16 x 24 on Piers in New Brunswick

Started by Enzo, July 16, 2014, 08:49:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enzo

Hello,

I thought I'd introduce myself to this forum since I'll be spending the few months + here. Very glad I've stumbled upon this site.  I've already read through a few of the builds and find the information and support here to be second to none.  My plan is to build a 16 x 24 + 6' porch on a post and beam foundation. Well actually first let me say that I have basically no "real" construction experience. I've finished a basement, and built a few decks in the past, but that's really it. Perhaps I'm in way over my head in thinking I can construct this cabin from the ground up. That being said, I'm very meticulous, plan on doing things correctly (whatever that is) with a budget in mind. I don't cut corners to save a dime.

I bought my land over 10 years ago, and it's time my family of 4 gets to use it for more than over night camping. I'm located right on a lake which is fed by the Saint John River, New Brunswick, Canada. It's nice and dry for 49 weeks per year. It's those other 3 weeks during the spring freshet that requires the Pier foundation which will put the cabin 7' above ground and 3' above the highest recorded flood line.

I've just obtained my 3 permits, soil disturbance and view clearing along waterway, as well as the building permit. Site is now basically prepped and ready for the 27 holes. For this I'll be using a skid steer with 18" auger. Due to my remote location and lack of access, I'll be mixing all my concrete with a barrel mixer using quickrete.

I encourage any feedback. The good, the bad and especially the ugly :)

pocono_couple

wow.. 7 feet above the ground...  this is going to be interesting!     looks like a nice wooded spot...  looking forward to pics of your progress!   jt