10X10 Cabin In Ontario.... The dream begins...

Started by grover2044, October 20, 2009, 08:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grover2044

Hi All... My first post here, so let me introduce myself. I am Ron and my wife Patty, this all started about a year ago for us and have been going ever since. We bought 10 acres of land in Ontario with a small 18 foot trailer and pond on it.

After searching the internet and finding this site, we have been in tiny cabin mode lol... We have decided on a 10X10 cabin with loft for our first stab at this. The dream gets bigger, but no need to share that now.
At the end of last winter we took the chainsaws and the dogs and went in search of that "perfect spot" for our cabin. We found it and here is a picture on it in late spring:

I have been using kijiji and other resources to "gather" my supplies over the summer. The pile was getting quite large so I thought it was time to start the cabin. On Friday I was able to get the floor framed in and foundation set:

We returned Saturday and put up the walls:

Lots of work to still go, but hey the dream has started... I have been doing all my cutting at home, so rafters are in the plan for this week, as well as I just secured 22 sheets of plywood for $50 :)...

The total we have spent to date, not including the plywood is $24.00... I am trying to reuse, recycle, beg, borrow all the the materials... We have found a local saw mill that is giving us slab cedar for the siding no charge :)...

Well that's all for now, just wanted to share with all of you out there, and I will update as progress continues...

Cheers,
Ron

mldrenen

welcome.  i'll be following this thread with great interest, as i'm starting a 10'x10' cabin on my property within the next few weeks.

good luck, and keep us posted!

glenn kangiser

That's cool, Ron and Patty.  

Thanks for posting this project.  I especially like to see others making use of recycled materials and other natural and un-natural resources to make a low cost home or other structure. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

w* to both of you. That's a fine lot you have with the lake frontage. Is the frontage private or is there a public easement? You also have a fine bunch of thick trees. Are there plans for thinning and reducing cire danger?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Dad

Looks very impressive- great start! I'll forward the link to Uncle Mike, who always wanted to do something like this. Snow's coming!

grover2044

Hey Don... The frontage is all ours, no access, so very private. Some of the land around the pond is environmentally protected, but we are happy with that.
Yes I have in the plans to do some thinning of the tress, but time isn't on my side. Maybe over the winter...
Thanks Dad... fun working with reused wood let me tell ya lol....

Thanks to all for the comments...

upa

Congratulations on a great piece of land and great start, looking forward to seeing more. Great looking goldens, they look just like ours

Yonderosa

Welcome.  I look forward to watching your progress.
http://theyonderosa.blogspot.com/

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

Redoverfarm

w*

That is awfully small for two adultts.  Add the dogs and it will be very comfy.  Are your plans to have a small loft?  Is there utilities near by or will you go off grid?

grover2044

Yes my plan does include a loft for sleeping... I am also trying to incorporate some storage in the floor (still in the planning phase for that)... No utilities for quite a way, so we will be off the grid, and I think it will stay that way :)
Forgot to mention that we have 7 kids too LOL....

Osprey

Quote from: grover2044 on October 20, 2009, 02:54:38 PM
Yes my plan does include a loft for sleeping... I am also trying to incorporate some storage in the floor (still in the planning phase for that)... No utilities for quite a way, so we will be off the grid, and I think it will stay that way :)
Forgot to mention that we have 7 kids too LOL....

Perfect no need for heat.

Redoverfarm

Grover I was just curious on why you framed the walls before the floor?  Generally (but w/exceptions) the subfloor is laid on the floor joist and then the walls are erected.

grover2044

Hey Redover,

I really don't have any good explanation as to why I did it that way... the biggest reason, was at the time the floor was "undetermined" and we were kicking around ideas of roof sheathing, or the cedar slabs for the floor... After picking up all the plywood yesterday, I am thinking that I will take down the walls and place the floor on as you suggested... If I don't I will be putting in a 2x4 on its side for further support of the walls... Some times as the dream becomes alive we miss some of the simplest details...

speedfunk

Good luck on the dream. 

Our dream is to be as self sufficient as possible, so we can be free to enjoy this crazy trip :) 

I really look forward to seeing you progress.   It will be tough at times but I'm sure it will be worth it.  Unless your dream is to blow up the world  d* , then not so worth it.

Bobmarlon

congrats on getting your dream going make sure you get lots of glue for your floor. 

grover2044

Curious as to why I would need lots of glue for the floor?

Thanks Bobmarlon and speedfunk for the good luck wishes.... thinking I will need them ;)

grover2044

Update:

Well this week I have learned alot (which I am sure is never enough) about rafters. We have decided on a 8/12 roof with gable ends (thanks to the link for easy rafters :)). Also thanks to all who chimed in about the loft support, I have a plan now and with any luck it will be strong enough...

I ended up passing on the OSB that I had lined up for a better deal.... 42 4x4 OSB sheets and 50 2x4x8 for $120 (reclaimed from a wedding dance floor).... should be enough wood to finish the project I hope.
Today is cutting rafters, spacers for the walls and floor, and loft support. Tomorrow (weather permitting) we hope to get up to the cabin and get the roof on, as well as clean up a few other things that need to be done. I hope to have pictures for you all soon of that progress...

Total $ todate - $178.85

Supervisor Saloman lol

grover2044

Well the other things took up more time than expected. We did get alot of the wood delivered up to the property that we need to get it closed in before the snow flies:

Truck loaded up:

We put spacers in the floor and walls as you can see here:

We also added wood to attached the floor to when it gets fastened down.

We started to put the loft in, but we soon decided that we should get the walls sheathed in. We ran out of time for that, but here is where the "cabin" stands as we left it..

Always next week to get more done ;)

grover2044

Well I managed to take the afternoon off yesterday and get over to the property to do some work on the cabin. All and all a great afternoon, I was able to "tidy" up a lot of stuff.

Some windows I was able to pick up for free:

Picture from the loft facing north west:

Picture from the loft facing south west:

Picture from the loft facing south east:

Picture from the ravine looking up at the cabin:

The next trip up to the cabin will likely see some sheathing go on the building. Most of the materials are up there to complete the cabin at this point.
All and all its going well, certainly have learned a lot about building a cabin in the woods, so things should be easier the next time around lol...

grover2044

Well it was a crappy day weather wise, but Patty and I managed to get a lot completed yesterday. We were able to get the ridge board and rafters on...

As well as 90% of the roofing:

And most of the walls, except were the door will be:

Here is an inside shot if the loft:

Really happy with the cabin now... I hope to return today and get the rest if the roof completed as well as the gable ends...

Still learning a lot but enjoying every minute of it :)

mountainmomma

Nice progress Ron and Patty!! Really coming together now. One thing I noticed, you see those lines on the inside of the roof on the o.s.b. on that last pic?  Those are nailing lines, they go on the outside. The side with the writing is for the inspector, that goes on the inside.   ;D  But I know how things get comprimised trying to beat the snow. Keep up the good work.

Redoverfarm

Grover not trying to beat you up or anything but a little constructive critisim.  On your next house  ;D  when you run your sheeting try not to allow the sheets to join when going from one course to the next.  I realize that you were working with 1/2 sheets but you will get a lot stronger bond if you stagger the seams.  With no larger than you are building it will probably be just fine.  Your sheeting adds rigidity to the walls.  If they are staggered it will be more rigid.

grover2044

Thanks all for the tips and suggestions.... I never claimed to be a builder ;), but as I said in a earlier post I am learning a ton of stuff...

grover2044

Just some pictures I forgot to add the last time we were up there. I know that the tape is to hold the Tyvek type material, but we will not be using any, so I taped the seams for good luck I guess...
Here is a 32x80 steel door that I re-claimed from a metal bin:

We managed to get the one gable end complete:

And the other is not complete yet, as I am still trying to locate a window for it:

Inside picture of the loft:

I have got a lead on some metal roofing for $50 (again reclaimed) and hope to pick that up today. Finishing the floor and the roof are next in my list as well as getting our wood stove installed up there...

Busy busy busy ;)