electrical permit issue

Started by UK4X4, September 16, 2011, 05:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UK4X4

After talking to a local electrician he said that the county would not issue a permit
for a temporary RV or temporary installation without plans and building permit already submitted

has any one come across this  before ?

any way arround it ?

I have electric to the plot and was just going to put a meter and 4 way weather proof disconect
and hook up the RV when we are there.

Ie I'd prefer electric now and build in two years when the foundation  issue is clearer

considerations

archimedes

I'd speak directly to the county.

Every county is different.   
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

rick91351

I am wondering if it is the word temporary that is muddying the issue here.

Can you go to the country and ask how detailed it must be.  Ask if just a site plan work because first phase is a RV site.  Explain that in a couple years you plan on adding a cabin or home.  However you are a little foggy there right now yourself and you just want to get a power hook up. 

What you want to do would be allowed in my country without plans and permit for several reasons.  One would be a RV site, a well or such.  As I have tossed out before we can not even get a 911 adress or anything like that until we decide to permit for the house / cabin.  In the mean time I have two RV spots with power, septic tank and water.  But no adress, it is lumped in to our power bill on a page with just a general location.   

District Health claimed they needed a plan to permit.  I had an old three bedroom house plan I submitted that.  Knowing full well that was not what I was going to build.  I think now I very well could have explained that I was going to put in two seasonal, maybe on week end RV pads.  However sometime in the future a home, home that would not be over three bed rooms and they would have permitted it .  Because I do know for a fact when we permit we have to go back to Central District Health and they have to check it off our septic system is in compliance.       
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Don_P

It does vary though. They may put in what we call here a small general service, I have one at the sawmill but they were not at all interested in powering us prior to having a residence. We had to build off a generator. They have eased up a little and I can now get temporary power to a permitted jobsite. The problem for the power company was small, seldom used remote sites that often ended up abandoned. They had considerable time and expense in providing service and continuing maintenance for a dead loss at the end of the line. I can see both sides of this one.

Dave Sparks

They all vary and also their answers vary from day to day.  We could not even get a propane tank delivered as they wanted inspection and plan. We then played their game and cut in a road to harvest fire wood (no plan needed by our county for firewood) They just knew we were going to live in a trailer. We told them if we freeze to death the county could be liable and ba da boom propane tank.  I finally wore them down but it is not easy. There is a nice house where the trailer was now.
"we go where the power lines don't"

Rob_O

Speak to the county.

On the county website it says I need driveway, septic and building permits before I can get electrical. When I showed up in person, the nice lady at the JE office told me I didn't need a permit for my "little shed like they sell up the road" and took the $25 for my electrical permit without any questions.
"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

Squirl

Generator/ solar with batteries.  Depending on power usage, it might be cheaper.  Locally, connecting power to a residence is free from the power company.  Setting up a connection for an RV, they charge out of the wazoo.

I'm not sure an electrical permit is needed here for that. I believe the permits are for buildings here.  You also don't need a separate electrical permit with a building permit here.

I would get the information directly from the horse's mouth first.

You can also move or sell the generator or solar when you are done with it.

UK4X4

Electrician recomended to apply for a pump permit - for the septic pump

so I've sent in a friend on a mission to the permit office.

The RV has a generator but just prefered less noise and aux heat easily done during the winter trips at -5C

Squirl

How much is a building permit?

They are $75 here.  Maybe get one and just not build it?

Rob_O

Quote from: UK4X4 on September 19, 2011, 05:17:00 PM
Electrician recomended to apply for a pump permit - for the septic pump

so I've sent in a friend on a mission to the permit office.

The RV has a generator but just prefered less noise and aux heat easily done during the winter trips at -5C

Sounds like a nice little loophole if they don't require you to install a septic system.

UK4X4

Well they refused the electrical permit - even a pump one as its a dry plot

and also when explaining the pump was for the septic system.

So I'll need to put in for a building permit- but thats not exactly straight forward

I need a whole bunch of other "permits" fire-health-uranium etc etc etc and the
building permit system is based on build cost and size of the proposed property

My plot has a STEP sewage line - the tank and pump being part of the system for macerating and onward pumping

Really I was only going to install the tank and use it as a holding tank and get it pumped out when required as its only a vacation site- 3-4 times a year

So look's like I'll wait for my next trip and do the legwork myself

Rob_O

Well, that really sucks...

That being the case, Squirl has the right answer with adding a small solar system to keep the lights on while the generator is off. How many batteries can you make room for?