12 x 8 Shed in Upstate NY Leatherstocking region

Started by Squirl, July 07, 2009, 01:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squirl

I am sorry I did not respond to this sooner.  I have been away on business. I have not been back there in a few months.  It is hard to believe.  I have gotten caught up in way too much work.

This shed is the first stage towards a larger cabin in the future.  I hadn't built anything like this in a few years and wanted to familiarize myself with it from start to finish and get a feel for costing.  I have added insulation but I did not get to take pictures last time I was there.  The function of this will primarily be a locked storage shed for tools and what ever necessities will be needed to build a larger place probably next year.  I was afraid of the frost so I did not push getting a foundation in in October.  Now I am stuck until the spring. 

IIRC, the leather stocking region was named after the Leatherstocking Tales by James Fenimore Cooper.  The shed is actually only about 5 mi from another member, speedfunk.

Squirl

Well I finally have a few updates.  I did not get to get back there until July.  Almost a whole year.  Work was crazy this year. I left off with the shed with a tarp and tar paper on the walls. So when I got back to the shed the tar paper was coming off in small spots.  Hornets even made a small nest in one of the spots.  It took me a day to fix up the paper, and clean up around.  It was a wake up call on how long it has been since I did some real work.  I am still humping it at work so I figured I wanted to get it covered up as soon as possible.  I slapped up the cheapest fastest siding I could by at the local Lowes.  I used smart side. ($23 a sheet) It was cheaper than t1-11 and just as fast.  Also, (big selling point for me) it is thinner so it is easy to lift alone.  What I did was nail framing nails at a diagonal.  Then I bent them to level with the wall.  The made a little shelf of nails to set the siding on while I lined it up and nailed it in place.  I was able to paint the edges before I left so that they were protected.  I used barn paint.  Cheapest at the store $58 for 5 gallons.  All I had was my phone so I only have one picture from that trip.

I had the nails already so that didn't cost anything.
$275.64 ($23 x 12) siding
$58 paint
$2 Paint Cup
$4 Paint Brush

MountainDon

A year!  I bet you were very happy getting back to it. Even if you had to work.   :D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Squirl

I was.  I went back up just a week ago. I was lucky the tarp held up.  So I figured I wasn't going to leave it another year without a roof.
So I finally took the tarp off.

I papered the roof.  I had to get a new roll of tar paper.  $22

I went with galvanized metal.  I figured I wanted some experience working with it before the house.  

So the sheets are 38.5" wide.  I lined up the first to over hang the edge by 1.5".  When I got to the other end the roofing ended at just the edge.  So I figured when I would cut another rib in half for each end.  I get it to over hang and fold the roof lip over the siding and trim and nail it in place.  The pitch was so steep, I was able to lay the home built ladder right over the edge and screw it in place.  I screwed them in a U shaped pattern.  I screwed 3 down each side and all along the bottom edge.    I screwed the ridge beam into the places where the sheets over lapped.  I made sure it was screwed in far enough that the washer was compressed and not over tight so as to not strip the screw out.  I had to buy two ridge pieces because they are about 10 ft 6 inches long for a 12 ft shed.  I plan on putting up the last two siding pieces and trim the next time I am there.  Well here are more pictures.

glenn kangiser

Thanks for the new pix, Squirl.  Looks great and the berries - what a nice find. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Squirl

As promised here are the costs for this stage.

9 sheets of galvanized 3x8 metal roofing was $16.72 each for a total of $150.48.
I had to get 2 ridge pieces at $23 each for a total of $46.
I also got the special roofing screws with washers for $18.00 a bag.  I still had a third to half of the bag left over at the end. 

A few more notes on the roof.  My feeling was less was more when it came to the screws.  I tried to place them more strategically for the maximum amount of hold, and the less holes I poked in the roof, the better.  I put plenty in the bottom edge over the eave.  My thought pattern was that this was where there would be the most amount of lift from the wind and if any of the holes leaked it would not cause a lot of damage.  The guides that I read said to place them every 2-5 ft, so I placed them every 3 ft.  I did all of them by hand.  I punched a pilot hole with a roofing nail.  Then I screwed in the screw with a screw driver.  The screws are 1/4 inch bolt patterns and I was able to use a simple bit screw driver minus the bit.  I had a helper hold the roofing in place on a second ladder.  If I was totally alone, I might have been better with shingles, but metal roofing was so much faster.  I got it all done in about a day.  I compared the cost with shingles at $25 a pack for 33 sq. ft.  It actually came out cheaper too.

I guess I should include the cost of the ladder too.  2 2x4x16 pieces was $10.90 and 3 2x4x8 cost $6.33.  So the ladder cost around $17.  I will expand on my mistake so that others may not repeat it.  I cut the 2x4's to 18" lengths and nailed them with three nails each side.  I spaced the rungs 12" apart.  I should have gone with 1x3 boards for rungs and notched the 2x4x16's to fit.  Always rest wood on wood, not just by nails.  The ladder did not fall apart, but it could be a lot sturdier.  On the other hand, it was pretty fast to put together.