Retirement Cabin 31 x 36

Started by Dwaine, January 26, 2015, 09:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwaine

In the planning stage to build a 31 x 36 one and half story cabin in northeast GA on a crawl space.   I plan to purchase land now and build in two years.
Total 1165 sq ft
Main Floor 896
Upper Floor 269
Cathedral ceiling in living dining room
Master downstairs
1br upstairs
10 x 10 kitchen quartz counters
11 windows double pane
2 entrance doors
1 french door
Dimensions 31 x 36
1 heat pump
HardiePlank or Certainteed siding with metal roof

Can it be built for $65,000 ($56 sq ft) if I sub the work?  (This doesn't include land, road work, septic or water)

JohnC

Hi Dwaine,
We are looking at doing something very similar to your cabin, only in Northern New Mexico. Buying the land this year and building n 2016. There is a builder here (South Texas) that builds small cabins (up to 2500 sq ft) and they are quoting about $31/sqft for the shell. This includes doors and windows, metal roof and they use Cedar siding on a pier and beam foundation. They only build in this area so that does not help you but maybe you can find someone in your area that does the same.
Regards,
John

rick91351

We just finished, or pretty well are finished up with a home.  We brought it in under $100 sq ft.   We are thrilled to get it finished there.  I subbed most all the trades.  This was done with them because of time and some of the stuff I just did not want to do. 

We gave it to a general contractor we know very well to look at.  He pretty much told us what we already knew $150 to $200 a sq ft. for him and his framing crew and his subs.  Depending on our extras!  Ie the ganinte and the tile work and the mill work. 

So we started calling everyone we knew and pretty well used and abused all the favors we could.  We have an old friend that own a lumber yard.  Most likely he was the one that saved us the most.

So where did we end up?  When it was finished or as is came back from the insurance underwriters.  Replacement value 'costed out' shows we ended up with a $300,000 house or about $136 a sq ft.  Myself with our exrtas we did ourselves ie title and wood work I would pleed for closer to $350,000 to $400,000.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12965.0

Have not update much as of late....

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

rick91351

The one thing I failed to mention per sq ft matters very little if you are building 1000 - 2000- or so on.  Pretty much the standard up here in the mountains when we are at this day in age you are looking at $130 to $150 a sq ft.  One reason that people end up with sticker shock when they start building or pricing out one of those micro mini houses.

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.