18x28 2-story Northern wisc.

Started by Patrick, March 28, 2013, 09:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick

Foundation waterproofed and passed inspection

Patrick

next got the place cleaned up and backfilled the foundation I did this without pouring the floor first I had no issues other than the bobcat almost falling in the hole pretty much scared the crap out of me but in the end just another lesson learned

Patrick

Started framing

Patrick

Just had some major storms up there 50 mph winds lots of trees down so hopefully everything is ok talked to the power company today all set to go there I'm installing  the meter socket and panel this weekend and as soon as they get the stamp they say maybe 2 weeks till power I cant wait  the generator I have is a real piece of something still no trusses yet I'm happy with the progress so far and really liking how its coming together was lucky to have my dad and brother come up and help this week nice to not  have to do every little thing yourself

Squirl

Quote from: Patrick on August 27, 2013, 08:17:29 PM
next got the place cleaned up and backfilled the foundation I did this without pouring the floor first I had no issues other than the bobcat almost falling in the hole pretty much scared the crap out of me but in the end just another lesson learned

You are not alone.
I learned that lesson the hard way. 

Patrick

That stinks that happened, its so much work to get to that point and then one little mistake and its all undone.Hopefully you where not hurt that is always my concern working alone fairly far away from help.those machines can really throw you around like a rag doll. A guy I worked with was killed this summer pulling a stump and his tractors front end came up and fell on him, a real tragedy trying to live his dream and then lights out.

Patrick

Went up last weekend and installed the meter socket and panel, Inspection passed and poco has been out and planning the run he called and was unsure where the property lines are. I have one of those solid steel fence posts painted bright yellow about 4 feet tall next to the steel pin with a red flag and his flag was about 1 foot away and he did not see this. My confidance of this going well is fading fast. I will be faxing him a map a child could understand on monday.

Patrick

Went up yesterday and brought the last load of plywood hopefully, roof trusses to be delivered on friday .Started the roof on one of the canted sections the generator/compressor are not working well together the generator does not produce enough power to start the compressor when there is air in the tank, so I had to fill the tank shoot as many nails as possible drain the tank start the compressor fill the tank and repeat.Power cannot come soon enough.I still need to finish overhangs and I quickly just put some 15# on for some waterproofing I did not have any ice barrier with me.But I'm happy just getting it more weatherproof.

Patrick

We are on the grid and I could'nt be happier about it. Wired in a couple outlets the compressor is working ok but the generator defenitely did damage it. I just really cant stand listening to generators.The trusses arrived and I brought up about half of the roofing materials my brother and I are going up for a week this week to hopefully get that done that will be nice when the roofs on.I did manage to get the second roof on the other canted area this one went faster and I think it turned out nicer. its quite possible this side of the house was straighter.

OzarkBrandon

I'd love to see a floor plan for your place if you have anything you can post easily.  Looking great, enjoying your progress.

Patrick

No floor plans or set dimensions for anything inside there will be a kitchen and bath on the main floor and a spot for washer/dryer and 2 bedrooms and maybe 1/2 bath on 2nd floor not sure if anything will be in the basement I want to get a feel for how the place flows before any walls go up I did frame the main level bath and will need to change that already this place is designed to be added on to there will be another 18x28 single story that will be built off of the corner of this place that will have the family room and walk-out basement.as my family grows so will this place.

Patrick

Another 5 day marathon and its mostly closed in main roof is complete and some windows are in door is in and just did a bunch of clean-up.

CjAl

I am assumption ng this isn't your first rodeo building is it?  Looks great and progress is good. I miss WI, it will always be home. I lived north of monroe before I moved to tx but was raised in west allis

CjAl

Btw my wife worked for a land zoning lawyer in madison for many years. Know what eco nazis the wi dnr is I don't envy you for dealing with them on lakefront property

Patrick

I also love the area the first time I saw Lake Superior I said this is where i want to live It never gets old. I have'nt had any run-ins with the dnr yet but they made my neighbor put out his fire because it was 5 minutes to 6 ( Burn times there is 6-12pm and you need a permit and you have to call to make sure its ok ) they also fined his brother 250 for fishing with no license. So I hope if I follow their many many rules I'll be ok but you never know with the man!

Patrick

Got up this weekend terrible weather had everything rain,sleet,snow ,winter is coming already got one window box done ready for the window next weekend.Got a start on a 10x8 deck put up a wall to enclose the stairs and installed a baseboard heater put in some rafter blocking and started some insulation got a lock on the door and slept in the place for the first time that was pretty cool was a little cold but not bad there was ice in my water barrel so it was clearly pretty cold out I have another baseboard heater but I didnt have time so Im hoping with some more insulation and the other heater it should be pretty comfortable.

dablack

Everything looks great.  What is the pitch of your roof?  6/12?

Patrick

dablack

thanks.  I had it in my mind that 6/12 would be too low of a pitch for a two story but your house changed my mind.  From looking at the trusses on the ground, it looked like 6/12 but it looked good up on top.   Glad I saw this. 

thanks again,
Austin

Patrick

Got a bit more done this weekend one window is finally done the deck is usable and it is so much easier to get things in and out now got some more insulation in and installed another baseboard heater which kept it pretty warm with the upstairs blocked off the door is on going to the basement brought up a microwave and toaster oven and set up a king size bed which was pretty awesome compared to the back of the suburban.also moved the bathroom wall out about 1 foot. This weekend hoping to get the other upstairs window in and finish the lower level insulation and get the blocking in upstairs and plug the holes for winter

Patrick

Finished the other second story window they dont look like much but it takes me a pretty much a day start to finish to complete but the only holes left now are the eves on the second floor finished the first band of cedar so I get mount an outdoor outlet for my brothers camper. having my wife and my to oldest sons up for the first time this weekend.the main floor has a layer of foam now so its fairly comfortable if I block off the second floor.I also got the new windows for the bathroom but I'll put those in the spring .

Patrick

Brought the wife and two oldest boys up for the first time and did some exploring at Amnicon falls state park this is the same river that flows through our lake just further down stream closer to lake Superior where it exits everyone had a great time and they cant wait to go back. not much work was done but I did add a couple more outlets and put in a rv outlet for my brothers camper.Winter is coming the lake was totally frozen over on friday then opened back up the rest of the weekend did snow a little but nothing stayed yet.Going back in a couple weeks to return the block pallets(15$ each) and start hoarding some block for the spring project

Don_P

Winders are tough to build. A few of the stipulations are that they cannot be narrower than 6" at the narrowest point of the tread and must be 10" or more wide at the 12" walkline. The winding treads at the 12" walkline must also be within 3/8" of one another in width. It can take me several tries drawing to get all that to come together.

That is a nice area, we built 2 log houses and a log sauna outside of Solon Springs, there's a Superior agate hanging in our bedroom window  :)

Patrick

Wisconsin still allows winders to come to a point and they only need to be a minimum of 7" at the 12" walkpoint and I double checked this with my inspector and saved the e-mail .I am aware many states require a 6" minimum which I believe they took from commercial building codes which makes using winders pointless. Copied from Wisconsin code" `Winder treads in series.' Two or more winder treads may be placed immediately adjacent to each other anywhere in a stairway provided both of the following conditions are met:
SPS 321.04(2)(c)3.a. a. The winder treads shall have a minimum tread depth of 7 inches measured at a point 12 inches from the narrow end of the tread.
SPS 321.04(2)(c)3.b. b. The depth of the immediately adjoining winder treads shall be equal at a point 12 inches from the narrow end of the tread or inside face of spindles or balusters.
SPS 321.04(2)(c)3.c. c. Winder treads may not be used on a straight stairway.
SPS 321.04(2)(c)4. 4. `Individual winder treads.'
SPS 321.04(2)(c)4.a.a. An individual winder tread may be placed between rectangular treads or at the end of a flight of rectangular treads provided the tread depth, measured at a point 12 inches from the narrow end, is equal to the tread depth of the rectangular steps in the flight.
SPS 321.04(2)(c)4.b. b. There may be more than one individual winder tread in a stairway or in a flight of stairs.
SPS 321.04(2)(c)4.c. c. Winder treads may not be used on a straight stairway.

Don_P

Excellent work on checking first and on saving the email for the future. I didn't consider it egregious just a code heads up to other builders in the planning stages. Not too long ago I had to redraw and fit in a set that had been drawn to a point, the designer had not been aware of the min width in the model, and in our state, code. Many, if not most of us are bound by this set of stair codes;
http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/irc/2012/icod_irc_2012_3_sec011.htm?bu2=undefined
It doesn't make a winder pointless (or... I guess it does  :D), it sure makes them more difficult to figure out and they do require more room. On the plus side they are less likely to cause a twisted ankle for someone who is not paying attention.