That 200 sqf. thing....

Started by dail(Guest), May 03, 2006, 01:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dail(Guest)

Ok guys, heres the authority on small cottage construction. Asthetics ain't bad either.
Take a look and see what you think.

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/information.htm

By the way, I'd still like to know if any major changes have occurred in the industry regarding all weather wood foundations. Thanks!....d

water8

Billy Bob

Dail, would that be similar to or the same as a permanent wood foundation?  By that I mean a more or less conventionally framed basement of pressure treated lumber:
http://www.southernpine.com/pwf.shtml

Looks pretty cool to me, and I read an article from the USDA forestry products division that hyped it a bit.  
Wish I could make up my mind which foundation system to use!   I like the idea of a basement, and the PWF looks very doable, not to mention a big savings in entrained energy.  But I also would like an insulated slab for passive solar thermal storage.
Probably be easier to decide once I get to see the lay of the land. [smiley=lipsrsealed.gif]
Bill

dail(Guest)

Yes. My terminology is probaly outdated, or "regional." I last worked with this subject about twenty years ago as a punch carpenter. I've been a graphics person since, doing carpentry only on a as requested basis. They recently changed the chemical used in treatment to get away from the arsnic based ones, and I haven't really heard any talk on them lately. An inspector told me here, he thought they had faded out of interest. kind of a fad thing.

They are easier to work with, but you do have to do a little more prep. The real bennefit is that a carpenter crew can do the general framing from the ground up, without a mason crew having to be gotten.

I'm thinking of using one for my next project, but was wondering if anything had changed in requirements for them about the country.

Amanda_931

Back in the 70's I only heard about them in the Nashville area as hype from the Forest Products people.

Traditional building didn't use that new-fangled stuff.  So the guys in the 70's didn't either, and besides the masons needed jobs too.  

(timbersil-treated round wood sounds like the future to me  ;) )  Timbersil is non-poisonous, impervious to everything and not available yet.  "Round wood" is stronger than sawn wood by a sizeable factor.