Any ideas on how to start building this fire lookout?

Started by avocadofarmer, December 10, 2015, 08:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

avocadofarmer

Hi all,

I've been dreaming of building my version of a fire lookout tower on a piece of property I've got in Southern Ca. I would love to find some plans but have come up empty handed thus far in my long standing internet search. Does anyone have an idea on how to get plans for this? Should I just 'wing it'?  d*

MountainDon

FWIW here's a link to USFS historical plans from the PNW.

If what you want to build today has to meet current residential code, those plans are just historical info.  Today you would need an engineer to meet residential code.

Some of the nicer historical lookouts are built on a stone wall lower level. There are a few scattered about the west that have been renovated and are able to be rented for overnight stays.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

avocadofarmer

Hi MountainDon,

Thanks for the reply...I should have mentioned that my searches have turned up quite a bit about building a USFS style lookout tower. I just would like to make changes (ie only 8' high and maybe 18x18). This is where the trouble begins, because most lookout towers were much taller and some smaller.

It's also worth mentioning that this will be going up on my farm.  I intend to build it to code, but do not intend to jump through the hoops of building inspection.

Don_P

Building that to code would first involve engineered plans. This is one source, these guys are good;
http://www.ftet.biz/index.php?action=services.engineering