14 x 24 Olympic Peninsula

Started by considerations, May 06, 2008, 07:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

considerations

I just keep pulling the pony tail tighter....helps a little  d*

The good news is we are around to complain about it.  The other alternative is to not be.

I prefer the sticking around and complaining option. 

I try that with my 79 year old mom, though, and she laughs at me.  "just wait" she says.

Kinda puts things into perspective.

glenn kangiser

Well - I don't have a pony tail so am letting my beard grow longer and heavier.  I guess there's no sense in getting long faced about it.  It's inevitable. [crz]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

considerations

Dad always said he didn't go bald, his hair just migrated south.  He had an awesome beard.

glenn kangiser

That's not bald... It's a solar powered se_ machine d*

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

considerations

Progress is slow during the week, but the headers are going into place.  My neighbor borrowed his compressor back, so back to the hammer. Didn't take long to get out of practice with it.  Nailed my thumb.  Yagh.  I hit it so hard it is bruised on both sides, the nail is purple....ick.  I was doing so well, driving 3-1/4" nails and none of them bent.  Really got into it. 

Oh well,  just like horses I guess.  If you don't fall off once in awhile, you're not riding enough. 

8)

glenn kangiser

Oh considerations - purple nails are my specialty.  It will be painful and to get relief you need to drill a hole in it.;  I use a pin drill from a welding supply.   Spin it until it drills a hole in the nail.  the blood will squirt out and relieve the pressure --- owwww ---- ahhhh.

I'm afraid the beer is going to put me to sleep -g'nite.

Redoverfarm

If it is really putting pressure on the finger you can also take a paperclip and heat it up until it's red.  Then it will instantly burn through the nail and let the pressure off. 

considerations

Thanks gentlemen...I'm probably the only one weeny enough to even mention that I did this.  I showed it to a friend, and he laughed, said "that's not bad, what's bad is when you hit it so hard that the skin splits like a sausage".....eeeeowwh.....so I guess I'm still not fully initiated yet. 

Glenn you are amazing.  I'm whining about my thumb, and you take the time from holding a fire away from your house to offer advice. 

Which detracts nothing from you, Redoverfarm...and your coaching..thank you as well.

I love this forum!

Woodswalker

That's an average thumb wound.  I once tried changing a broken blade in a saber saw without umplugging it.  When the trigger got bumped, it whacked the broken blade through the nail about 3-4 times and pounded the flesh as well.  It hurt so bad I couldn't even yell - just sat down and turned white as a ghost.  The nail eventually fell off, but grew back again just fine.  Needless to say, I unplug tools now all the time before even thinking of doing anything with them.

Nice job on your place, you're doing good.  Have been following your progress.  Folks on this site have been giving you some fine advice.  Keep on build'n.

Steve

glenn kangiser

No problem, Considerations.  All in a days work. ::)

...and I did whine about falling off the roof. d*  Found a line on my chest where I hit the 2x4 top rail of the deer fence when I found I couldn't walk on water, (or tin as the case may be).  I gotta admit --- I'm even a good faller. :)

John_C

New maxim        That Glenn he's a real good faller.     (too bad I can't type with a slurred accent) ;D

Redoverfarm

Oh Shucks. I have been telling everybody that he could walk on water.  But I guess he can fly some. ;D  I tell you it was that Instant Coffee.

considerations

It is raining here, hard.  I stuck the ladder in the middle of the floor, and put a huge tarp over it and all of the floor except because the stud walls are up, I cannot cover the bottom plates and the floor under it.  Plus there is a row of OSB along the bottom of each long wall. 

I know how to drain the tarp without getting the floor (except the edges) wet, because it started drizzling a few days ago.  The floor is 2x6 T&G.

Am I in trouble, or is some rain ok? 

Or, how much trouble am I in?

Lots of work in what is up so far.

Redoverfarm

Not really healthy for it but not a total disaster.  It is nailed in place which will help hold it shape somewhat.  I would try to sweep the majority of the water off when it stops raining.  Then Mother nature (sun) will do the rest.  It may raise some or seperate at the joints but may go back since it's attached.

CF you need to hustle and get a roof on it.  If it were anything other than T&G I wouldn't worry as much but that is going to be your finished floor probably.

Oh I forgot you are in Wash State.  How far are you from getting the rafters up and sheeting? 

PEG688

I'd  say,  no problem,  the T&G will take it , it may check some , but it's going to do that anyway , some what.

Just sweep it out , make sure your bottom plates are nailed down well to the line you should have snapped and set the walls to , then cut out any door openings bottom plates and sweep the water out those holes in the plates. The door openings.

Your going to have to sand the decks anyway once your done with your drywall and painting.

There's other tips like covering the floors with building paper AFTER you are in the dry to help some with the floors , but for now just let it rain it will dry out tomorrow , well maybe the next day  ;)

At your current pace you should have the roof on and  ready shingled  / roof before the real rains start  in late Oct. 

Edited to add :

BTW don't hog all the rain , my gardens a bit dry , a nice shower would help out / save city water , so send some our way eh! :)   
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

considerations

"How far are you from getting the rafters up and sheeting?"

2-3 weeks.  I was setting headers and top plates, then
ceiling joists
t&g Loft
rafters
sheets
metal

Yep 2-3 weeks....I set my dry in date as Oct 1, but my helpful neighbors say Sept 15 to beat the rain.

Compost happens.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Redoverfarm on July 29, 2008, 06:10:30 PM
Oh Shucks. I have been telling everybody that he could walk on water.  But I guess he can fly some. ;D  I tell you it was that Instant Coffee.

That's it, John.  You're a genius.  I wasn't falling -- Homey don't do dat.  I was flying. d*

considerations

The glide path is a little steep with no wings.  Doesn't matter how fast you flapped your arms.

glenn kangiser

All I could think was "Boy - this must really look stupid."

considerations

Got headers and cap rails on today.  Too tired to take a pic.  Tomorrow is ceiling joists.

I had to steal a 2 x 6 from the roof lumber pile.  Hope it wasn't a ledger board.  Yagh.

d*

glenn kangiser

considerations

Redoverfarm

Looking good considerations.  Don't forget to put your blocks over the window headers to distribute the weight.   

considerations

I did cripples, in the places where the floor will end up going all the way to the wall.  But there are some open spaces in the loft floor, and I have to cut back and support those ceiling joists where they aren't going to reach all of the way.  So I didn't want to put any cripples up in those places just yet. 

I need to think about that some.  If you go back to page one or two of this thread, you'll see the tentative flexible floor plan that shows them.    I have figured out how to do this in the stair well on the other side.  I need to think about the part over the kitchen.  I think I know what to do, but I will get the tape out tommorrow and do some measuring and thinking and balance it with the reality of what is there so far.

Thank you, however, for mentioning it.  It's easy to miss things.  At the end of a day, I'm tired, and just go inside and shower.  Then when its time to feed the horses, I clean up the site, and put away all the tools.  In the morning, when I'm bright and rested, I work on the puzzles.

ScottA

Good progress. You might want to think about some braces now that you are going up to hold the walls plumb. Also did you notice the date is wrong on your camera?  d*