Deep Pier Foundation Enchilada Bonus

Started by dogneck, March 29, 2008, 04:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogneck

The deep pier calls for 8" concrete foundation piers on w/gravel or concrete footing.   Many suggested using the bigfoot.    The plans shows minimum 6" ground to beam.   How high can you build these sonotube piers.
I have a hillside and the low end would require approx 18" off ground.  I'm thinking 10" tubes anyway.

Also plans calls for 6x12 beam 24' long.    by laminating 3-  2x12s and 2 layers of 1/2" plywood glued.   
If I got 12" long beams what would be the pattern so joints are staggered min 4'.     Do they only mean the joists or the plywood too?

John_C

If the footings and soil are adequate the piers could be quite tall.  My FL house was a stilt house essentially built on piers.  The footings were 24" dia. holes bored 3' deep in the coral rock.  The piers - columns were 16" column blocks with a steel cage in the center tied into the steel in the footings.  The main living floor was 9' above grade and was basically a 6" reinforced slab with tie beams.  The roof was poured in similar fashion 11' above the floor again supported by reinforced, columns.....  think parking garage.

In the mountains of western NC the downslope poles - piers - columns are sometimes 20' or more tall.  They do need to be properly  engineered, but 18" ought not be a problem.

John Raabe

First the beams - If you can get one of the piers to line up you could easily do this with 12' stock

The plywood should be cut to fall between the joints in the joists.

Here's my article on pier foundations: http://countryplans.com/foundation/index.html

You could easily go 8' high with 10" tube piers that are minimally reinforced. But do check out the soil.

(If you meant to type 18' rather than 18" for the downslope height then you will need to have bracing and probably engineering.) ;)
None of us are as smart as all of us.