Our 11.9 x 16 Jemez Guest Cottage

Started by MountainDon, August 22, 2011, 09:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

This is a very early thread start as at this point we have just finalized our decision of the overall size. Basically a 12 x 16 foot, minus an inch for the width loss with T&G sub flooring.

No drawings at present, just a photo of the paper pieces we've been moving around on the graph paper.

(((photo deleted)))

2x6 walls, propane wall heater, door and large windows in gable end walls most likely. Bunk will be built into wall, daybed movable and serve as sofa. Door in lower left corner, end wall. Counter space to be determined as to size. 5/12 roof, no loft; don't want that many guests all at one time.

The plan is to clear the location and maybe start the foundation this fall; maybe just dig. Too many other things on my plate to try and rush forward and get dried in before snow closes drive in access.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Barry Broome

Damnit Don just call it a 12 X 16 already.... besides I'll be watching this one close as that's the size I'll be building next year on the river. It's no wonder as clean as you keep a work site that you'd name the thread EXACTLY the width of the cabin.... but that's why we love ya Don.. :o

"The press, like fire, is an excellent servant, but a terrible master."

nathan.principe

cant wait to see more!  Not sure im understanding how you would lose an inch in width from subflooring tho??? Wont your exterior walls line flush with the floor frame???

Native_NM

Quote from: Weasel on August 23, 2011, 08:22:40 PM
Damnit Don just call it a 12 X 16 already.... besides I'll be watching this one close as that's the size I'll be building next year on the river. It's no wonder as clean as you keep a work site that you'd name the thread EXACTLY the width of the cabin.... but that's why we love ya Don.. :o

At least he didn't call it the 362.712cm x 487.68cm guest cottage....now that would be exact!
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

MountainDon

I could build the floor frame a full 12 feet wide. However the T&G subflooring would not fully cover the 12 foot width.

A 48 inch wide sheet of T&G subfloor material is 48" wide before the T&G is milled. The milling causes a loss of a half inch per sheet, making the sheet cover 47 1/2 inches. With three sheets across the 12 foot width you end up short across the width, Piecing in a small strip is not good building practice, so I plan on making the building slightly narrower.

There may be suppliers of subflooring sheet goods that make T&G sheets that provide a full 48 inches coverage, but all the T&G I've seen work out to 47 1/2 inches coverage.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Quote from: Native_NM on August 23, 2011, 09:46:28 PM
At least he didn't call it the 362.712cm x 487.68cm guest cottage....now that would be exact!

I only do metric for bottles of adult beverages unless I leave the country; then I do mental conversions to the closest round off figure.   ;D

Barry Broome

Quote from: Native_NM on August 23, 2011, 09:46:28 PM
;D

MountainDon

Next step along our design process. An actual drawing.  :D
Here's the floor / wall plan. Walls 2x6 framed. Windows are sliders.

At least I think this is it. But I'm reading IRC2009; all about brace walls to see if the north wall meets criteria for seismic zone 3. (Exterior of walls to be continuously sheathed in 7/16 OSB.) Stud spacing on the 16 ft walls probably at 24" OC. The end walls though with studs 16" OC MTL. As drawn it does pass the IECC 2006 energy code.

Thoughts/questions/etc welcome as always.

Native_NM

If the goal is a bunk house (just sleeping quarters), I seem to recall reading something once about the need for two exits.  A window might serve the purpose.  I'll Google if I get the chance.  It might have been for commercial use also - maybe Boy Scouts or something.  I'll see what I can find.
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

MountainDon

Thanks for the concern. My reading of the IRC (section R311) only shows that the door must be 32 x 78 minimum.

Then there's the need for emergency egress (Section R310.1.1) which states the need for a minimum 5.7 sq ft clear opening (with height and width minimums as well).

I'm not calling it a bunkhouse anymore. But there is also no plan for a toilet or real kitchen either. I should call it a shed or utility building used for storing beds and personal effects.  It does fall within the no building permit required by NM CID rules, sort of.... One story detached accessory buildings used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses, and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet.   Hmmm, maybe it's a playhouse.  ;)

Squirl

Why not just use non-tongue and groove sheathing?

MountainDon

The panel edges that do not lay over supporting joists will lock together with T&G. If square edge material is used those unsupported edges would have to have blocking installed between the joists and then the panel edges nailed to the blocking as per the required edge/field nailing schedule.

Or in lieu of T&G an additional layer of 1/2 inch underlayment could be installed with all edge joints staggered. I believe if 3/4 inch hardwood strip flooring is installed over the sub flooring square edge panels may also be used.  Not positive though. 

Rob_O

Quote from: MountainDon on August 24, 2011, 10:43:40 PM

I'm not calling it a bunkhouse anymore. But there is also no plan for a toilet or real kitchen either. I should call it a shed or utility building used for storing beds and personal effects.  It does fall within the no building permit required by NM CID rules, sort of.... One story detached accessory buildings used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses, and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet.   Hmmm, maybe it's a playhouse.  ;)

I tried to get a permit for my 11.9 * 24 "shed". Nice lady at the JE office told me if it didn't have a toilet or a garage door I didn't need a building permit [cool]. Still had to pay $25 for the electrical permit, probably the best bargain of this whole project
"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

MountainDon

Ooops. This may have just turned into an 11.9 x 12 foot.  ???  I have a start on it; found a door I can use at an attractive price.  8)  I have it in the garage. My Jeep may never get parked in there again.  ::)

NM_Shooter

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

Never mind. We have returned to the 11.9 x 16 plan.    d*

Mike 870

Hey Don,

How are you planning on specing your beams and posts for your foundation? 

phalynx

Another building?  I don't seem so nutty after all..   d*

I look forward to progress pictures.

MountainDon

This project is on a hold for now.   ???   :(   :-[   :-\ 

phalynx

Barry Broome

[embed=425,349]<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KLb-21CVeeA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> [/embed]

I think the older guy with the white beard is MTNDON...

"Wait a second"... it's not up to code!!!