BLOK Ranch cabin

Started by NM_Shooter, June 30, 2008, 11:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

secordpd

What a beautiful daughter & view! Thats cool you are teaching her to use power tools.. Some of my best memories is 'working with my dad', even if it was just handing him the tools :)   

Can I ask you what size lumber did you use for your beams? Is that 2 boards and plywood?

You should build a raft for that pond, to float around on after a hard days work..... ;)
"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford       Just call me grasshopper Master Po.

NM_Shooter

Thanks.. she is a gem.  Her older sister is comfortable with power tools too.  They are safe operators.

The beams are 3 pcs of 2X10 with OSB spacers, all glued together with polyurethane glue, spiked with 60 d nails, and a whole lot of 16d nails too.  Joints were placed on top of piers. 

My kids are way ahead of you.  They want a raft, and they want a treehouse.  I told them to build whatever they want.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

secordpd

I'm jealous, I want a tree house!!! [cool] 

Did you use some material between the pt wood and the brackets, I can't quite make out what it looks like.  I thought the Simpson brackets were made to use with pt wood, the zmax ones anyways? Am I wrong for thinking that way, or did  you do that as an extra protection?

Hope I'm not pestering you, just getting ready to do my posts and beams tomorrow and don't want to say 'shoulda woulda coulda'

Thanx Helen
"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford       Just call me grasshopper Master Po.

NM_Shooter

Between the beams and the clips I put in some thick rubber lining... the kind that is used to build shower pans.  You can buy it at Lowe's or HD.

The simpson clips that I bought and installed were not the ZMAX rated plating.  It was the lower plating level.  I didn't realize that there were different plating levels, and these were the only ones that Home Depot had in stock.  I thought that this would be cheap insurance.  On two of the beam connections the fit was tighter than I liked, but it is what it is!

NM_Shooter

On my last visit up, I mentioned I took a guy up to look at roadwork and culverts and etc.  Since he is going to have equipment on site, I am also hiring him to do some work for me. 

1)  Dig my outhouse pit.  3' x 3'  by at least 3' deep.  He said he could go a lot deeper than that  :)

2)  He is going to put in a grey water leach field for me.  I will have an indoor shower and sink, and I didn't want to run the water on the ground since we have so many streams right around the cabin site.  He told me to buy 4 packages of the EZ-Flow plus some 4" feeder PVC.  4 packs seems like a lot of drainage for short showers and a sink!

He told me that he'd do the above for $200 if I supplied the materials.  Seems like a complete steal.  Wish he was around last year to dig my piers.

MountainDon

Quote from: NM_Shooter on July 22, 2009, 09:17:24 AM

1)  Dig my outhouse pit.  3' x 3'  by at least 3' deep.  He said he could go a lot deeper than that  :)

Have him go 5 feet deep. Your crap spends a lot of the year frozen and preserved up there.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

No work today.  Dropped off 2000lbs of 4X8 adn 4X9 OSB, 4 packs of EZ-Flow and three 20' long 4" PVC sticks.  Managed to forget to pull the couplings out of my car  d*  Luckily there is someone going up next weekend who can take them up for me.

Saw a nice small herd of elk that we spooked when we took a ride to the west side of the ranch, and found a bunch of wild strawberries too.  Caught more fish, including two 14" brook trout. 

Luckily the tarp was still tight and in place.  Should be good to go for another couple of weeks.  I did have my first visitor though.  I had a pack rat running around under the tarp.  He had not managed to gnaw any holes yet.

In addition to the ton of OSB, I also brought up six pounds of Mossberg.  RIP little rat.

NM_Shooter

Spent the evening tonight laying out plates.  Pshew.  First time in my life I remembered to take into account the OSB overlap thickness at the corners.  Hope all the layout is right.  If not I'll have to fix it on site.

I plan to frame the walls this weekend but not sheet them.  Trailer them up and erect and sheet on site next weekend. 

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

Off to Chama this weekend!

My oldest daughter looked at my trailer and said  "you know you are a hillbilly when your entire house can sit on your trailer". 

This is a hefty load for sure.  I am going to have to take my time with this one.  It is packed full of osb, stick lumber and metal roofing below the walls.  Seems like I ought to have more walls on there for a 14X20.  Maybe i should count again  ;D

MountainDon

Seems to be a stowaway there. Better put her to work.  :D

John Raabe

Nice neat package. And it comes with a pop-up helper! :D :D :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

NM_Shooter

OK... got a lot done, but not as much as I had hoped. 

Pulled the trailer up Friday night, and went back down into town for the evening.  Back on site Saturday morning, and hit the ground running.  Pulled the sections of the walls out and laid them around the perimeter.  Within 30 minutes, the first wall was up:

After an hour, all were standing..

Lunch break, and it was sheathed and ceiling joists on:

Saw a grouse in the woods:

And I nice bull that I hope makes it through bow season  ;D  (Actually two elk in this picture)

Quit for the night... Steaks over the campfire.

Deck going on:

Windows in, looking from the NW corner:

Back towards the door from where the beds will be stacked

View out the window:

Got paper on the whole thing, but only got half of the roofing on, and not all of the deck screws before we had to escape due to schedule and weather.  I'm hoping that three rows of screws at the bottom, and one row at the top will secure the panels. 

Pshew.  I'm beat.  Still have to clean up.

Beavers

Really, you got all that done in one weekend!?  

Holy crap!  I'm beat just looking at the pics of all the work you did.  [cool]

chaddhamilton

Man, that's alot of work you accomplished.  Looking good.

Chadd

poppy

Wow, what great progress.  What did you expect to get down beyond that.  ???

One question I have.  I forget your pier detail, but what prevents racking of the piers or are you planning on some type of bracing?

peteh2833

Nice job !!!!!!!!!! You got alot done in a short amount of time.....
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

NM_Shooter

Quote from: poppy on August 24, 2009, 11:00:58 AM
Wow, what great progress.  What did you expect to get down beyond that.  ???

One question I have.  I forget your pier detail, but what prevents racking of the piers or are you planning on some type of bracing?

I am a little concerned about the piers racking on the high side.  They go into the ground about 30", and each has 4 bags or more of concrete on the outside of the blocks.  I am thinking about bracing them on the outside (not pier to pier)to protect against racking.  I will monitor closely for awhile!

MountainDon

Wow, Frank! Great progress. 

Is that roofing metal the same color as mine?

As for the piers I think you could install some haevy angle or channel steel diagonal X braces between adjacent sets of piers. Or some PT 2x bracing. You'd have to drill into the blocks and concrete fill but that would be insurance.

It rained on me Sunday afternoon and evening too.  :(

NM_Shooter

Quote from: MountainDon on August 24, 2009, 09:50:11 PM

Is that roofing metal the same color as mine?

As for the piers I think you could install some haevy angle or channel steel diagonal X braces between adjacent sets of piers. Or some PT 2x bracing. You'd have to drill into the blocks and concrete fill but that would be insurance.

Maybe... dark green from Crego roofing.  I screwed up on the drip edge trim profile though and will have to work around it.

I like your idea about bracing with angle iron.  Good thing about bracing is that if you install it early, it does not have to be as hefty as if you wait to repair.  Maybe I can brace pier to pier along the long side (probably get by with just a couple a side).  I don't want to drill into the piers.  I may brace from the beams directly into a concrete plug in the ground at the base of the soil.  More digging.   d*

I'd like to find a way to brace it laterally on the outside (to keep the crawlspace usable).  I'm thinking of bracing with 2" tubing on the uphill side into the ground to keep it from shifting.  Hmmmmm......

I'm happy with the stiffness of the floor and the overall structure.  Here's hoping for more progress soon!

NM_Shooter

Heading back up this weekend with my build crew.  On the list:

finish soffits
finish roofing
siding on / trim installed
door installed

stretch goal : chimney

Next weekend will be insulation and wire across the bottom of the floor, and insulation in the cabin itself.  Maybe take some measurements for bracing.

I told Don I am experiencing cabin burnout.  I have not been at my house on a weekend all summer.

Off to Home Depot tonight to try and find everything I need.  Somebody light a candle for me.

NM_Shooter

Okay... siding on and roof done.  Still need to caulk and paint, but may leave the Hardi Plank in primer only through the winter.  Insulation and wire bottom this coming weekend, and maybe pier braces too.  Getting cold at night already.  Didn't pause to take many pictures this time.

Making the decision to bring a small crew of pros to help me work was the best decision I've made.  It cost me ~$2500 for two weekends of work from them, but man...... we got a lot done!

Siding going on:

One of the big challenges for me on this project has been working around mistakes either in planning or in materials, or measurements or whatever.  The one that is going to bug me for a long time is this one... I framed for a 36" door, but I only brought a 32" door with me.  Grrrrrr.  Then I forgot the door flashing too. 

We made it work, but now I won't be able to get a 32" shower unit in through the door.  I'll be bringing in a pan and wall sections.  Note the fancy front porch.

Still... happiness prevailed when a lockable door was in place.

East side of cabin... done roof and siding!

View of my shack from across the dam:

After I get the last bit of weather proofing and critter proofing done I can slow down.  Hard to believe this has taken well over a year for something the size of a shed!  No electrical or plumbing either. 

MountainDon

Looking nice, Frank.

There are now some paints that can be applied when temperatures are expected to drop as low as 35 F instead of the norm of about 50 F.    Hardie says it should be painted within 90 days, I think.   ???   That 12 inch wide goes fast with a roller, once the edges are brushed.

MountainDon

I came back for another look.   :D

I like the porch. It reminds me of mine. I guess I had the deluxe version, two log sections plus some 2x10 for a step up.

Too bad about the door.  :(

How cold is a cold night right now?  I know you're 10,000 plus. Just what exactly?  I had 50 degrees Sat and Sunday nights, but I guess I got enough insulation in as the temp inside didn't drop below 68 (windows closed).

rick91351

You all did very well!  Looks like you can sort of relax a little now.  Most of the pressure is now off and you can start look forward to some fall activities.

When can you start to expect snow at 10,000 around there?  (Other that anytime it decides to!)  I mean the kind that is going to be there till say next spring.
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.