In expensive building methods

Started by clovergecko1, May 11, 2006, 09:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clovergecko1

Ok I'm not wealthy. I have a couple very rural acres and I want to build a cabin. I'm looking for all ideas of the most inexpensive methods out there for the beginer builder. This is the million dollar question right? What can be done w/ 3 0r 4 grand?

Amanda_931

Walls can be somewhere between free and inexpensive.

Foundations can be quite inexpensive--although it might take a load or more of rock--a couple of years ago ours ran around $300 for a big dump truck's worth.

Windows can be scrounged if you're good at that.  putting them in might take new wood.  Trees from your site might end up being a source of lumber (take a course in how to use a chain saw)

Roofs?  especially roof framing in a snow area?  Uh, maybe not so good.

Electricity, plumbing, insulation, septic tank, well and pump, road, These might cost a real money.  Although a doctor who worked with my father decided he hated driving through the neighbor's yard to get to his house, and built a road up a steep hill--five or eight switchbacks, a couple of places where people could get by each other.  This was the sandhills of North Carolina (most of that was likely clay, not much rock there) and I believe he did it mostly by hand and by himself--he was recovering from a serious illness at the time, and this was his self-prescribed therapy.

Minimal PV system--all 12 v to start, rainwater harvesting--or a ram pump out of a spring, composting (sawdust) toilet, routing greywater to the garden (don't want to if you've just had 6" of rain, though.)

If you can do that without running afoul of the zoning/codes/permitting people.

Refrigeration might be expensive, unless you can get one that runs on propane out of a travel trailer or RV.  It would be nice to get the whole kitchen out of that, in fact. including the water pump and maybe even the hot water heater.

Unfortunately, a lot of the really inexpensive ways of working go a whole lot faster if you can count on a bunch of friends to help you build.  And/or a lot of skills.  Ferrocement water tanks are apparently pretty wonderful, but you can't do a little bit now and a little bit next week, according to Art Ludwig, it'll work a lot better if it goes up in a long day or two.

John's little cottage, the one with the pictures of it's being built--price was a good long while ago, and they had a lot of stuff on hand, is about as inexpensive a building as you can do.  I think even I could handle the roof on that, and I am not good on heights, especially steep heights.

Woman in the next county had a really neat setup.  Biggish never failed stream through her property,  People she (and her ex-husband) had bought from, had put in a micro-hydro electricity system--nice when it worked, which wasn't all the time, and a ram pump (need quite a lot of water coming down a not-all-that-steep hill but no power to send water to the house or better yet, to a tank above the house.  

Inexpensive--easily learned skills--goes up fairly quickly--stick built, with a roof pitch of 3 or 4 in 12 (you can walk on it easily), post and pier foundation.  That might be the least awful to deal with, even if everything does have to be bought.

Things like cob, vertical log cabins, underground, straw bale, cordwood masonry, probably take longer, a lot--maybe a whole lot--more time.

Bufordt

My Dad and I have less than 2500.00 in this cabin we are building so far.   Windows are used.  Plywood floor was used from old  forms to make cement walls.   Post for porch were old pressure treated used  from an old monkey cage.  Cement blocks were used before we used them here.  

Working on the inside later this month and hope to have updated pic's then for it.  

Bufordt

Chuckca

Take a look at this site:  www.omick.net

tay_tower

I helped build a cordwood hunting camp last summer. It took a long time to build but it was cheap. You probably have usable wood on your land and the mortar mix doesn't cost that much. Labour costs however... yipes! Took 5 of us all summer (weekends) to build. Its about 20x20 ish with 10' sidewalls.

glenn-k

You have probably already seen this but I have less than $200 in this Two Story RV garage built off of a set of Johns Little House Plans that I modified for the use of free materials with post and beam.  If building a permit required building this would require engineering, stamped lumber, new materials and cost would go from under $200 to probably around $30,000.00 or more.  I didn't add any cost for the full loft and cupola.  This does not include any cost for tools and equipment which I already own, however it does include cost of fuel for them.  Little House Plans are under $50

bil2054

It's amazing the amount of material you can scrounge if you have the time.  A pickup truck and the right genes help, too, (I am of mostly Scottish descent  [smiley=lolk.gif])
Any window replacement contractors in your area?  I have passed two or three houses the last couple of months with piles of sashes by the road awaiting pick-up.
I am currently disassembling a 40'x80' greenhouse which the owner just wants gone... part of the package includes about 700 concrete blocks, never mortared.
A new tractor supply store opened in the area, and you would not believe the quality of the yellow pine 1"x6" 's the lawn tractors were crated in, (well O.K., some of it wasn't so good, but about 1/2 was as good as you get at the BB home centers, even accounting for the nail holes.)  Also got a couple dozen 8"x8"x12" styrofoam blocks, which I'm determined to find another use for.
Strike a deal with a contractor to haul off some of the "scrap" at a new home construction site.
The possibilities are endless!
Good luck!

Dberry

I really like the "patina" of that roof.  I wonder if there's a way to get new galvanized panels to look like they are old.  ???

Amanda_931

glenn kangiser

Seems the Steens mentioned something about making panels look aged.  The ones I have came from various old buildings - rescued from the dump steel pile.  I put the rustiest side out.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

FrankInWI

lucky day!  could have been even luckier.  Front of business section in morning paper had picture of Home Improvement Council's charity sale of extra building material from local builders and remodelers.  It started yesterday and I heard they selection and prices were great.  I got there today, and was very glad to find windows for my Day Room - Shed.  I got at least $1,200 in windows for about $120.  Got a BIG casement for $50, sliders for $15, over/unders for $10 ea, etc. Well, now I should be able to build that room for my credit line at home depot.  
This was their first charity sale.   They were really pleased with results, and will do it again....maybe as soon as in 6 months.  
Go plant the seed with the local remodler association in your area....maybe they will do the same for charity.  
god helps those who help them selves

clovergecko1

Do you think it would be wrong to as far as to suggest a local charity? (ulterior motive vs. doing the right thing for the right reason?)

PEG688

This is America land of the free home of the brave , sure people do it all the time  ::)
Sort of white collar stealing  ;D
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Billy Bob

Clovergecko,I think there is nothing wrong with suggesting something just because it might also,  sort of coincidentaly you understand [smiley=wink.gif], benefit you as well.  If the idea benefits a charity, you would deserve an "attaboy" in addition to the sale benefits.
Good go, Frank!

Good luck, and be sure to let us know where and when the sale is! [smiley=wink.gif]
Bill