Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Thursday - December 14th, 2017

14x24 / 2-Story / with Shed Dormers

Got the west gable wall framed up today. Had to do a lot of those angle cuts:

Maybe it'll look like my little drawing?

This is a 44x44 gable window, I'll be doing the same thing over on the other side:

Several years ago one of the members here was working solo, sheathing a steep pitched roof. Suddenly he was no longer posting. Months went by before he came back online. He had slid off the roof. I believe it was head first as he broke just about every bone in his hands and arms. He had to crawl out to the main road IIRC. He did recover, AFAIK, but it was a long arduous process.

We should all take the time and effort to be safe.
Referral Links / Re: Truss Calculators
« Last post by Medeek on Yesterday at 08:18:30 AM »
The license registration module was causing some problems in isolated cases so I've released a sub-rev. 2.1.1b to address that issue.

If you are trying to enter in your serial number and it does not appear to take, first verify that you are not entering in any leading or trailing white spaces if that does not solve the problem you may be encountering the issue at top, in that case download the latest version which should address the issue fully.
Great safety tip about the harness! That's all I got for now. The trick is, try to never have to even
use a harness by making sure there is no way to fall to the ground. Last place I built I made
scaffolding all around and it helped greatly. It really didn't take all that long to build it out of scrap
lumber and I felt much safer up there on that 12/12. I may build temporary scaffolding like that for
this place also.

If it were me, I'd invest in a proper harness. I can't imagine what that belt would do to you if you were to fall.
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Peaceful Ambitions - 14 x 24 House
« Last post by Peaceful Ambition on December 12, 2017, 06:42:46 PM »
Well I'm dead tired, worked sunup to sundown and nurising a hernia so I'm pooped! Got all but about 3 trusses up, we had rented a manual (crank operated) forklift to lift these suckers and it worked great. My help had to leave due to a family emergency so couldn't get them completely done but here's just a basic pic for now of the progress and I'll try and upload lots more detailed ones in a day or so.

I forgot to grab the actual measurements for the loft but I'm curious now so I'll post those tomorrow. And yes I'm very interested about the mattress you got! Ours is in need of replacement and even when we lived in a house we had it on the floor, just feels better to me; I don't like squeaking and rocking and stuff anyway so that'd be great especially for the price (as long as it's comfy)

Glorious progress-
Tuesday - December 12th, 2017

Put a full sheet on top of the south shed dormer.

I'm building this totally by myself so I really have to be careful with every step and every decision
while I'm up there. The top of the ridge is over 25' from the ground.

I stood on the 2nd floor contemplating how I was going to get that heavy sheet up on top of that
dormer section for about 1/2 an hour. I basically lifted it up into the first floor and then attached a clamp to
hold onto the top 8' and then I lifted it up the ladder and through the stair hole up onto the second floor.
From there I lifted it up through the middle dormer rafters and wrestled it up on top of the rafters
holding onto the clamp to get it into position.

I've also been tying myself off with this huge leather belt and a ribbon cord just in case of a slip.

Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Peaceful Ambitions - 14 x 24 House
« Last post by dablack on December 12, 2017, 02:18:32 PM »
That is a good sized room and very similar to our attic trusses.  Our span 24' and have a 8/12 pitch.  This gave us a six foot ceiling and a 8' wide room (ceiling is about 7' wide before sloping down) that is the length of the whole house.  We use it as a attic but it is fully floored and has full size steep stairs going to it.  I've got the HVAC, pex distribution block and hot water heater up there.  Plenty of room left for storage.  My oldest wanted her bedroom up there and it wouldn't have been a problem for someone that is 5' 4".  HA!
I think a bedroom up there will be fine as long as you have the matress on the floor.  No bed frame!  Maybe a box spring.  NOTE!  Our last mattress that we got, we ordered online and it is fully foam and cost less than $300.  We love it.  Was delivered in a big bag that I could get my arms around.  You carefully pull it out of the bag and cut off the plastic.  Then it spends the next 24 hours expanding to its full size.  They don't need a box spring at all and would be great on the floor.  We have some friends that have had their's for 5 years and it has held up great.  Let me know if you want more info. 
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Lair Of The Bear, Incline Village Lake Tahoe
« Last post by pmichelsen on December 12, 2017, 08:05:46 AM »
Wow place is looking great.
Tuesday - December 12th, 2017

Got more sheathing on the small 12/12 pitch section done by the end of the day yesterday.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10