Big Box Ripoffs

Started by Robert_Flowers, March 17, 2008, 05:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert_Flowers

Was at home Depot today to price some lumber they had 2x8x18'pine on shelf for $13.81
When we got home i called Warner Robins supply a small lumber yard ask if that had 2x8x18 pine in stock yes they do and the price $7.69 :o i asked are you sure home depot wants $13.81 the salesman checked again its $7.69 he then asked what i was building i told him we wanted to build a house he said for a whole house they would give me the contracters price and thats $7.32 thats $6.49 cheaper :o

Buy local help the little man let home depot take a long walk on a short pier!

Robert

Redoverfarm

Robert If I have anything of great quanity I usually put estimates out (fax) on the material.  It lets me compare prices from the comforts of my home.  If I am restocking some missed items I just refer back to my original receipt or quotes for the place to buy.  Generally the big box stores are cheap on some things but not always. Buyer beware. 

peternap

What Redover said. I spend a lot of time checking prices. I've found a local lumberyard that saws and dries their own lumber, that beats everyone else. Everything I don't saw, I buy there.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

glenn kangiser

I find that the big boxes are cheap only on things you might notice then nail you on a lot of other stuff making the local guy a good deal many times if you give him a chance.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.