Need help selecting a lantern

Started by 8x8x8, January 29, 2009, 08:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

8x8x8

Hey all,

I have $30 worth of gift cards to Gander Mountain (outdoors type of store) that expire tomorrow.  I gotta use them up, so I figured I'd buy something I could use with the 8x8x8 cabin.  I thought a lantern would be a good idea.

I wanted to go with kerosene originally, but they haven't got any unfortunately.  The only kinds lanterns available are: battery, Coleman fuel, unleaded gas, or propane.  The battery ones are the cheapest, likewise the propane ones are the most expensive.

I don't know what kind of lantern to go with and need help.  Please do keep in mind I have a wood burning stove in my 8x8x8 cabin, in case the lantern ever leaked fumes or something like that, probably not very likely but still.

Anyway, I would appreciate some advise on what kind of lantern to get.

MountainDon

Propane is the most convenient. You can even get a hose to allow connection to a 20# cylinder, or a thing I believe is called a 'tree'. You mount that on a refillable cylinder, place the lantern on top. There are fittings on the tree pipe to connect other propane appliances, like stoves and grill.

Coleman fuel / unleaded gas use a less expensive liquid fuel. They work well, but do require pumping up the air pressure from time to time, more frequently when the fuel tank is near full. They make a little more noise in my estimation.

Whatever fuel you select, get a double mantle variety, IMO. More light. And yeah they burn more fuel, but you can turn them down. A single mantle isn't bright enough for me.

Battery powered is a poor third, IMO.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

davidj

Target had some 1/2 price coleman lanterns a week or two ago - something like $12 for a fluorescent and a dollar or two more for LED or gas.  If you buy D cells in bulk they're a dollar each, so a 4-cell lantern only costs $4 to get working and some of the e.g. LED ones run for 15 hours or so - not so different from gas.  At these prices, we've decided to double up on a battery and a gas lantern in each building, so there's battery when you're in a hurry or have the place airtight (our living shed is 8x8) and gas if you want brighter and noisier.  And there's no problem if one runs out or you need two lamps to light something from two angles.

Redoverfarm

If you could get the Coleman fuel double lantern you could also take it with you outdoors and use it more if you were into camping and the like.

MountainDon

I want to add that I do like the liquid fueled lanterns as their fuel takes up less space.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Abbynrml

I bought a solar light from Harbor Freight. It was $20.
I was doubtful it would work well.
But after several overnight camping trips I went and bought 2 more.
It does not put out a lot of light, but did light up the tent and was very handy for a late night trip to the john. The LED lights glow amazingly bright, but not really enough to read by. One runs all night, another runs most of the night. So I would buy 2 just to be sure. During the day, be sure to turn completely off and set in the sunshine. It will be fully charged for use that night.

diyfrank

Quote from: 8x8x8 on January 29, 2009, 08:21:36 PM
Hey all,

I have $30 worth of gift cards to Gander Mountain (outdoors type of store) that expire tomorrow.  I gotta use them up, so I figured I'd buy something I could use with the 8x8x8 cabin.  I thought a lantern would be a good idea.

I wanted to go with kerosene originally, but they haven't got any unfortunately.  The only kinds lanterns available are: battery, Coleman fuel, unleaded gas, or propane

If those are your choices, I would get the unleaded gas.  You can get fuel anywhere.
Home is where you make it

Mike 870

I have the basic coleman lantern that you'd find at wal mart or target, and I love it.  It throws a ton of light, and is pretty easy on fuel.  I use the hose from my weber mini to hook it up to the big propane tank.  I have never used it indoors, I don't think it's meant for indoor use.  It would be great to hang on the front porch though.

kenhill

I would get a propane Coleman lantern, mount it on a tree and a 25 pound propane tank.  When it is cold, the contribute additional heat too!