Aerogel Insulation?

Started by RainDog, February 07, 2010, 08:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RainDog

"you could take a two- or three-bedroom house, insulate it with aerogel, and you could heat the house with a candle. But eventually the house would become too hot."

Geez... I'm sure it's expensive, but it'd have to be awful expensive to not pay off fast if it's really that good.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-02/aerogels-hit-consumer-insulation-market
NE OK

John_M

What an interesting concept?  Let's see if it takes of?
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

poppy

Quote"you could take a two- or three-bedroom house, insulate it with aerogel, and you could heat the house with a candle. But eventually the house would become too hot."
Sure, if you don't have any doors or windows or any exhaust fans, etc.   ???

Give me a break; don't give me "pie in the sky" facts; give me how you would actually use the stuff in a house, a real house that someone can live in.

(I have my rant switch turned on today;  :-[ maybe I should just shut down the computer and watch all the football nonsense.)

RainDog

Quote from: poppy on February 07, 2010, 04:56:16 PM

Sure, if you don't have any doors or windows or any exhaust fans, etc.   ???

haha! Yeah, I think we can assume the guy meant without windows, exhaust fans, open doors, or a big block of dry ice.  ;)
NE OK

RainDog

ThermaBlok: The 21st Century Revolution
in Aerogel Building Insulation

"While sounding too good to be true, for something so simple to produce such incredible results, the figures are substantiated by the U.S Department of Energy's Oak Ridge National Laboratory and J. M. Laboratory, which compared two identical (metal stud/gypsum board) walls: One wall with one strip of the material on each 2x4 stud edge (one side only) and the second wall without the material. A 1/4" thickness of the material increased the insulation factor by 30%, and 3/8" increased the insulation factor by 42%. "

http://www.thermablok.com./

$1.99 per foot. Ouch! Maybe it'll come down with increased production.

Snazzy video on that page too.
NE OK