lumber at my brother in laws.   I Plan on doing some wainscoting in my cabin and I am sure we will cut our own on his saw mill.

Going back up next week and hope to put in the windows, Door and wrap the building.

new land owner

I had the week off and went up to spend some time working on my project  and relaxing.

I got the windows and door installed in front.

I made temporary doors so I could get large items in and out of my building

This is the view from the inside.

I did get a chance to get out on the lake in the canoe.

We did have a couple of visitors checking out the new building

John Raabe

Nice project and you are surely making good progress!

Those look like nice sturdy site-built trusses. Straightforward solid design.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

new land owner

John

Thanks for the positive comments.

When I built the trusses I set up a very large Jig on the floor of my garage and it really help to make sure all of the trusses came out the same size.  I have bought your 20 x 30 house plans and got the truss idea from that.

Next year I hope to start my cabin in the woods.

John Raabe

Maybe that's why I seem to like the idea.  8)

But I think yours are easier to build and probably stouter.

new land owner

This weeks project was to get power to my storage building. 

If it would not have been for my brother i would still be digging the trench.

I took my time and drilled every hole at the same height to pull the wire thru.  I ran three circuits two for power and one for lights.

new land owner

Spent the last week at camp. I got the roof on and finished siding the front. 

I have set up the inside as a tool shed.

This picture shows a view from last years project, the screen house, towards the tool shed.

John Raabe

Nice photo with the screen building. This is turning out to be a handsome compound of buildings. Siting to make a shared internal yard is a classic layout.

Solar Burrito

Looks great. What lake is that with the canoe?
Small Shelters, Off Grid Living, and Other Neat Stuff http://solarburrito.com

new land owner

It is a small lake in upstate NY called Loon lake

new land owner

Took some time off this past week and went to the lake to do some work.  I got all of the walls insulated.

The weather could not have been better to work in.  I went for a small snowmobile ride on Thursday but most of the snow was gone by Saturday.   I found a deal on a door for the side of my building so I installed it over the weekend.  I found the door at a local lumber yard it was only $150.00

can't wait untill spring to get the rest of the siding complete.