Help please--Victoria Cottage in Washington

Started by CREATIVE1, March 19, 2006, 03:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CREATIVE1

We're going to talk to Mason County,Washington, probably in May, about the Victoria Cottage plans. Need to get a few things straight first.

I have contacted the folks at Double-S Cabins in British Columbia and Cedar Buildings in New England about providing either (Double-S) an entire package based on the Victoria Cottage plans or building a precut post and beam framework with cedar either inside, or outside, or both (Cedar Buildings).  Don't have figures yet, but for now would like to ask--

Am I maybe getting myself into any trouble with the building code by changing this to post and beam construction?  Is there anything I need to know here?

Has anyone heard of Double-S?  They're the only ones I've contacted who don't want to charge me thousands in fees to estimate a package price for an entire cabin based on my plans, which only require minor alterations.  

From you Washingtonians, any suggestions for local mills, window manufacturers, roofing manufacturers salvage yards, or builders around us?  We're at Lake Cushman.  I know we'll at least need a plumber, and an electrician who knows about off-grid stuff.

My hopeful budget for the house is $60 a square foot.  The framing labor will be provided at a great discount by a contractor friend in Tampa, and my son, who does this for a living, will build a perimeter foundation--so we get a break there.    Our property and the entire mostly uninhabited mountain is covered with very useful round rocks for building walls,a woodstove surround., and anything else we can think of  We will probably be midway between 100% hands on and acting as a General Contractor on the project. So--is $60 reasonable?  

Looking forward to responses from all you clever DIYers who post to this forum.  Thanks in advance.

John Raabe

You don't want to submit plans for a permit until you have determined your structural system. If you go with a post and beam company they will produce new (different) drawings based on the Victoria design. There will be different details to insulate and meet energy codes, and a new structural design to meet earthquake codes.

If you get a panelized house manufacturer to panelize the house that is another option. That will be closer to the drawings you have but they will also make changes and probably provide a different permit package based on the way they build their panels.

The article in your booklet, "Taking your plans to the Building Dept." has more information.

A post and beam system is usually more expensive than stud frame construction (per the drawings) - especially for the materials.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

CREATIVE1

Thanks, John.  As soon as I get estimates from these two companies, I'll have a much better idea and can also talk to the locals to see what I can do there.  Might just go back to the original plans and uncomplicate everything.  If we hadn't already built one house I'd be completely overwhelmed!  Older now though, so less hands on.  

It looks like Cedar Buildings could get me a surprisingly good price for a post and beam structure, which is why I'm talking to them.  We'll see--and I'll let you know.

Carrie M(Guest)

Would love contact once you hear from those companies--we too are looking into Double-S and are thinking of checking whether any of the panelized companies would standardize a very simple house--we were thinking the 20-34 but that might be too expensive--We are building a second home on a lot in Leavenworth....can you contact me if you hear from Double-S and the other company...we might follow in your footsteps....Carrie