20X36 two story - Prescott AZ

Started by Cougr67, January 30, 2015, 01:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Section in right hand foreground... There seems to be a stud misaligned. Just to the left of the window.  If that is the worst error you ever make you are doing fine.   ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Texas Tornado

missing board under the one window...Double doors into your place?

UK4X4

We use bricks where I come from and we stagger joints but when using timber we do it too

Making top and bottom plates different  lengths and not having the same join position in both front and rear walls...

Just adds strength to the structure, those in the know  can advise code wise

Cougr67

You got it Don. I Think we just failed to nail it in on the top. Easily fixed.

UK - That really makes sense to stagger the joints, I will do that on the remaining walls.

So what is the consensus about sheathing, either partially or completely while the walls are laying down? There will only be two of us raising the walls, longest section is 24 ft. i bought two Qualcraft 2601 Wall Jacks, the ones that use a 2x4 to lift the walls.  Has anybody used these wall jacks? Is it reasonable for two people to lift a fully sheathed 24 foot wall with these?

Todd

MountainDon

Even a partial sheathing will help keep the wall square as you lift it.

I've not lifted a wall longer than 16 feet by myself. I had a jack but not that one.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

Particularly sheet.  Beware of wind and wind gusts.  Make sure you understand the jacks and how they work.  If you need to walk through it a couple times until everyone understands no harm done.  On the railroad, we called it a job briefing to make sure everyone understands the whole job.  As our instructors taught us painting verbal pictures of what is going to happen and how you need to counter the problems you expect to encounter.       

Props and braces at the ready.  Make sure 911 is loaded into the speed dial.     

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

dablack

I had one of those jacks and it didn't work at all.  I was trying to lift a 26' section of fully sheathed 8' wall.  Nope. 

On the first house, I was working alone and building 10' walls (1.5 story).  I learned I could lift a 8' section of 10' wall with horizontal sheathing at the top.  It took lots of measuring but it got done.  Then I went back and put in the top plate to tie it all together. 

On the house I'm building now (two story on slab), I used the tractor to raise the lower walls and then brought my buddies and lifted the upstairs walls.  I hate ladder work, so the upstairs walls were fully sheathed and house wrapped.  It took three adult men to lift the 26' section (my 11 year old girl and 8 year old boy helped too).  The 52' long section was lifted with 11 guys.  I don't think you need that many but that is how many came to the wall lifting party so that is how many we used.  I think only one had lifted a wall before.  The rest were scared to death. 

I left the end pieces of sheathing off the 26' sections so I could have the sheathing overlap the ends of the 52' section.  It worked really well.  I put a rope and clamp on the OSB, threw it over the top and lowered it into position.  Tied it off, then went on the ladder outside to nail it on and finish the house wrap. 

I would try to get some buddies out there with a pig roast or something like that.  I would hate for that jack to fail....

Austin

Matthewpeace

Quote from: Cougr67 on January 30, 2015, 04:07:01 PM
Thanks Don and MP

MP, I can't believe how fast your place went up! Are you working on it full time? It looks great and similar to what mine will look like. I will start on the subfloor in the next month or so but really have no idea how long it is going to take me to build. My regular job in Phoenix allows me 3 or for 4 days a week to dedicate to the build so hopefully it will go quickly now that I am building with wood and not concrete. My girlfriend (holding the bolts) has been a great help but wont be able to be up there as much as I due to work schedules.

I am looking forward to have you guys to bounce ideas off of and get general advice. There are some aspects of this build that I haven't been able to wrap my head around yet. Like 2nd story walls with no second story floor to build on. Just got to keep telling myself, one step at a time.....

I started a website for my build also if you would like to see more pictures www.TheNordinePlace.com

Sorry for the late response.  I worked on the house every night after work and sun up to sun down on the weekend. I love the Prescott area. And you have a nice looking piece of land. If you can do 3 to 4 days a week the time will fly and you will be done before you know it. As far as the second floor walls I would assume you need the subfloor in upstairs first. It should be a nice summer here with lots of nice days to build

Cougr67

We got a couple walls raised this last week. I raised the two short side walls that are only 12 ft long and the front wall is 20 ft.
Turns out the wall jacks I bought work well. Raised the two short walls partially sheathed by myself using one jack. The front 20 ft wall I had help and used two jacks but didn't sheath it at all.

Will get the rest of the walls up this weekend and start on the interior walls

thirsty57

Hi. I am in Mayer & am thinking of building the same house that you have. Did you have to go through local engineering to get the plans approved? Any modifications to the plans? Any information would be appreciated. Also, I am retired & would be willing to give you a hand with the project. I was a home builder for some 40 years & have most of the tools. Thanks. Gene

Cougr67

T57:
I drew out the plans on on a computer program called "Home designer Suite 2014" then hired a home designer from Prescott to tweak my plans and walk  then thru the building department. There was quite a bit of engineering involved. The county required soil testing and engineer  recommendations ($2000) and then the shearwall and hold down engineering was another $800 or so. My plans don't resemble the 20x30 plans from this site very closely although they were the initial inspiration. I decided to go with 2 full stories instead of the story and a half. The overall height of the building ended up being almost the same but i only needed a 5/12 pitch to the roof instead of that 12/12 pitch that seems so scary to work on.  I will start framing the second story in the next couple weeks so I am not sure if that was the right decision yet but when it is all done I am sure  will be glad I did it.

Here is a couple pics of where things stand. All the ground floor walls are up and framed and we started on the interior walls

thirsty57

Thanks for the response. Would you mind sharing the names of the firms that helped you go through the permitting process?

Cougr67

Troy at T5 Drafting and Design. he took my drawings, drew up the plans. Dealt with the building department, dealt with the engineers etc. Even came out on-site with the soil engineers. All at a very reasonable cost. Well worth it unless that is a pert of the build you would like to deal with. I was happy to pay him to handle the bureaucratic red tape

thirsty57

Thanks for the information.   Gene ::)

Zona

I've been lurking here for about 4 years and can say confidently that your foundation is the one I want to use the most.  That just looks amazing.
I've got two guns, one for each of ya.

Cougr67

Wow, thanks Zona!

I have been building my second story walls this last couple weeks. I will update with pictures soon

Todd

thirsty57

I can't seem to find a telephone # or location for "T 5 DRAFTING & DESIGN". Could you help me with that? 

Cougr67

Go to Prescottplans.com and fill out his contact request. He will get right back to you

dablack

Come on Todd!  We need our pictures!

Cougr67

Wow, it has been a long time since I posted.
Let's see what I can do from my phone
This was April 14th

Cougr67

This was last week, about April 27th

Was rainy and snowy but I was able to get the rest of the second floor walls framed.
This week I am sheathing and maybe even put up some trusses. They were delivered today

thirsty57

Cougr67

I am starting trusses and have a couple of questions
Blocking; plans specify blocking at the top plate with ventilation. The heel height of my parralel cord trusses are 16 inches. Can I just use a 2x10 and  a 2x8 stacked to achieve full height blocking? Out is there a better way of achieving this.

Neither my building designer or truss manufacturer speced it any other blocking. Like ridge blocking. Is that necessary?

Venting; I have seen either notching or round hole used as venting. Is one better than the other? How many and how big do the notches or hole need to be?

Thanks guys!

schiada

The cost from 5D was about $3000 ?

I'm south of Prescott in Wilhoit and will be building a 1 1/2 story home. So I will be keeping a eye on your build.

Thanks,Randy