Our 20 x 34 1-1/2 story cabin in Michigan

Started by mogie01, July 30, 2010, 12:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mogie01

Redoverfarm, we purchased the railing from a local sawmill.

mogie01

ajbremer, husband is finally home and now we can answer those questions for you :)

1) How deep and wide is it at the base?  -  the footings are 16" wide by 8" deep

2) How wide is it above the base?  8"

3) What is its total height?  56"

4) How high above the ground on the outside is it? 2'

5) How many yards of concrete was used?  we had this work done so not sure about the quantity, sorry.

mogie01

This weekend we picked up our siding and soffit materials from the sawmill.  We are using rough-sawn cedar for the soffits, 3 x 8 handhewn white cedar half logs for the siding, 4 x 6 D-Logs for the trim and 8" logs for the corners .  It was a beautiful weekend and we were able to get the soffits finished.  Next week we plan on starting the trim.

Soffits on south side of cabin

Soffits on north side of cabin

oifmarine

You are making some good progress.  Keep the pictures coming!  Nice work so far.

mogie01

We were up at the cabin on Saturday and installed all of the d-log trim around windows and doors.  We also painted around the door trim to match the windows.

Back of cabin

duncanshannon

Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

mogie01

On Saturday we drove up to the cabin and worked on getting the log corner posts installed.  The first one took us two hours  d* but after we figured out how to cut them the other three went up easier.  Now that all of the trim pieces are up we hope to start putting up the log siding next weekend.

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

oifmarine

Where are you getting the log siding and how much is it?

mogie01

Quote from: oifmarine on June 20, 2011, 02:44:41 PM
Where are you getting the log siding and how much is it?

Thanks, Oifmarine and Sassy.  I'm excited about seeing the siding up on the cabin :)  Then comes the staining.  I know it seems like a lot of work, but we've always wanted our own log cabin ;D  Oifmarine, the siding was purchased from Town and Country, Boyne Falls, Michigan and it cost $3.36 a lf. 

oifmarine

Thanks!  I can't wait to see it all the way up.  Looks great so far.

mogie01

We've started on the siding on the west wall, so far it's going good  :)

Jayburr

Mogie, love your place, keep the thread and photos coming!

j.

mogie01

Sided up to the roof and started on the front

Started siding the front of the cabin. 

box for outlet

front door

sharbin

very nice indeed.

May I ask you what you will be using for the Fascia? also are you still using the forklift to access the high end of the gable, or are you using other method?

We are currently doing our siding/soffit/fascia. Up till now I only used ladders, but in order to get to the high apex of the gable and install all these things I am still not sure what is the best way to do it. I already baught scaffolding, but enough to get me to a 10 feet section at a time (the cottage is 20x30, gable being the 20), which means I have to dissmantle and re-install 4 levels of scaffolding, which I must admit is scaring me :-\

mogie01

Sharbin the fascia has rough sawn cedar on it and we used a 32' extension ladder to reach the peak.  It would have been nice to have used the forklift but we had already handed it back and thought we could make do without it.  Good luck on your siding/soffit/fascia.

sharbin

wow... that is interesting carrying the whole thing up there using a ladder let alone installing it  ???

on a different note, what did you use for soffit ventilation?

oifmarine

Quote from: sharbin on June 27, 2011, 01:10:40 PM
very nice indeed.

May I ask you what you will be using for the Fascia? also are you still using the forklift to access the high end of the gable, or are you using other method?

We are currently doing our siding/soffit/fascia. Up till now I only used ladders, but in order to get to the high apex of the gable and install all these things I am still not sure what is the best way to do it. I already baught scaffolding, but enough to get me to a 10 feet section at a time (the cottage is 20x30, gable being the 20), which means I have to dissmantle and re-install 4 levels of scaffolding, which I must admit is scaring me :-\

Sharbin-
There is another thread on here I saw where someone installed the scaffolding on a trailer and moved the trailer with their truck as needed.  Needless to say, level ground would be a must for that.  Just an idea.

oifmarine

Here is the build thread that shows the scaffolding.  I couldn't figure out how to insert a picture so you will have to go to the thread and check it out.  It is near the bottom of page 7.

astidham
OKLAHOMA 20X30 SINGLE STORY  

Dropped image in here (you can see how it was done)

mogie01

Quote from: sharbin on June 27, 2011, 06:06:33 PM
wow... that is interesting carrying the whole thing up there using a ladder let alone installing it  ???

on a different note, what did you use for soffit ventilation?

We're going to insulate the roof with foam so we won't be needing soffit ventilation.

Redoverfarm

Just a word to the wise on scaffolding.  If you are using cement blocks to level always use the webbing up verticle and not horizontal.  It is also a good idea to use 2X material on top of the block for the legs to sit on.  When I did my house I had it stacked 5 high.  No matter how strong or sturdy the base is it will be shakey at the top.  If you have a window on the gable end you might consider tieing off to the interior.  If you are setting it up on recently filled soil use a base plate of 2X to keep the block from sinking with the weight of the scaffold and yourself over time. 

astidham

Quote from: oifmarine on June 27, 2011, 06:37:51 PM
Here is the build thread that shows the scaffolding.  I couldn't figure out how to insert a picture so you will have to go to the thread and check it out.  It is near the bottom of page 7.

astidham
OKLAHOMA 20X30 SINGLE STORY  

Dropped image in here (you can see how it was done)

the scaffold has adjustable feet for ~15" of leveling.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

mogie01

Redoverfarm

Looking good. Nice job.  Now if I can get my railings to look half as nice I will be satisfied.