Deer Run- 16x26 in Oklahoma

Started by ScottA, October 11, 2007, 03:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muldoon

This is one of my favorite projects on the site, in fact it was one of the first threads that led me to join the site .. quite a while back.  I have not been keeping up with your progress the last 2 months.  WOW!  Thanks for the pictures, the shared knowledge and the inspiration here.  The house looks fine. 

ScottA

Thanks for the support.  :)

Well we've been in the mid 90's and very humid this week. My 12k btu A/C is keeping the place comfy and not even running full time. Before we moved in I took a wild guess on the propane and bought 2 40# bottles. I hooked them up so I could run both at the same time or just one. After 5 weeks the first bottle (just running on 1 bottle for now) feels like it still has about 10# of gas in it. That's for cooking and hot water. Not bad at all since we cook pretty much every day and had company for 5 days last weekend.

I just finished making the last drawers for the desk and the door. I've got 9 doors left to make for the storages then the woodwork is done.

ScottA

For those who might be interested. We did a full accounting of the costs to date at Deer Run this past weekend for taxes. I was too busy to do it earlier.

Here's the breakdown.

Land- $11,000
Water- $3640
Septic- $2500
Power- $500
House- $21,640...Seems I lost track of some things along the way  d* Still works out to less than $55 a foot.
Appliances $1700

Total= $40,980

Phase 2 starts next month...

bayview

Scott:

Your place really came together . . .   Looks great!   

Hope you weathered yesterdays storms, ok . . .

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

ScottA

Thanks bayview. We made out fine in the storms. We really got hammered today. Lighting took out the network card on my comp and the dsl modem. It hit about 20' from the house so I guess the EMP got them. Luckily I my laptop has wireless as well and that still works. I had to run to town and get a new modem after the storm.

Tom

I spent the past few days going from start to finish in this thread. I just wanted to thank you for sharing your dream with us.

They say that the devil is in the details; in your case, your little piece of heaven is in the details. This is what kept jumping out at me throughout this thread... the details; it's what makes your place pop. It's been an encouragement to me to get moving on my small cabin... which will pale in comparison.

The other thing that jumped out at me was the speed in which you completed this project. I sat here on Monday reading about the foundation, and here we are on Thursday and you're finished already  :D Ok, I can see that this project took you quite a while, but the end result is beautiful!

Nice house Scott.

ScottA

The kids came to visit a couple of weeks ago to check out the new place.

I started clearing for the guest cottage. I had to fold this tree up to bring it down in this tight space.

My new 96' Ranger. The 91' Chevy finaly died.

I rocked around some of the piers with left over stones.

I made this chest with scrap wood to fit in the alcove in the loft.

ScottA

Shot of the storage loft with the doors installed.

The inside is basicly done. I've got a little to do on the outside later this fall but I need to get the second building up first so I have some storage space for tools. This next building will be 140 sq. ft. with a 1/2 bath and a 10x10 bedroom. The deck will connect it to the main house. It will sit just a few feet to the north west.

MountainDon

Cool, Scott.... the never ending project.   :D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

phalynx

Phase 2?  I like your style!

Shawn B

Scott, WOW your place is awesome. I like the creative use of luan and the Dutch gables

I have some of questions. Did you add any support under the slab for the fireplace, such as a adjustable  beam support or foundation blocks ?  Did you use dye to finish it and the counter tops ? If so does it go on when the concrete is still wet or dry. Does the Jotul have a ash pan?  Is there any other backup or supplemental heat source ?

Thanks,
Shawn
"The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule." Samuel Adams

ScottA

Thanks Shawn, I'm happy you like it.

There is a beam and a pier directly under the stove hearth also the subfloor is double thickness there. The finish on the counter and hearth is acrylic enamel. It's a little more complicated than that but, thats basicly what it is. I had planned to polish the concrete but my wife said no. She likes the slightly rough look better. The idea was for it to look like stone. It works for me and it was easier so I said Ok. The stove does not have an ash pan but it's not a problem since it's so tiny. There is no other heat source, none is needed. I discovered a long time ago that if I have a thermostat I'll get lazy about keeping the fire going. If we ever need to, we have an nice electric space heater we can use as a backup.

Scott

Shawn B

Thanks for answering, Scott. When I build my cottage I was thinking of building a framed hearth then tiling it, but the slab method looks easier and IMO more rustic. The reason I asked about supplemental heat is for the times when no one will be home to keep the fire going. When at work, vacations, etc.   
"The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule." Samuel Adams

jamest

Hi Scott!  I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post to your thread.  Just want to say that your place is awesome!  Great job....    I'm currently riding out my last month of a year long tour in Afghanistan,  and have been doing a lot of research on small homes.  My wife and I are planning to build in about a year after i come home.   About 1/2 way threw all the pages,  I read that you spent about 8K (dried in, roofed, sided)...and i probably missed it along the way,  but what was your final cost (or cost per sqft)?   Again,  Great Job!!!    James T,  guyton, ga

ScottA

w*  jamest Thanks for the kind words.

Final cost was about $53 a sq. ft.

Dog

The wilderness is a beautiful thing for the soul. Live free or die.

Alasdair

Having not had an internet connection for a while I missed the last year of this project. All I can say is WOW!
You set a new standard for the small homes on the forum. Great job Scott. You must be pleased with the results!  :)
Al

ScottA

Thanks for the kind words.

Some pics of the finished piers for the guest house I'm building.

considerations

Just can't get enough of the building stuff - a guest house? 

When you run out of your own projects and need something to do you can stop by and help me erect a summer kitchen!   [rofl2]

ScottA

Yeah it's wierd. I build this tiny place in the woods and I suddenly have tons of guests. My #2 daughter and my son are both here today. They hardly ever used to visit until we moved here.

A summer kitchens not a bad idea. I'd stop by help if you wheren't on the other end of the continent.

WoodSprite

Quote from: ScottA on August 05, 2010, 01:04:01 PM
A summer kitchens not a bad idea.

Does this count?

We have visions of the real thing (including an old wood cookstove that a friend is saving for us), but we probably need to finish the winter kitchen first...
The Chronicle of Upper Tupper
This place was made by doing impractical things we could not afford at the wrong time of year.   -Henry Mitchell

considerations

I already have a kitchen like that LOL!

I have an old wood cook stove as well, and didn't want to use it as the main source of heat in the cabin and so reserved it for a summer kitchen.  Oh well, it's on "the List" along with many other projects.

Redoverfarm

Just as well Considerations because you would be up all night keeping the fire going in the stove.  I don't know how they used to cook on these.  Seems to me that you spend more time loading the stove than actually cooking. I haven't tried to bake anything yet but from what i understand it is real hard to keep the oven temp regulated.  Maybe that's why there was so many burnt biscuits. ;)

glenn kangiser

I dunno, John.  My grandma used to cook for a whole logging camp on a wood cook stove.... of course I guess that would have made her a professional and we would not be worthy to compete.  :)

Just looked over the last few pix, Scott.  The place really came out nice.  Looking forward to watching your new project.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Texas Tornado

I stumbled across this site whilst looking at small houses...Watching what ScottA did in creating his place made me join up!! The willingness to share the ups and downs of building is so awesome!!
We have 5+ acres in Marshall county Oklahoma and I am wanting to build...And not 1 dang tree on the place! So I planted a few as well as getting the frame up for my Greenhouse...Been taking it real slow and trying to learn what the laws/rules are for the area...I am open for any and all information that the members here can give!! Dad says that the Septic has to be in first...We have "The Barn" and water (well) and Electric to the barn. (The Barn is Dad's play ground as well as the Garden.)

So my first Q is why does the Septic have to be in first? And yes we have had a perk test and will need a double tank(?)
Irene