Question relating to my VC and the spiral stairs and sound.....

Started by MikeT, March 10, 2009, 10:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

I have a question relating to the spiral stairs and managing sound and temperature.  This is in relation to the project I sent in an update on this morning on the Owner-builder section:

My thinking right now is that I will enclose the staircase down to the basement but have it airy and open up to the loft--remember it is a double stacking spiral one level from the basement to the main level, then then stairs continue to the loft.  My reasoning is that by creating a solid wall that supports the staircase down to the basement, you create some sound baffling from noise in the basement and if you create a door to the staircase, you create a way to eliminate some natural drafts that would come up from a cooler basement.

Thoughts?

mt

John Raabe

I think having an insulated wall and door that can be closed between the basement and main floor is a very good idea. You can then insulate the floor and have two heating and ventilation zones and leave the basement isolated from the rest of the house when needed. This will pay for itself in energy savings and be more healthful as well.

If it is your only access, a spiral stair to the basement may have some code issues.

However, it looks like you have another basement access and a way to get bigger projects out of the basement and into the house.

link to project: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=6563.0
None of us are as smart as all of us.

MikeT

Thanks, John.

I do have a daylight basement.  There is a lower deck with access inside via a sliding glass door.

mt

MikeT

Another opinion question, John:  I am thinking that for the lower staircase (that I will enclose and to which I will create an access door at the bottom), I will need to add lighting for the steps and if so, what do you think about an LED cord along the treadline?  Also I am thinking that I should add some transparency in the enclosed walls, so what would you think of inserting a few glass blocks at a determined height so that folks descending will get a sense that there is a there there?

I appreciate your (and anyone else's) thoughts.

mt

MountainDon

I like glass blocks.

I like the LED string idea as well. What about motion sensor activation. I haven't checked but that could be nice if they make 3 way motion detectors switches. We use MD switches in hall ways, but they are regular SPST types.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John Raabe

I like both those solutions. I expect that the LED string lights may be dated in a few years so you probably shouldn't rely on that alone.

Any chance for a skylight or one of those flexible tube skylights? They can provide a lot of daylighting in a small package.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

MountainDon

I did a quick search; there seem to be a number of 3 way motion or heat sensor switches available.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MikeT

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts.  I will check on the 3 way motion sensor switches.  Since this stairway goes from the main level down to the basement, a skylight won't work, but I do like the idea of getting some light from the main level to carry on down the stairs.  Since the stairs are circular and the cutout in the floor is currently square through which the stairs will rise, I might be able to play with creating some light effect with the area of the square that is not occupied by the steps--the corners in other words.  We'll see what we end up with.

MountainDon

Another thing that can be handy when using motion sensor switches is to wire a photocell control into the power to the light. That way the lights will only go on when it is dark and there is motion. I have a hookup like that in the garage; daytime light through the window keeps the light from turning on when I enter, but in dark or low levels of light the light activates.

MikeT

That sounds very cool, Don.  I will definitely investigate that.  Since I will have guests staying/using the place, the idea of having "control" over energy consumption is very attractive, plus it sounds safe and wise.

mt