Opinions: The Kreg Jig

Started by Virginia Gent, August 22, 2009, 04:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virginia Gent

YouTube Infomercial video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LnhMFNqRZ4

There you go. Does anyone own one of these? Also, do you think this tool would be feesable in building your own house? I ask because it looks like a good tool and I would love to have one to make simple stuff around the house. It sure would have made building that knitting box for my fiancee easier. I also ask because I know next to nothing about the actual construction processes of building a house. Seeing the tool in that infomercial, would drilling holes and screwing them in make framing a wall/floor/roof easier/stronger/faster? Is assembling any of the before mentioned with this tool even a reasonable way TO assemble those?
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
~Thomas Jefferson~

new land owner

I have a smaller version of the Kreg tool.  I love it and used it to build the screen frames for my screen house.  I also used it to secure the corner braces I used as well.

The portable one works well so I would think this would be a good tool to have.

Virginia Gent

Do you think it would be suitable for a larger home? Say, the 20' wide 1 1/2 story cottage plans? I have, almost, decided on making a house similar to the Alaska Cabin on the front page of Country Plans, cept I was thinking a garage dormer instead of normal dormers.
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
~Thomas Jefferson~

Jens

I would not use it for anything structural, but it is a great tool to have when doing things such as building cabinet face frames.  I also use mine to put together trim before installing it, sometimes.  Gluing and pocket screwing the leg to head casing is very nice.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

MountainDon

It's a cabinetmaking tool, not a tool to be used for a structure.

How much do the special drill bits cost?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

pickngrin

As Mtn. Don said it's a cabinet making tool - not for building buildings.  Besides, it takes longer to use than a nail gun does.  I have an older one and like it quite a bit.  It's a well-made tool and has worked well for me on several projects with no problems so far.  I used it to make a pair of these tables:

I bought mine 5-6 years ago for about $100 including jig, special drill bit, and special clamp.

rdzone

Definately not for sturctural elements, but it can be very useful when doing trim.  I have used it to preassemble window trim and to add extension jambs to windows.  I also have used it like others have stated for cabinets and face frames.
Chuck

Jens

nice table PNG, is that cherry?
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

ben2go

I have only used a jig like that on furniture.I have helped build a few houses and finish a few.I have never seen any place that I would use one,but I also use a trust hammer instead of nail guns.

pickngrin

Yep, cherry.  This was my first project where I began with rough sawn wood.

Squirl

I saw this on BLOG cabin on the DIY network last night.  It looks like it is mostly for finishing furniture corner joints to hide the screws.

Virginia Gent

Well I thank everyone for their thoughts. It would appear there is a consensus   :D

The reason I asked is because they did a few demonstrations on how strong the joints were and they appeared (at least on TV) to be very strong, so I figured perhaps they were good enough for framing or something else.

I'm also glad to hear that it is, indeed, a good tool to use. I plan to buy my dad one for Christmas, which is a plus because then I get to use it too hehe.

That's a beautiful table too. I hope to become profiecent at woodworking to assemble such fine pieces of furniture to litter my house with  ;D
~Thomas Jefferson~

rick91351

Hey Gent - I did notice the jigs, bits and the pan head screws they market were 'on sale' in the last Woodcrafters catalog.  I would agree that jig would be very useful in some furniture applications.  For me however I think it would be a lot like a biscuit jointer; I just had to have one of those.  Very seldom to I dig mine out anymore.  I went back to my old methodology.  Come to think of it, very seldom did I even venture into the wood shop this summer.  Usually this means there will be a fall - winter season.  I seem to remember two drop leaf tables cut out..... and something about an entertainment center.  Humm!     

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.