Basement Waterproofing/Honeycomb Repair

Started by mgramann, May 28, 2013, 10:41:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgramann

To those who haven't been following my build in the Michigan UP, my initial concrete contractor really messed up the basement walls.  Structurally they are good, but, as expected, the honeycombing/rock pockets are allowing water into the basement.

Grading is 99% of the issue, and will be corrected, however, since we eventually plan to finish the basement, we want to ensure the walls are sealed.

I'm looking for advise and recommendations on how to seal things up from the inside, since the outside is already tarred, insulated and backfilled.  I suspect I should start by filling in the pockets, but am not sure what to use.

After the pockets are filled, what should I topcoat everything with?  I'm looking for something stronger than paint or drylok-maybe an epoxy or something that actually forms a chemical bond with the concrete and patches.

UK4X4

I really don't think you will be able to repair from the inside whatever waterproofers etc you try - eventually water will get through or arround it

repairing from the inside would be like building a sand fort at the low tide mark

EPDM- gravel and french drains on the outside

mgramann

The problem is it that it is already backfilled.  It has drain tile and was backfilled with sand, and my intention is to put clay-rich topsoil to keep the bulk of the water out, so I'm basically looking to make water coming in the path of greatest resistance.

I COULD excavate, but that would be added cost, along with the cost to find a product that can be put over tar.

archimedes

This stuff is used to waterproof ponds.  Lots of people like it for that purpose.  never used it myself.

http://www.xypex.com/
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

mgramann

I think that Xypex would be perfect.  The grading should take care of most of it, but just in case, it looks like it will be the perfect backup.

Thank you very much!

UK4X4

That stuff looks interesting if it can be believed, it can also be added to cement - so you could mix a light cement sand slurry mix and try and fully seal the holes in the obviously porus parts,

like you would use plaster- or seam seal on a plasterboard wall.

If it does what it says on the can -you should be ok !

I'll be adding a ground level gutter arround my house, ie an EPDM barrier filled with rocks and gravel leading the water away from the foundation, one of the builds in Cali had pictures of it

We were thinking to add a ground level sump container too, seemingly illegal in CO for some reason, would'nt using it as graden water mean it would still end up down stream ?