12x16 Cabin

Started by jstig, February 08, 2006, 10:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jstig

Dont know if this is the right place to post this but here goes.  I joined this site after the 200 sq ft cabin contest was over but I designed one anyway and want to share it.  I tried to use Punch (very frustrating) - will have to download 3D - or learn how to use Paint like Mark (is he related to Frank Lloyd Wright?)  So I have a combo of Punch and some handdrawn plans.  Hope you enjoy.
My intention for this design is for a weekend and vacation cabin so the kitchen and bath are very basic.  They are back to back and share the plumbing wall.  the refrig is under the counter - the stove is a cooktop propane  -  maybe RV appliances would work well here.  Sleeping is up the ladder to the 2 separate loft areas.  Maybe the ladder could fold out of the way to save space.

Jim

jstig

Wish I knew how to attach more than one pic at a time    :-/

jstig

and another

jstig

jstig

I couldn't get the roof to extend over the dining bumpout.

Sassy

Very clever ideas, I like it!  

glenn-k

If you want to do multiple pictures - in the message composing box -top row of buttons above the smileys -third button is a picture - image in a frame icon - save your file in photobucket then use the button above and put the address in between or just copy the "[IMG]" tag Photobucket provides.  -add as many images as you like to your post then.  There is more information in the Forum News section of the board.

Posting Pictures

jstig

Thanks Glen.  I will try that.  I am a little dense about posting pics  :-/

I never used photobucket - actually the pictures I attached are straight from my PC - should I not be doing that?   I will look into using photobucket.

BTW I just saw your post for the 2006 "hooters"  calendar - too funny.  Its nice that you all have a sense of humor ......

Jim

glenn-k

Photobucket will save all the pics you want then you don't have to attach them one at a time. It will resize also- hit edit on photobucket - also files and saves for you - so you can re-find it if necessary. Other than that attaching them as a file is ok - just harder and slower.

After you start a free account at photobucket it will look on your computer for the file- hit the browse button to do that - when you find it hit submit - Photobucket will save it - give you several tags - we use the IMG tag or you can use the above mentioned button then use the top tag -url -on photobucket and put it between the img brackets.

Sorry about that Hooters post, Jim.  I know this is a PG rated forum but I couldn't resist- they were just too cute. ;D

tjm73

Quote.........My intention for this design is for a weekend and vacation cabin so the kitchen and bath are very basic.  They are back to back and share the plumbing wall.  the refrig is under the counter - the stove is a cooktop propane  -  maybe RV appliances would work well here.  Sleeping is up the ladder to the 2 separate loft areas.  Maybe the ladder could fold out of the way to save space.

Cool little house/cabin.

I'm kicking a very similar kind of idea around myself.  Mine's a bit bigger though at 14x18.  Seems like your lofts are pretty small.  Would they be big enough to actually be used?  By my count they are about 6'x7'.  Seem pretty small.

jstig

Hi TJM,

The lofts are very small but they are intended only for sleeping - with some kind of padding or mattress right on the floor - just climb up and go to sleep - its really like having 2 beds in the cabin except they are elevated 8 feet!  Dont know if I would actually build this cabin - right now I am leaning more towards John's 14x24 - for a little bit more effort and money it seems a lot more liveable.

Am interested in seeing your plans for your 14x18.

Jim

tjm73

Interesting....the idea of just using the lofts like elivated beds ahad escaped me.....  Seems more practical now.

I'm still hammering out my ideas and stuff for the sleeping loft and how to get up to it.  I'll post the pics here if you don't mind.  In a day or so when I've decided which method I like best, maybe sooner.  I have so many different ideas for things.  It boggles my own mind.  :D

glenn-k

Are you full 2 story tjm- I was wondering about headroom in the upstairs john - if I am viewing it right.

tjm73

QuoteAre you full 2 story tjm- I was wondering about headroom in the upstairs john - if I am viewing it right.

No not full 2 story, but the upper 1/2 bath would have a small kickout for head room.  Wouldn't wanna have to climb down the ladder half asleep to go pee in the night.

I was planning to do a side view to show the roof line.

glenn-k

Sounds good -

In playing with the little house plans on my  little garage I noticed headroom was short, but I don't have kneewalls- just a nice attic/loft area.

tjm73

It probably wouldn't meet code anywhere that has codes but it's fun to design just the same.

tjm73

This kinda shows my kickout.  I guess it's more of a dormer.

jstig

Nice plan tjm - its amazing how much you fit in a small cabin - did you draw the elevation with Paint?
I too have too many ideas bouncing around in my head - I must have designed 100's of cabins and many variations of each one - it makes it hard to commit to one.   :o  
Maybe we should all be like Glen and just build and design as we go along - he seems to be pretty successful at that.  I was just looking at his pics of his carport/garage - great progress in a short time.

glenn-k

It has advantages and disadvantages --some things go fast then there is the time I spend daydreaming and scratching my head figuring out how to do things (the architect and engineers time used here- I use that as an excuse for not accomplishing much sometimes)  or what else would look cool- and doing it with available materials.  Rafters and loft joists going on today between other things - just gave the neighbors relatives from Alabama the tour - a constant open house. :)

It's nice to be working the Little House Plans into the project--saves me some of the head scratching because John's already done it. :)

keyholefarmhouse

jstig:

I really like your layout for such a small cabin.  200 sq.' makes it tough.  But this is pretty cushie camping.
Some dry storage could be put under the cabin.
On the lofts:  I think you'd get a lot better head room by extending them the full width of the cabin.  One in the back, (maybe a queen sized matress) and one in the front, (maybe a twin).  My truck camper has a queen going over the cab.  This is really comfy with lots of width.  The head clearence is around three feet.  Usable but a real pain.  Hard to make bed, getting in and out, rolling around, sitting up, etc..  The Ridge peak would be real nice.  Especily with a window.

Like the main floor a lot.  Would also be a good layout for the 14x24.

keyhole

Sassy(Guest)

Keyhole,  I know what you mean...  we have a 5th wheel horse trailer with RV in front, back converted into a shop (yeh, I know you horse lovers think that is sacriligious-but the only thing we could find that was heavy-duty enough for Glenn's stuff) There is a queen sized bed that's over the bed of the truck & it's a bear to change - crawling around, hitting my head on the ceiling... :-/