Cason Two-Story 20x40 Texas update 10/10/07

Started by Jimmy_Cason, January 07, 2006, 12:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy_Cason

I started Framing last Thanksgiving weekend!  52 weekends.
But.. I took a lot of breaks in the summer months!

Jimmy_Cason

Here are a few pics of the downstairs area.
We are living in it now and still continue to add something every weekend.
Insulation for the downstairs has become very important lately!

pioneergal

AWESOME JIMMY!

It looks great .....it's all coming together.
So happy for you and the family!

Please keep the pictures coming :)

Jackie

jraabe

Merry Christmas and Congrats!

Lights, some furniture, a kitchen, and a tree.

The place looks downright home like!  :D

glenn-k

Looks great Jimmy.  Do you have a long commute to work now?

bizzyPDXgal

Thanks for this tip! Your photos and progress have me totally inspired!

"Working alone tip#201  

This is how I got those 3/4" 4 x 8 subfloor sheets on top by myself.  
I nailed a 4 foot long 2x6 across a couple of 8 foot 4x4s. Placed the 4x8 sheets up on the leaning assembly and ran inside, up the ladder and pulled the sheet on up."

I've been buying what I can on interior finishing/cabinets/flooring used/reclaimed building materials. It's exciting to see your home coming together. Thanks Jimmy

patriotn11

Hello,

I am new here  :-[ and have a question for Mr. Cason.  I am from San Antonio, Texas and going to build my own home similar to yours.  I want to build on pier and post like your.  I would like to know what the spacing should be for a 20x40 or 30x40 foot house, single story.
By spacing I mean, how far apart should I checker board the posts and should the be 4"x6" or 4"x4" treated posts or if any better type posts should be used.  The ground is hard but easy with a renter auger from H.D.  About how deep would be the best to dig and is there a certain width also.  People say try and bell shape the bottom of the hole, then pour the cement when the posts are level.

Please give me any other pointers if possible.  thanks from San Antonio,  ;D

Michael

glenn-k

Haven't seen Jimmy for a bit but here is a pix of his foundation.

What you are speaking of on the footings is like the Big Foot footings. Poured concrete with a mushroomed base.  Post and pier can have a concrete or PT pad below them - usually in well drained gravel.

Here is Johns pier info

http://countryplans.com/foundation/index.html

We don't  have any examples 30' wide.  Nothing official but I would at least add another row of piers.  Johns plans have foundation plans included.

jraabe

Yes, for a 30' wide home you will need a centerline bearing beam (with piers) for the floor joists (both floors) and possibly the roof load.

The 20" wide universal is the place to start as it has a foundation plan that can be used as a template. It will be modified if you go to a wider building.

Remember, the foundation is first thing you build but the last thing to be designed. After the roof, each floor and the walls, porches and any popouts are designed then you do a load trace down through the building using the snow and live loads as they accumulate on the walls and beams. The beams and piers under the floor are then placed to distribute these loads over the footings and bearing soil.

Jimmy_Cason

Things are kind of slow now. The inside is insulated but has no wall covering. So not much to show there.
I added my front porch and painted the left side. Thats about it.

jraabe

Thanks for the update Jimmy.

I like the look of the place.  :D

glenn-k

Looks great, Jimmy.  Looks like you do quite well at just showing the finished side.  Good Job.

For some reason looking at your house in those pictures reminds me of New Orleans (Before the flood). :)

Sassy

Jimmy_Cason

These pics are a little better than the others I posted of the outside.  
Not a lot of extra money to work on the house right now, so I will have to wait to show you guys the inside when it is in progress again.

Kodakjello

Fantastic colour scheme and property siting! I'm looking forward to those interior pictures but finishing the exterior is a big milestone!!

Kodakjello

Sassy

Beautiful!  Might use that color scheme on our rental - looks good!  (been trying to think of colors  :-/ )

Jimmy_Cason

Okay, I'll post a few of the inside. Everyone makes fun of the pictures and things on the walls with no sheetrock.

Preston

This is very inspiring!!!  You have built something to really be proud of!  If you were working on it 6 days a week with optimal weather conditions, how long do you think it would have taken?  I really like the layout you chose as well!

Sassy

Hey, what's wrong with that?  We still have plastic on some wall areas & insulation showing in other places!  In fact, we still have a dirt floor where we 1st started living - Glenn wanted to be in the cabin, so quick built a bed out of wood he had & put some indoor-outdoor carpet down over the ground & we've yet to move it all out & finish the floor   :-/ - we are probably going to change the wall a bit so will wait until then.   If you wait long enough you don't have to do it twice  ;)  :D

glenn-k

Looks great Jimmy.

...and if you wait long enough you may not want to do it at all.  :-/

The important thing is that it is shelter.  That's about all that matters.  Great job, Jimmy. :)

C.White

Your wonderful, open floor plan of the 2 story is making me reconsider the 1 1/2 story to go with the 2 story instead.  I love the way you left it open downstairs and used the space so well.  
The bedrooms, and I'm one of the folks who appreciates you posting the interior pictures, do seem to really have a lot of room in them.  I hope you'll post more interior shots as well.   Believe me, we're not looking at what's not done...
Thanks again for putting your project story in pictures for us to see.  It really helps me stay motivated to build mine this year.
Christina

jraabe

When I first moved to Whidbey Island there were so many people building their own houses as they had the time and money that I remember a new resident who had visited a few of these houses said that it took her a few months to realize that "Certainteed" was not a wall paper pattern. ;D

Jimmy_Cason

Quote If you were working on it 6 days a week with optimal weather conditions, how long do you think it would have taken?  

Once I started framing It took 104 working days (52 weekends) with 2 men at times, before I could move in!

[highlight]1600sq. feet divided by 104 days= 15.38 sq.feet per day[/highlight]

Preston

I never thought of thinking of measuring time by area, I like it.

Jimmy_Cason

For now just a few fuzzy cell phone pics..

The first 3 sheets of sheetrock have gone up in the living area!  Woo- Hooo!   I am not going to miss the owens corning wall paper!