Country Plans plan for starter building? garage+

Started by FrankInWIS, July 19, 2007, 08:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankInWIS

Sems like the idea to build the garage first and later the house (staying in the garage for as long as it's needed to accumulate the money or the time for the rest) is pretty common and practical.  

I bought the 1 1/2 plans for later, too bad you don't have a garage w/loft plan for us to buy John.  Idea?

Jimmy_Cason

I asked John about this a while back.. This was his thought on the subject.

.................From a previous thread...............................................................................

A couple of days ago this great little barn was posted by Jimmy Cason.

Now, if I had a small library of modifiable plans I could work up a set of structural plans for this project in short order.

I would start with the 20x30 1 1/2 story plan (http://www.jshow.com/y2k/listings/50.html) - this probably has just about the right footprint for this building and with four options for the foundation I have that sheet almost done already. I think I would use the floating slab option and perhaps leave out the final slab pour and live with a gravel or dirt floor for awhile (you can pour sections with the slab).

For the pop-out addition, you could lift the end wall if needed making the shed roof a bit less of a pitch. This could become a greenhouse with a corrugated lexan clear roof over this section.

I would play around a bit to see whether this works better with a 10' or 9' sidewall. Using the details in the plans you could have a full loft or part of the building open with exposed beams tying the walls together.

The projected lift beam could actually be handy for getting things into the loft.

Working with a stock plan that allows you to do cut and paste drafting (as do all the plans on this site), much of the planning and structure can be worked up rather quickly.

A simple program such as 3D Home Architect would let you layout the interior floorplan, play with the stair options and produce an electrical plan. These could be printed and pasted into your evolving set of plans. For this building that program could probably also do some decent elevations with your customized window and door layouts.

It looks like the building has simple vinyl frame windows trimmed out with a painted 1x4 on the outside. And, of course, the place has been "shrubbed up" nicely (that's an architectural term  ;)).

No doubt about it. The very most cost-effective thing you can do to any building is to put in good long-term landscaping work — trees, shrubs, pavers and walkways. Nothing will add more life to the building while you're there or more dollars to the bottom line when you sell.

HALO-TLC_Studio

Hi,
I will be building a 30X18 studio. I like this design and know I can work with it. I have made drawings of a slant roof design, but was wondering if Jimmy_Cason is available to work with me on extending this design over the net.

Just a thought.

About myself: I am a retired Material Science Engineer (B.S.) and during my earlier years I restored sculptures at the Hirshhorn Museum within the Smithsonian. I have a Bachelors of Science with Material Science and Industrial Arts. My specialty is wood furniture. I do finishing, color matching, hand stripping, fabrication or replacement of parts, touch-up details, and stain removal. Feel free to check on my new jobs that I will feature here. My label is HALO TLC! I will be building a studio. Great Guns!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://s910.photobucket.com/albums/ac301/HALO-TLC_Post/Table/end/TE-2/?action=view&current=1DucanPhyfeCocktailTable.jpg

rick91351

First off welcome........... w*

By slant roof do you mean a shed roof?  I think this might be what you are talking about.

26x50 shop I had/we built!  Long story.   :D  Very doable............

There are a lot of people here that could talk you through such a build.  And John's plans could be adapted and have been to such a roof.   

Couple questions however where in the world are you at?  This helps because of a couple reasons.  If you are in an area that requires a lot of engineering for snow load, wind or seismic or if it is a commercial build most of that has to be done via engineer.  I guess depending on state and location that even varies.     

Studying old furniture is a hobby if mine as well as old porcelain.  That is a nice wall table.  Very interesting design.   Did you build it or a repaint, touch up?  Do you do porcelain?   

I had a Belleek Teapot repaired.  The spout was chipped and had quite a piece missing.  The tea pot a first or second black mark I can not remember but think first.  We heard of a lady up in Canada.  She was trained at the University in Ottawa or Montreal.  She had it about a year, I get an e-mail, it was done.  I was red faced I had forgotten all about it.  She had had to move her shop in the middle of everything.  Wanted to know same address?  Very apologetic!

She did it so well I actually can not tell the difference in restoration between it and the several  other Belleek tea pots we have collected.  I have told my daughter and son in law if something happens to us and you have to auction all this Belleek (we most likely have 100 pieces most first through third black marks)  This is reconstructed and should be sold as such.  Poor daughter does not have a clue when she looks at all of it...... ???   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

HALO-TLC_Studio

Hi rick91351,
I am located in Stafford Va. I have a studio on Historic Rt. 1.
I mainly work with wood. Yes I have heard the gifted in ceramics are good. The glues can stain.

I went to the County today and they said I have to have a Engineer and or an Architect for the Garage build? Crazy. I am a professional with wood. The garage is existing and could be Grandfathered in.

I guess I have to dazzle them with drawings and pay someone 5 bills for a stamp.

Yes, I did touch up the table. I think it would be fun to have a tread on studio plans. Studios do need special needs.

Yes, the slant/shed build would be simple, compared to the example above with the beautifull garden.

Funny, what I touch is gold, but what is in my path is a blizzard mess. I have to get my arms around this garage plan and get it done.  It is within a good scope, being not too big.

You are fast on the draw.

Respectfully,
Kristin

Don_P

Hi Kristen welcome to the forum,

I'm mighty sorry that someone sawed Mr Phyfe's nice round table in half but it sounds like your just the person to fix it back right for him. A very nice piece, is there a story behind it?

I'm down in southwestern VA, the state operates under the 2009 I codes. It sounds like your building dept is viewing this as an IBC, building code, structure which are rendered by a registered design professional. The IRC, residential code, contains prescriptive provisions that allow one to build simple residential structures without engaging the services of an RDP if you can stay within those prescriptions.

Is this how the building official is viewing this project, IBC? Will they allow you to build under the prescriptive IRC?
If they won't budge, can you build another residential structure on your property (think about all the implications, tax, ins, etc)? An inspector scorned is also worth considering.
If so, garage with live in above for the plans? (think about increased costs, plumbing, heating, etc)
I've had to try to make an end run in the other direction but not this way round  :D.

Do you have plans to post?

HALO-TLC_Studio

Hi Don,
Every job I do has a story, and sometimes a gentle ghost which guides my hand. ::)

I spent 12 hours drawing up plans, since I am a B.S. Material Scientist with an Engineering background, however I do not think the County liked a home owner walking in with print outs. It is a known fact they like to work with the common support group. I have even had Engineers tell me, I will never get it through without their stamps. I had one Engineer charge $500 and raise it another $500 for a stamp. After the gauge he told me it was not worth it to do it myself.

Currently, Builders are broke, and I found they are looking for jobs which will pay their bills. A small job, 18X30, can land in a puddle of mud, if you know what I mean. As a female on Rt. 1, I had to learn the hard way. :-\

The no risk approach, is do it slow. Being out of house, I can be stuck with any as built issue. In house "as builds" glide like pancake syrup.

How do I know all this? I worked in house for 26 years. 40% of the County precautions are legit, and the other percent are unnecessary road blocks. Working with it, with road blocks in motion, it translates to 5 steps forward and 4 back.

This is why, I love antiques and the collectibles of the past. The restoration process is 80% full steam ahead. Our ancestors know how to do it. With a good product, the outcome of restoration is a simple wave of a wand.
I saw a posting which I thought was neat. It is a great example of Grandfathered. Interesting the County, will not acknowledge the word Grandfathered or speak the term.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51567 
Scale 1-10, this is a 10
This is what I want to do, just rebuild what was there, in a more simple way then the link. On a scale to 1-10 my job complexity is a 3. as in 103.

I am good natured about it all, just have to venture on. This is the best approach to all jobs.

Bottom line, do we want our landscape to be a cookie cutting board? No, I love the old mixed in with the new. The old has such an attraction.Think about it, you take your hand and labor on something, you would love to know it will be cared for and live beyond your life time. We are in such a throwaway society set in motion for creating jobs and reinventing the wheel. Who did create the first wheel? I love seeing it in the zoo when a monkey rolls himself inside the propped up tire. d*

I will look into what the county will say about the IRC. Thanks Don

Respectfully,
Kristin