Change of plans(again) but there's no turning back

Started by melwynnd, April 22, 2006, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

melwynnd

Hi everyone :)

I hope you're all having a great spring.  It's been crazy around here.

Right now I've got three orphan calves, one orphan lamb(soon to be more) and a milk cow due any time.  I also got honeybees.  I built my own topbar hives.

But the really exciting news is that we are starting on a small house!  We didn't go with John's Victoria's cottage since my husband really liked these plans better.  We are excavating for the foundation today and it should be done by the end of the week.  In the interest of saving time and our marriage, I think we are going to hire someone to at least frame the house if not close it in. :D

Here's the front of the house

Here's the first floor.  The only change we are making is to move the front door to the sunporch and turn the entranceway into a pantry.

Here's the second floor.  We've also decided not to put in the fireplace.

Wish us luck!

Sherry
Sherry

Good things come in small packages!!

Amanda_931

Pretty house.

Looks, from the artwork, like it comes from Drummond Designs.

I expect if you needed to, you could put a woodstove in front of the wall with the 1st floor closet.  Makes better sense than on an outside wall anyway.

PEG688

[size=12]  Good luck  :)  Especially with the bee's  I assume honey bees , my neighbor had bees for years , but he got sick of battling the bee mites that kill the queens so he gave his hives away :( a few years ago.   The house is easy compared to the bee mite thing.

Nice plan , I like the few changes , I'd think about a gas insert or smaller alternate heat source around here but seeing I don't know where your building , you may not need heat :)

PEG  

[/size]
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

Nice house, Sherry.  Still Wyoming if I recall correctly so I'm sure heat is a consideration.  That is a much nicer design than a lot of houses I've seen.  Please keep us posted.  Good luck with the animals.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

melwynnd

Oh, for heat we're putting radiant tubing in the floor and having an open direct heating system with the water heater.  It will be under the stairs.  I think we'll probably put in a wood stove where the fireplace would have been as we have lots of days where just a little heat at night is nice, but you don't really need to heat all the time.  Plus I love a fire!! :)

Sherry
Sherry

Mark_Chenail

Thats a nice little house, I particularly like the big arbor and the little sheltered arbor.  And it wont be hard to add a downstairs bedroom left of the front hall and expand the bath when you get old and feeble. :)
mark chenail

John Raabe

Nice efficient design that should be straightforward to build. Are you going to have the W/D in the revised entry area?

That chop out of the roof for the stair dormer seems contrived. Could a skylight or simple eyebrow dormer work as well? (Check for 6'-8" min headroom.)
None of us are as smart as all of us.

melwynnd

We are putting a stacking W/D in the closet across from the half bath.  There's a linen closet right above that and I'd like a laundry chute in it.

The dormer is there to allow more headroom for the stairs, I think.  I kind of like it myself, although I doubt we put a round window in it.  It should make the stairway nice and bright.

We are going to glass in the screened porch and put heat in it and use is as part of the house.  We probably won't put in the window boxes or the back arbor which, I think, is at a strange angle.  I know they matched it to the chiminy, but we aren't putting that in.

If I could have my way and didn't have to consider others, I'd stucco the whole thing and put a thatch roof on it.  But I like it the way it is pictured to.

Sherry

Here's my husband excavating for the foundation.  He loves that backhoe ;D.
Sherry