Building skills (or lack there of)

Started by clovergecko1, May 09, 2006, 10:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clovergecko1

Hi, I'm new here and I dont think I have the skills to build. I just bought 2 acres in MO and I would love a cabin for under 4000 the cheaper the better. Any ideas? Anyone up for a trip this summer to help build? Well any ideas or comments are welcome. :)

clovergecko1

By the way I'm talking about a small cabin arround 200 sq ft.

Jimmy_Cason

This is about as easy as it gets!

http://www.jshow.com/y2k/

I had no building skills to speak of before I found this site.
I have found out everything I needed to know from the fine folks here.

hunter63

No body is born with those skills, they are learned, some harders than others.
You waste alot at first, but you can learn by doing.

Was watching a couple of guys building a garage next door. Contractors.
Was a 22'x22'. and when they framed up all four walls at 22', over lapped the slab, stood there shaking their heads,
Thats when I decided that I could do as well, if not better!

Amanda_931

You could come help me!

Or, I've suggested this before, volunteer (construction only, if your chapter is like the one I was once briefly involved with!) for Habitat for Humanity.

glenn-k

There is no reason you can't learn enough here to build the little house if you really want to, Clovergecko1.  Hang out here - get plans - ask questions - we'll help you out.

There are many success stories  here.  Jimmy's is a great one - check out his stuff.

http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1136612461

clovergecko1

Everyone has been very helpful. As it turns out I have bought some land in MO from the same people that sold some to a gentleman that comes to this site. Our land is about an hour away from each other and we may be able to help each other! He mentioned pole frame construction and after some research of my own I'm sold! I even have a design idea, its an old lookout tower there would be differences of course. Its only two stories high. I could even build the top first and then the lower section could be done later, if the top floor is one room (like the original) the first stage of the project should be relatively cheap and streightforward. If anyone has any ideas feel free to toss them out here. Thank you all!