I just purchased river-front property for a cabin project

Started by Barry Broome, January 24, 2011, 07:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Broome

Bay Springs Lake is near Corinth. An old friend of the family, he's passed on now, but he had grown up near Corinth and always reminisced about the hills and hollars there. He loved it. It looks you guys will get some rain but nothing too serious I hope.

"The press, like fire, is an excellent servant, but a terrible master."

Barry Broome

Here's some pictures my wife took of the flooding along the Wolf River.

You can see the mailboxes under the water. This picture was taken from the Jon boat.

My Father in Law stands at the front of the boat as it winds along with the road a few feet below.

The county probably ran out of these considering how many roads were flooded.

Looks like the boat is getting along fine.

Uncle Lawrence's old Thunderbird. I think it was broken before this happened.

Water above the railings of the bridge.

Wife's Aunt's home. They did mortgage that house and built 4 feet above the 100 year mark.

Another home near the river.

My in-laws cabin. They are on a hill but the water still got close.

A battery powered 4-wheeler floats down the street.

Sassy

Wow, lots of water - can't imagine having to deal with all the destruction & clean up.  I feel bad for all those people who built in good faith that they were high enough  :( 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Barry Broome

A rep from the county said the flood was over the 500 year mark. As a result we are not going to build a permanent structure on the river. We'll clean the property and likely camp/picnic/swim sort of stuff. The wife wants to get an electric meter there so we can pull up a camper. But then I'd have to worry about moving it all the time and that doesn't sound like very sensible. I might get a power pole and do some tent camping from time to time. I could always get one of those indoor standup a/c units to make thing more tolerable in the tent but who knows.  ???

Huge29

Probably smart not to build.  I would not be too worried about having to move the trailer too often, it is called the 100-year plain for a reason.  Just get it insured and be particularly careful in September when most of the flooding occurs.  Best of luck!