dug & Jenny's 20 by 30 1 and 1/2 story

Started by dug, December 06, 2009, 10:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dug

Thanks Eagle. My favorite thing about this floor is that the pine, combined with the contours left by the band saw give it a soft buttery feel that just begs to be touched. A perfect barefoot floor!

metolent

I agree - that floor is very cool looking!   [cool]

dug

I've been working at trying to finish my staircase which got off to a rough start when I discovered a flaw in my rise calculations, top and bottom step were off by about an inch and a half so I re-cut all the stringers (in place) so now they are even.

For the posts and rails I decided to try my hand at some mortise and tenon joinery, which was a lot of fun and went pretty well. I love sharp chisels and making wood shavings!

Here is my first mortise, it worked out fine except that it was not supposed to be centered on the post  d*! Goes to show that it doesn't matter how many times you measure before you cut if you are working with the wrong numbers  :(.

I had another post I could have used but it was fairly complicated to build and besides I didn't want to waste the wood so I decided to plug it and leave it for a forever reminder of what a screwup I can be

I made the mortises by first drilling-

and then chiseling out the rest-

Tenons were made using my miter saw, the angled joints complicated things a bit-

Working with existing posts that were warped and twisted complicated things further and I had to go to extreme measures to make things fit right, this is a test piece I made for where the handrail meets the top post. Not sure if owning a compound miter saw is a blessing or a curse.  ???

More parts- these are for the bottom rail section-

Handrail, notched to fit-

Putting it all together. I managed to get the joints to fit what I felt was snug, but not too tight but had to go back an loosen them up some in order to get the whole piece assembled.

It is satisfying to build something that feels solid even before any glue or nails are applied, and after gluing it feels like it is anchored to the earth itself- very solid. I was planning to pin the joints with dowels (still am) but discovered that a 1/2 inch dowel does not take a 1/2 inch drill bit. I'll buy a 7/16th  and see how that works out later. Here is the bottom section complete with handrail-

Goof plug in full view-

I made the rail for the loft the same way, sticking to my rebar theme for the balusters-

You can also see the ceiling treatment here, partially trimmed out-

I am going to work on the treads and wall string trim this weekend, treads will be one piece 2 by 12 rough sawn lumber. The final step will be to finish it off with a coat of clear stain followed with a couple of coats of oil.

That's all I've got for now- thanks for looking!

Redoverfarm

[cool]  Dug.  Now that you are a master of handrail I have got about 90 feet to make for the inside/out.  But mine will be tapered round tenons.   I wouldn't worry about the little glitch.  Lord knows I have made a few but you disguised it well that in 100 years you will never be able to tell.  ;)  Are you planning on staining or just poly?

MountainDon

Quote from: dug on March 02, 2012, 10:45:02 AM

Goof plug in full view-

And most people would have never figured what it was.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

dug

QuoteNow that you are a master of handrail I have got about 90 feet to make for the inside/out.

Thanks Redoverfarm but you are too generous in awarding me master status- young apprentice would be more like it but I will say that this has been my most fun and rewarding venture thus far working with wood. Be sure to post photos of your upcoming project!

QuoteAre you planning on staining or just poly?

I am going to use a wipe on natural stain to darken the wood slightly and bring out a bit more of it's rustic character and then use some of the oil (Bio shield) that I have left over from my flooring to finish it off.

astidham

very nice dug, I am interested in trying my hand at mortise and tenon joinery, it is very pleasing to the eye.
also, what is that on the ceiling? it looks great.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

dug

thanks astidham. the ceiling is covered with bamboo/ reed cane that you can buy in rolls at building supplies, usually intended for fencing and such.

MushCreek

Dug- I know how you feel about the slip-up. In toolmaking, we call that 'exactly wrong'. There's nothing worse than carefully machining something with .0001" of the WRONG dimension! Beautiful work on the railings; the patch is a good reminder, and gives you a story to tell.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

MountainDon

When making aluminum chassis for electronic equipment things like a hole in the wrong spot became ventilation. 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Bob S.

In the late 60's I worked for Boeing at Boeing field as a flight test mechanic on serial #3 737.
  One night I observed a couple of guys under the aircraft scratching ther heads and trying to figure out to do about a mistake they had made.
  Seams they had drilled a hole at the wrong place.
  I went by later to see that drain hole was stenciled next to the hole.

Alan Gage

That looks real nice, Dug. And I like the ceiling from what I can see in the pictures. How is it sold and how is it installed? Is it sold in rigid or flexible sections?

Alan

dug

QuoteThat looks real nice, Dug. And I like the ceiling from what I can see in the pictures. How is it sold and how is it installed? Is it sold in rigid or flexible sections?

Alan

It is flexible (rolled) and usually sold in 6 by 16 ft. sections, like this-

I installed it using 2 inch staples and then screwed down trim boards where the seams meet. While looking for an image I discovered that you can build a house out of the stuff...apparantly.  ???

oifmarine

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

eclipse

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your entire thread. I have gotten some really good ideas for the retirement house I hope to build in a few years. I really hope to incorporate the rebar in my railings.

I like the way the stain on your floor turned out. It reminds me of the floor in an old hardware store that I used to go into in the 60's as a young boy in Calico Rock Arkansas. Those are some great memories and that is meant as a compliment.

Looking forward to more of your posts.

CoastalAlabama

Beautiful homeplace, Dug!!  I've spent the last couple hours in awe reading through your wonderful thread .... Congrats on a job well done!

I'm inspired.... what beautiful uses you found for rebar and bamboo fencing!  Both look awesome in your home.

I was a little scared of the electric blue color as an exterior trim color (we're all about boring white and neutrals my way), but it looks awesome!!  I especially love the interior gold color.

I was curious.....will there be bedrooms in the home for the boys, or is that the purpose of the loft (for sleeping)?  I can't stand being in my bedroom during the daytime, and I can't watch TV before bed (makes me restless), so I am literally only in my bedroom for 7 hours in the dark with my eyes closed the entire time.  lol  Seems like such a waste of a big room.  I like the idea of sleeping in a loft that is open like yours.  We're building again in 4 or 5 years and will be downsizing.  I'm thinking a big living area with kitchen/living/office areas, one big bathroom with 2 toilet rooms instead of the separate master and hall baths, and much smaller spaces devoted to sleeping.

BADB0Y

This has become one of my favorite threads!
Please excuse my typos, I post from my cell phone 90% of the time!

dug

I've been working way too much lately (NOT on the house) and have been mostly offline. Looking forward to catching up on all the build threads when I get home tonight.   :)

astidham

dug, How is life treating you?
would love to hear an update, hope all is well for you.

Todd
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

dug

Well I'll admit it's been quite some hiatus since I've last updated here and was almost afraid my thread may have disappeared into oblivion, but lo and behold here it is still waiting patiently.  ::)  Anyway I can't say that a ton has been accomplished in the last however-many months but I do have something to show for my struggles other than just surviving, and also I've been having a great time getting seriously addicted to mountain biking again and recently went on a rafting trip through half of the Grand Canyon, which was unbelievable!

So to anyone interested out there thinking "I knew they shouldn't have moved in before they were finished!", you're probably right but even with the lack of kitchen it's pretty cozy in here now and we are looking forward to a nice Christmas!

I got the stairway pretty much complete, so 1 more thing checked off the list!

About a million years ago in this thread I was saying how we had decided to go with rough sawn treads so that's what we did and I like it quite a bit, it has a fair amount of traction for wood and has held up well so far. Some of the lumber I got was almost black on one side and I used those for the risers for contrast.

I also got our hearth for the wood stove built. We wanted to use old brick, and found some that was really old salvaged from a recent renovation on a historic museum nearby-

They were eroded and somewhat irregular, which gives them the desired rustic flavor but perhaps not the best choice for someone like myself who isn't exactly a natural mason and tends to panic over things that are permanent when dry. Here is the start, string lines aplenty!

And finished. Almost. Still have to top it off with a chunk of flagstone (still looking for the right piece) and finish it with some linseed oil. I was going to make it a couple courses higher but other than getting tired of laying brick I was also getting concerned about the weight, which I estimate to be at least 1,500 lbs. No pictures to prove it but I guarantee it is well supported underneath. All that weight centered in the room seems to have added a certain tautness to the floor and walls somehow.

And tiled, 3/4 plywood and cement board went down first-

And finally the wood stove moves to it's final resting place! Stove pipe offset gives it a Dr. Seuss look that Jenny likes a lot, I kind of like it too.

How it will look from entrance, the rest of the floor (wood) is going in next. Yea!

And finally, kick back time- shamefully undone kitchen in backround.

Even with undone floor insulation the house stays very cozy and the little Vermont Castings stove heats it easily, which I had been a little worried about. I got a few other things done outside but pics will have to wait till next time, which I hope won't be long, and now I'm going to check on a few threads I haven't seen in awhile.

Thanks for looking!

UK4X4

Love the wooden floor, the saw marks and the stain makes it beautifull.

So what happened to the other 2 1/2 pallets of bricks ?

or is it a work in progress ?

I always found laying the bricks was relatively easy- but levelling and finishing was more dificult

cleaning up- getting rid of excess all an art form- especially on multiday projects

each " bricky" in the UK has his own methods

adding washing up liquid to make the cement stickier- gloopier
horse hair brushes for clean up
Knowing when to clean up, wipe of brush off or chisel off !

I want a "brick" hearth in my cabin - but I'm still looking at solutions, need to check into local architectural recyclers and the natural rock falls above me on the mountain

Alan Gage

The stairs look great and good job on the hearth!

It's been about a year since I moved in and, like you, not much has happened since then. Part monetary, part laziness, part needing to take a break.

Alan

dug

QuoteSo what happened to the other 2 1/2 pallets of bricks ?

or is it a work in progress ?

I'm not laying any more bricks inside, but I'm sure I'll find a good use for them somewhere!