leopold bench

Started by Billisnice, December 08, 2009, 09:22:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaineRhino

I built two more this weekend, but ran out of PT wood and carriage bolts.

These two have a five degree angle difference from the first two, with the notched backs and all other dimensions the same. I did adjust the overall length of the bench to work with what wood I had left. 

The newer, less laid back one is on the right, obviously.

My wife prefers the newer ones that sit more upright. I prefer the other ones.

Pine Cone:  Very nice! I like the idea of using cedar instead of PT!

JavaMan

Ok, I finished mine, but I think I did something wrong. (picture to come eventually)

Just looking at the space between the back of the seat and the bottom of the back, it looks like you have more on your benches than I have on mine.  Which leads me to wonder what the lengths of the legs are that you were using.  Mine I cut to 33"  as in the drawing on the previous page in this thread.  Was yours a bit longer?

Thanks

MaineRhino

My side pieces were 36", measured from the point to the short edge of the angle.

JavaMan

Quote from: MaineRhino on May 31, 2010, 07:41:49 PM
My side pieces were 36", measured from the point to the short edge of the angle.

Well, I guess that explains why they look about 3" taller in the picture than mine does  d*  I used the 33" measurment that was on the drawing posted earlier in the thread.  I know you worked off of the design in the book, which must have been slightly different.  I guess the next one I build I will have to try the 36" measurement then.  :)

Thanks!

Pine Cone

Here are my revised plans for a pair of Leopold benches.  Used them more this weekend and they seem to work well.

glenn kangiser

Nice plan and good looking bench.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Nice work , they look like good benches. 
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Pritch

Great benches.  I'd love to see half logs or slabs used to make them even ,ore rustic looking.  (Would probably complicate things.) 
"The problem with quotes from the internet is that they're not always accurate." -- Abraham Lincoln

MrDamon

Nice job.. I saw your images and built one this weekend.  Thanks for the motivation.

John Raabe

Nice work all! An inspirational early project.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

hpinson

Made two of these a few years back. They were a fun project and have served well.

new land owner

I built 4 of these for my front porch. I always ask everyone to sit on one and see how comfortable they are.

Adam Roby

I love the idea, but wonder how much butt room there is? 
I have some hefty friends, figure you can substitute for 2x12" on the seat portion?

hpinson

I have to say I don't find them particularly comfortable.  The 10" back kind of digs in after awhile, and yes the seat could be a bit wider.  You could increase the back and seat width proportionally to 12" as well as the height of the back, and that might help - easy enough to experiment with. 

Pine Cone

I'm still liking my benches, but I need to build a few more for our garden.  This time around I think I will try making a slightly wider seat, maybe using two 2x6s instead of a 2x6 and a 2x4.  That would result in a slight overhang at the front of the bench, or I could use a 2x10 for the rear supports.  Not likely to make them before I retire in a couple of months, but I will post progress when it occurs.  If I can find the right slabs, I will use them for seats.  Still have some left over from my cabin build...

For what it's worth, back in the 1970's Aldo Leopold's son Starker taught Wildlife Biology while I was in forestry school at UC Berkeley.  Pretty interesting family...

Snakelover

Quote from: MaineRhino on May 17, 2010, 07:24:40 PM
Last Saturday I finally built two Leopold benches using the plans in the book by Fears.
Those benches look great!  I joined this forum mainly so I could ask you about the plans.  I have since found a book called "How to Build Your Dream Cabin in the Woods" by J. Wayne Fears.  I'm pretty sure that's the right one, but could you confirm?  Thanks!

glenn kangiser

Welcome to the forum.  w*   Nice to see this topic up again. Some day I may have to build one. I forgt whats here if I don't see it once in a while. d*

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Dave Sparks

Hey Glen!  we will be up to 80" of rain this season soon. How is it over on your hill?
"we go where the power lines don't"

MountainDon

No problem filling the cisterns this year!   ;)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Dave Sparks

No problem filling the Ocean either  :(
"we go where the power lines don't"

Snakelover

Quote from: glenn kangiser on February 23, 2017, 12:39:34 PM
Welcome to the forum.  w*   Nice to see this topic up again. Some day I may have to build one. I forgt whats here if I don't see it once in a while. d*
Thank you for the welcome!  I hope to build a bench or two soon and I'll try to remember to post some pictures.

azgreg

glenn kangiser

I hope to build some too one of these days... so many things to get done... :)