Youngins' Playhouse

Started by youngins, March 15, 2007, 10:52:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngins

New Readers: This is a very well documented small scale project. Many good photos. Be patient... some of the photos will take awhile.

John Raabe -- owner's report follows.

=================================================================

We think we have hammered out  ::) the design for the Youngins' Playhouse. Here are the details so far:

[size=12]General[/size]
8' W x 12' L structure to be used as a children's playhouse.

[size=12]Zoning/Code[/size]
We have already verified this structure will not require a building permit since it is less then 120 sq ft.  The City does require adherence to a 3' side / 10' rear setback for any structure which potentially could be used for storage. Homeowners association rubber stamped their ok as well.

[size=12]Site Plan[/size]

Figure 1. Aerial photo of lot

Figure 2. Property Survey

Figure 3. Survey with playhouse location, setbacks and water runoff flow

The building site is located behind the main residential structure, out of sight from the front of the street. Water run-off will not be impeded with pier/beam foundation.

[size=12]Elevation[/size]

Figure 4. Front elevation of playhouse

Figure 5. Back elevation of playhouse

[size=12]Foundation[/size]
The playhouse will be cantilevered over two 4"x6" Douglas Fir beams, each beam supported by 3 piers via Simpson PBS bracket. Each pier will be 8" in diameter and 16" in length. At the bottom will two 8" #3 rebar pieces forming an X shape lying horizontally on top of a concrete brick.  This will be tied to a 1' piece of #3 rebar which will run vertically through the center of the pier.

[size=12]Framing[/size]
2x4 studs @ 16" o/c
Sheathed with ¾" plywood or fiberboard (TBD)
Corners will be done with three whole 2x4s with blocking between two of them.

Figure 6. three stud corner example

[size=12]Roof[/size]
We are going to attempt a hip roof  :o. Standard asphalt roof tiles matching main house will be used as the finial roof finish

[size=12]Siding[/size]
We plan to use red cedar shingle panels for the final siding:

Figure 7. Type and color of siding

As usual, comments/critiques are always welcomed....

optionguru

Where's the grass?  Is this a satellite photo taken before the landscaping went in?

youngins

Dormant.

Pa_Kettle

Wow, nice planning.  We still don't know what siding we will use, and our walls are built. :o

I think doing a small structure first is a super smart idea (for noobies like us).  Trying to learn how to assemble rafters when your 10' off the ground and still working over your head is tough.  I've come to realization that I will become competent with a building task right about the time I'm done with that building phase.

Where are you going to get your windows?  We found a "salvage" place close to our place.  Also, most large cities have Habitat for Humanity "ReStores".

http://www.habitat.org/env/restores.aspx

Good luck!

PK

youngins

Foundation-site prep

Last weekend we marked the spots for the pier holes

My neighbor helped me dig the pier holes this afternoon

Contemplating hiring the ants to finish moving the loose dirt

glenn-k

Looks like you cleaned it up with a shop vac, Chris.  Are you trying to work to PEG's standards?  ;D

peg_688

Maybe he convinced the ants  :o ;D

youngins

Foundation-site prep (cont.)

Today we worked on widening holes to put a 12"x4" footer in.

Cosette as "Ring Master"

Cosette and Ceili have to make sure Dad was doing it right:

One of the top 10 benefits of having kids - indentured servants:

Wendy does her part tamping...

5:00 pm - calling it a day.

glenn-k

Put em to work -- they will learn from the time they are old enough to get out there.  Good plan. :)

MountainDon

Weather's looking fine, too!

jraabe

What a crew! :D
Makes concrete work look like fun.

youngins

youngins

Foundation-Footers

We made the footers today.

We cut a 13" x 13" piece of 1/4" thick cardboard and put at 15" x 15" VB on top.  We stuck a 24" piece of rebar through the middle so only 20" stuck out of the top.  We cut a 4" section of 12" dia. builders tube and stuck reinforcing rebar in it.  Centered that on the cardboard/VB and we had our footer casing.

Mixing the first batch of concrete:

One down (First try was a little dry):

Children's toys sometimes make good tools:

Wendy thought I was doing it wrong so she had to take over:

Done for the day:

glenn-k

What's the plan now, setting the piers on sand in the pier holes, or something similar?  

youngins

Yes. We were originally thinking about 8" gravel under each footer - but I suppose sand is also possible.

The total height of the pier w/footer will be 12 inches. Due to the slope in the backyard, the two piers nearest the house will only stick out above the ground about 4" where the two piers farthest away from the house will have to be roughly 7" above the ground.

glenn-k

OK - I know a couple inches of sand is used under slabs, but gravel would probably be better under the piers.  Sand like tamped gravel will compact 100 percent with a bit of water, but the sand could move easier with excessive amounts of water - a drying crack in the ground or a gopher hole etc., where the gravel would likely stay in place.

Thanks for the update - I was just wondering how you were doing it. :)

youngins

NP-

Honestly, we are flying by the seat of our pants - All questions / comments / critiques are welcome.

youngins

Foundation-Footers (cont.)

After footers have dried for 24 hours:

glenn-k

Keeping them wet for a few days or more will make them stronger, although not real critical in this application.  They could be wet down then covered with plastic to stay wet or a sealer applied.

Curing info for the big project. :)

http://www.kuhlman-corp.com/curing.html

youngins

Foundation-Piers

Attached 16" of 8" dia. builders tube to top of footers.  Inserted a piece of #4 rebar near the top which serves two purposes:
1. Reinforces concrete at the top near Simpson PB44 connector
2. Provide handles so we can move the pier around

Filled each tube with 80 lbs of Quickrete.

Introducing....The Youngin's "Uber Pier":

youngins

Foundation-Piers (cont.)

24 hours of drying and all appears good:

peg_688

How are you planning on setting those in the hole  :o :o???  Bobcat , backhoe  :-/ :-/ They will be heavy , watch your back and hands when they drop into the hole .

Good Luck and be carefull!

youngins

Foundation-Beams

We started working on the beams this afternoon.

First thing we did was to mark the location on the beams where the joists would cross:

Next, we placed the spacers to be where the piers connect to the beam:

Instead of toenailing the joists to the beams, we decided to go with Simpson connectors:

youngins

Foundation-Beams (cont.)

Cosette helps mom by holding the nails:

Joining the beams together:

I guess its time to do something with them holes in the ground: