Little House Question

Started by Heather, April 17, 2008, 12:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heather

Hi, I think I am posting this in the right section.

I have the enchilada plans. I was planning to build the 12 x 18 little house with the shed roof
as shown in the plans.

Now after reading more and more through the forums and looking through the plans I have a question,
that I hope is not too ridiculous. I really like the dogtrot style houses that have been posted here.
My question is could I build say, three 12 x 18 house side by side, with one having the kitchen and bath,
one being the dogtrot and the last being a bedroom?
Could I do this and have all three little buildings under one shed type roof?

Hoping this is not a completely crazy question.
Thank you soo much for this great forum and the plans. ;D

John Raabe

Nothing crazy about that at all. That is in fact the idea of the dogtrot expandable house.

You will need to support the roofs where they span between the buildings but you can do that with a beam and posts if needed.

You might also want to explore three separate small buildings in a cluster - perhaps with covered walkways. That can start to define an outdoor space between them. This might help break up a "railroad car" look that a long building can sometimes have.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Heather

;D Thank you John.

I am going back and forth between the dogtrot idea and what you are suggesting.

glenn kangiser

You might want to make a few sketches and see what you think of the looks, Heather.  Welcome to the forum.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.