Habitat for humanity restores

Started by clovergecko1, May 15, 2006, 07:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clovergecko1

Has anyone heard of or bought from habitat for humanity restores? Used and donated building material for very low prices?  I found out about the stores from a HFH website, I didnt see any prices listed but people or businesses that donate get a tax deduction so the prices must be good. They have a search engine for finding all stores in all states. If anyone knows more about the program then I do feel free to email me or post a reply, Thank you.

clovergecko1

By the way the phone # for one in Mo is (417) 829-4001 Maybe in springfield I dont remember.  But I thought one of the other MO homesteaders might like to have the #  Let me know if you learn anything more. Im in Louisiana right now so I cant just swing by and check it out.

Billy Bob

Clover, I havn't been to one yet, but you can be sure I will be checking them out.  There is a Goodwill store nearby where some windows and doors have been showing up pretty regularly, and the prices have been very attractive.  Too bad I don't have room in the Winnebago for a few!

You might see if there's an "Architectural salvage" place in your area.  The pricing is not always super low, but sometimes they have the neatest stuff!  Might be worth a few bucks for a really nice mantel, or a gargoyle to frighten off  salesmen. [smiley=shocked.gif]
Bill

bartholomew

I've been to our local ReStore once, planning to go again soon. They had lots of windows, mostly pulled out for replacement but also some new ones with slight damage, a large selection of doors, a lot of bundles of leftover laminate flooring real cheap, miscellaneous plumbing fixtures and fittings, some cabinets, some used appliances, tons of small items, and for some reason a whole bunch of precast concrete pieces for fireplace surrounds (enough for at least 20 fireplaces).

You're bound to find at least a few things you can use at very good prices.

clovergecko1

Now thats what Im talking about bartholomew! I dont think enough people here know about these restores they sound like a great way to save a bundle of money building a cabin.

trish2(Guest)

I have been to the restore in our area many times.  Prices on items range dramatically; some are very good, others not.  You have to know what the going price is for whatever you are looking for.  My husband found a solar powered attic fan at the restore that he bought.   He hadn't really been pricing this product when we ran acoss it at the restore.  Later we saw it at  the home improvement stores for about the same as he paid for it at the restore.

The restore is a great place to go if you are trying to match older items.  We have a 30 year old home used as a rental.  Tenants damaged an odd sized bathroom door.  We were able to find a replacement for $10 at the restore.  

Items always in great supply:  Bathroom sinks, toilet pieces and parts, light fixtures, windows and odd kitchen cabinets.  As I said, prices vary widely on these items, especially the windows.

DemianJ

I can't recommend the Habitat stores enough.  I've frequented the one in Charlottesville for just about every item I can:  90% of my windows and doors, half of my flooring, 3/4 of my plumbing fixtures, 1/2 of my appliances.  I was able to get high quality windows and doors for much less than what I'd pay for new budget models at Lowes.  Some of the stuff is brand new, so it may only be 20% cheaper than Lowes, but most is used to some degree, and the slightly used items (e.g. a window that was installed and then removed immediately b/c the owner didn't like it or custom orders that didn't fit) are often 1/2 of their price new.  Many of the stores have sales or will consider package discounts if you buy a lot at once, so it's hard to not save money.  Plus,  in the end, you're giving money to a great charity as compared with to the big box store stockholders (and recycling, as well).

stricsm

I recently built a sunroom from a covered porch at our weekend river cabin and most of the glass was from sliding glass doors donated by coworkers.  I bought several sliding glass door panels from the Habitat Restore.  Especially the odd shaped sizes I needed to complete a wall.  I paid either $10 or $20 a panel dependent upon thickness.  

Our Habitat Restore also sells donated furniture.  I picked up a nice walnut ladies desk for my daughter for $40.

Mark