24x34 in western PA

Started by todpod, September 08, 2009, 04:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

todpod

Hope fully I will be able to start construction of our house next spring.  I own the land with a church currently on it,  It has all utilities to it including water and sewage.  After the house is complete the church will get torn down, hopefully by someone who can reuse most of the wood.  We considered remodeling, but it would be cheaper to start over, esp with utility bills esp gas. Nothing is set in stone at this point and we are trying to get this hashed out, post hopefully to get some good ideas and other suggestions.  He are the basic drawings I have.  There are 5 of use 2 adults and 3 kids.

So there it is, thanks for the suggestions, Todd

peteh2833

Welcome to the Forum. Where in Western Pa are you. I'm near Pittsburgh and I am building a place near Warren Pa. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

poppy

w* to the forum.

Let's see some pics. of the church building and we will help you decide what to do with it.   ;D

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

rick91351

Don't do it man --- we -- I mean they --- will have you talked into a remodel.  I can feel it coming on.  Think of the historical and ascetic value alone.  They just don't build them like that any more.  You are good as done.  Funny I was going to write the same thing myself but I was not wanting to be the one that lead you astray ..... You will have Poppy and Sassy to blame.  Me I am just an innocent bystander.   ::) Wonder how many picnics they had there on the grounds?  Shame to see an old church come down you know..... just a shame... Not pointing the finger or nothing... but..   ;D

Oh I forgot to tell you welcome. 

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

todpod

we are in the big city of Marienville, the good side of forest county  :) .  Your camp in on the other side.  I will post a couple of pics when I get them taken.  Its about 30x44 costs a fortune to heat and the floors are icey cold in the winter.  We have thought and have done a little remodeling but, to do it right would probably cost more then the new house.  The place appraised for $10000, the land is probably worth more then the land with the building.  The land has water and sewage on it I can just hook the new place to.  We want to have someone tear it down who can use the lumber, there is a boatload in it.  The floors are almost 3 inches thick. 

The new place will be earthbermed and well insulated.  We are thinking of putting in a masonry heater to provide most of the heat.  My dad is a mason (retired) who can build this if I can find a good set of plans.

At this point I don't think I can be talked in saving it, anyone want it, must be moved!!, after we build.
Thanks Todd

poppy

QuoteAt this point I don't think I can be talked in saving it, anyone want it, must be moved!!, after we build.
Thanks Todd
OK Todd, you sound convincing, so maybe there is something for someone to salvage?

My place is in south central Ohio, so not real far away, if there is something "churchy" that I could use. Windows? Pews? Timber? Steeple?

I would love to have something from a church building incorporated into the cabin.

Sure would like to see some pics. though.  ;)

todpod

I will try and get pics tomorrow, should be some timbers, the windows aren't worth saving, lots of 2x12 stuff no pews or steeple. 

peteh2833

Todd, you do any snowmobiling? My place is off of Rt 666 near Kelletville/Whig Hill area. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

todpod

Pete I don't snowmobile, but the road in front of my house is a snowmobile road, so I get to listen to them at 3 in the morning.  There are as many as there used to be when we first moved here about 15 years ago.  This is a nice little town it has 2 hardware stores and a state prison, you don't need much more then that.

todpod

Here are some pics of the church

On the bright side if we end up knocking it over with an excavator we can burn the wood in the masonry heater. ;D

HomeschoolMom

I love the earth berms that are being planned or in process!  By the time I am able, I will have lots of mentors   ;D
Michelle
Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys
Married to Jason, Self Employed

Wanting an earth bermed hybrid timberframe...just need some inheritance  ;)  Will never have another mortgage again!

poppy

Thanks for the photos. That church building looks like a palace compared to my old house that I'm currently using as a shop and for material storage.

How about some inside pics.  ;)