Interior Cabin Siding/ Wall Covering

Started by Snow Leopard, November 22, 2017, 10:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snow Leopard

Hello, reaching out to see if anyone is using dimensional 1" pine for cabin interior siding? I am considering this option over paneling and/or T&G as it seems the cost would be comparable and, have excellent integrity, and be less of a hassle than dealing with T&G. Would love to get some feedback on this thinking. And, if you have gone this route how you have prepared material to look good once it's up as a wall covering. Thanks!
Snow Leopard Tree Farm

NathanS

The problem is that the wood will contract enough with seasonal movement that you will get some gaps.

If you don't mind the gaps, you could put tar paper up on the walls beforehand so you don't see the framing and insulation.

Shiplap boards would be another good option, as when the boards contract you'll just see part of the rabbited board. These would go up as easily as a regular 1x board.

From memory, at my local lumberyard, the price difference between 1x8 board and 1x8 shiplap board was very minimal. You could also create the shiplap yourself with a dado blade or router.

Snow Leopard

Awesome.  Thank you so much for your thoughts and advice.  I'll check into it and will certainly go the Shiplap route.  Thanks again.
Snow Leopard Tree Farm

MountainDon

Wood will contract and expand across the width, across the grain as the humidity changes. Staining after it is up may mean that when it shrinks it leaves a line of sustained wood showing. I stain the boards first. I also did a coat of the clear before nailing up.

It is also best to acclimated the wood in the space it is to be installed for a week or more beforehand.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

JRR

My house was built with vertical 1" x 12" in upper bedrooms, on some walls ... and gypsum board on others.  Looks rustic and OK for me.  As mentioned, backed by roofing paper.  If one wanted, a bead of (black?) flexible poly could be inserted in the gaps for a more finished look.

Don_P

T&G is easier to apply than boards, does a better job keeping the air, dust and bugs on the other side of the wall and looks better. To each his own if this is a matter of taste, but the real hassle is the lifetime of gaps and lack of air, dust and bug control. I've set up and run molders, the machine doesn't care if the side heads are spinning straight knives or tongue and groove.  I pay the same per board foot for S4S or T&G, you will lose 1/4" to the tongue.

SouthernTier

If code applies to what you are building, does that disallow straight use of wood interior finish? I.e. doesn't it need gypsum behind it? R702.5 (Other finishes) allows "wood veneer paneling and hardboard paneling" so I suppose pine boards/T&G/shiplap is allowed (although isn't that softwood?), but it also has to meet the flame spread and smoke development requirements of R302.9.  Not sure if pine finishes can do this?  I wanted to put T&G on my walls, and still might, but I was thinking I'd need drywall in addition (first).  Any experts on this?

Don_P

That varies with local interpretation. The only place we are required to back solid wood paneling with gypsum is under enclosed stairs. Just over the state line they must drywall the framing and one layer of tape before paneling. Not a bad idea for energy as well as fire. One can also make the argument that 3/4" of particleboard is considered fireblocking.

Hardboard is the dark brown paneling made from ground up hardwood and bark, pegboard is a common use, Masonite is the big brand name. Softwood or hardwood has nothing to do with these codes.

SouthernTier

Thanks.  That was what I thought.  Will probably put the gypsum up regardless and then make the decision whether to make it cabin-like and put up some pine.  Doing everything by the book, even though I still call it a "cabin".

BTW, I actually did start my project finally but of course that means I am too busy to start a thread.  Maybe will replace that head scratching icon with thread URL sometime this winter when I have the time.  I am sure I will be asking you lots of questions Don!